USA Shooting Announces the Hiring of Peter Durben as National Rifle Coach

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

USA Shooting

Post by USA Shooting »

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (December 13, 2021)

Peter Durben

USA Shooting, the National Governing Body for the Olympic shooting sports, announces the hiring of Peter Durben as National Rifle Coach starting on January 1, 2022. Durben will be responsible for all management, training, and programming for the US National Team programs in the Rifle discipline.

A selection committee consisting of coaches, staff, and the Rifle USAS ACC Rep was assembled in October to evaluate candidates for this critical position. That committee forwarded their recommendation to USA Shooting CEO Matt Suggs for final approval. The committee received applications from a very qualified group of candidates including four past Olympians. “I was impressed with the quality of candidates in this selection process,” said Suggs. “Peter is another example of reaching into our national team alumni pool to bring back highly talented individuals who bring an athlete-centric approach to our team.”

Peter will be succeeding his brother, Dan, who led the U.S. rifle team through a highly successful 2021 season resulting in eight World Cup Medals, two Olympic Medals, five President’s Cup Medals, and 12 Junior World Championship Medals. “I am very excited and privileged to work with some of the world’s best athletes,” said Durben. “My brother and the USA Shooting staff laid the groundwork for success, demonstrated by our great performances this past year. I will dedicate myself to bringing out the best in every athlete, and to working with our sponsors, staff, and coaches to make Team USA the best in the world.”

Durben began his shooting career in Minnesota, competing in both rifle and biathlon as a junior. He attended the University of South Florida where he was an All-American before graduating with a bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering and was named the USF Outstanding Graduate in Chemical Engineering. After college Durben became a resident athlete at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs and secured a place on the 1992 Olympic Team. He earned his master’s degree in Chemical Engineering from Auburn University in 1998 and began a career in manufacturing which included over 20 years at the 3M Company. While pursuing his busy professional career, Durben still found time to coach elite-level junior camps and to serve as an assistant coach and team leader on multiple national team trips to Europe and Asia.

Durben will be based out of USA Shooting Headquarters at the Olympic and Paralympic Training Center in Colorado Springs.