How do I make friends at the range?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

lithiumiioxide

How do I make friends at the range?

Post by lithiumiioxide »

I'm not the most talkative guy, and when I'm at the range I get even quieter as I try my best to concentrate. Things get a little lonely however, so how do I meet new friends at the range without disturbing their trainings?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Re: How do I make friends at the range?

Post by atomicgale »

lithiumiioxide wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:12 am I try my best to concentrate,
so how do I meet new friends at the range without disturbing their trainings?
Maybe best just to concentrate. Want friends? Go to a bar. Just ask this guy:

John Foster

Post by John Foster »

Join a club that have competitions, meetings, etc.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Go to the range:
Don’t violate gun safety rules.

Use good range etiquette. (Be amenable when others need to change targets.)

Make a complimentary comment about someone else’s rig (this could include trucks but not spouses).

After that the conversation will usually flow and you might get to shoot other people’s cool stuff.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

When you and another take a break, ask about their equipment. What kind of pistol is that? What caliber? What ammo do you use? Is it accurate? How's the trigger on that thing? And so on. Most shooters are willing to give advice if asked. Just remember that the advice is an opinion, worthy of consideration, but not necessarily something that will work for you.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
Rover

Post by Rover »

Ask if anyone can show you the benefits of "wet shooting".

Show up at the range drunk and in your underwear so you can, "Train like you fight."
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Walk up to somebody (when they are not taking aim) and say " Hello, I'm ______, glad to see another air pistol shooter here".
You already have something in common, most likely they don't have a flock of disciples well versed in the arcane niche of air pistol.

Ignore the d!ckhead remarks made above; there are a lot of good people here that are very generous when it comes to sharing their knowledge in a positive and enthusiastic manner that promotes the betterment of anyone who wants to learn and improve their shooting. And a small handful of d!ckheads, @sshats who imagine they are entertaining rather than tedious.
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Take an interest in other people's equipment.

Ask them for advice.

Tell them they are doing it wrong.

Works for me. ;)
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Get a really big gun, with aftermarket extended magazines if possible, ideally which are no longer available legally.

Get the most powerful ammunition you can, handload heavier loads if necessary

Blast away, preferably from the hip, don't worry if you can't hit the target, in fact save time and targets by not having a target just shoot at the dirt.

People will flock around you to catch snippets of wisdom.

But really:

Ask for advice.

Try to find something in common.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Way to set an example there mr. potty mouth!
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Depends, for me, on the range.

My private club range, I will wave and say hello and judge whether the person seems open to introducing him or her self. I’m focused on my own shooting, but being a club, I do make a point to walk over and simply say “hello, I’m Rod, nice to meet you” and extend my hand, and it’s always reciprocal. But being focused myself, I don’t belabor the conversation because I figure they too are focused. The advice about inquiring about the person’s equipment or complimenting it, is very good. I could see myself asking whether they shoot often, when, and saying “well I hope to see you again.” It might also help to ferret out whether the person is similarly another bored shooter by asking whether they know of any groups or competitions in the area.

One rule I have is never bother someone until it’s clear that they are taking a break, or maybe we are walking down to check and change targets, or they are picking up to go home.

Public range, usually indoors down here, aren’t conducive. More likely to make friends with an employee. However, there’s been a few times where I’ve smiled at a good target or someone’s clear enjoyment, maybe a new shooter, and given them a thumbs up. I’m not shooting a glock or clone, so often I get asked by the other person what I’m shooting. Nor am I blasting away, so I’m a bit of an odd bird and that will sometimes attract a question. In fact recently an employee referred to me as “ah, the one-handed shooter is here tonight!” and I laughed.

I also never criticize another persons shooting, equipment, etc. nor give advice unless clearly asked. And remember, there’s lots of different “gun people” and many are cautious about getting chummy.
hurt22

Post by hurt22 »

Start winning… or at least try hard! That will gather attention. You can also ask those winning or “trying hard” what they are doing right!!
It is great fun to get to know fellow shooters… some of the “best” people around!!!😁
Rover

Post by Rover »

What happens when the he is winning?
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I am old enough to remember and be part of the Disco Rage. Living in New York there was always lots of places to go and plenty of John Travolta Saturday Night Fever types, so the easiest was for me was Take a $20.00 bill and walk up to someone with it in our outstretched hand and say "Want to be my friend?" Of course that was in the late 70s, so it may take a Benjamin Franklin now.

Being serious though, as pointed out, the easiest thing is to find something that is common and what is more common at a gun range than the gun(s) you are others are shooting. You could buy something exotic and bring it to the range so that people will see it and ask about it, or maybe you have something that fits the bill, or as pointed out, just ask about theirs.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
william

Post by william »

Seriously? Just be yourself and don't try to act even a tiny bit smarter than you are.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

best way to make friends is to buy everyone a drink
works every time !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
rbs

Post by rbs »

Rover wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 am What happens when he is winning?
doubt that you know anything about winning, but obviously know a lot about it
Leon

Post by Leon »

bdutton wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:24 pm Take an interest in other people's equipment.

Ask them for advice.

Tell them they are doing it wrong.

Works for me. ;)
You left out -

Be scornful of their pistol and shooting equipment.

Question whether or not the shooter's parents were married when he/she was born..
Rover

Post by Rover »

rbs wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:55 pm
Rover wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 am What happens when the he is winning?
doubt that you know anything about winning, but obviously know a lot about it
Nah, I'm not a Democrat.
rbs

Post by rbs »

Rover wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:18 pm
rbs wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:55 pm
Rover wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:12 am What happens when the he is winning?
doubt that you know anything about winning, but obviously know a lot about it.
Nah, I'm not a Democrat.
you own it