Choosing a Sling

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

imadoctornota

Choosing a Sling

Post by imadoctornota »

Hello, I will need to purchase a sling for my incoming rifle. I was checking to see if anyone had recommendations.
Tim S

Re: Choosing a Sling

Post by Tim S »

You might want to check this recent thread asking a very similar question: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=64646

If you are relatively new to sling shooting, a simple synthetic sling will do the job. Close spaced-holes for fine adjustment and sturdy buckles are good. I like the ESE. In the USA there's the Hata, a close copy of the well regarded Kurt Thune.

More experienced shooters often like fancy self-centring slings with in-position micro-adjustment, like the Centra and Truttmann. The self-centring feature can reduce pressure on your arm, and the sling carrying a pulse beat to the rifle.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

When I needed a sling for Smallbore because my Palma Rifle sling was too wide I went with the Anschutz "Professional." Just like
Tim's recommendations, it is synthetic and has a lot of closely spaced adjustment holes. It is also very reasonably priced. I am very happy with mine.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

Used an Anschutz leather Professional sling for over years and it functioned great. Upgraded to the Thune ATL sling over 3 years ago and like it even more.

Looked at the Centra, but know of too many that the material ripped out and failed. Maybe it’s been resolved, but I’m not sure.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

1813benny wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:33 pm Used an Anschutz leather Professional sling for over years and it functioned great. Upgraded to the Thune ATL sling over 3 years ago and like it even more.

Looked at the Centra, but know of too many that the material ripped out and failed. Maybe it’s been resolved, but I’m not sure.
Ken,

I picked up a used Centra recently, and the strap material is very thick, considerably thicker than my ESE (roughly equivalent to Thune's biothane). The single thickness of strap is comfortable over the wrist too.

Should have said in my first post to consider leather if one has any wrist injury.