New target shooter looking for gun recommendations

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

just-jp

New target shooter looking for gun recommendations

Post by just-jp »

Hi all,

I’ve been shooting shotguns and handguns for over 20 years. Recently joined a club that has a bullseye pistol group. Went to a couple of practice sessions and am interested in joining them, but I don’t have any .22 guns. What would you recommend for someone new to this? Not looking to spend a ton to get the best everything. Just need a good basic gun that will hold me for a bit if I decide to get more serious and compete. Recommendations I’ve received so far are for:

Ruger Mark IV
Browning Buck Master
S&W Model 41 (which appears to be a lot more expensive than the others)
Also some type of red dot since my old guy eyes can barely see a target at 50’.

Thanks in advance!
Xman

Re: New target shooter looking for gun recommendations

Post by Xman »

This similar to my Buckmark Trailside.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918673406

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/917765430

Pair it up with a Vortex Crossfire and your all set.

Be advised. Cleaning the these Buckmarks requires taking off the rail and dot, and removing the barrel. Unless you use a pull thru from the chamber out towards the muzzle. Return to zero on reinstallation should be very close.

Other Buckmarks without the full rail might not require removal of the short rail if so equipped.
tovaert

Post by tovaert »

FYI...I'm selling a Ruger Mk IV Hunter. I bought it for my wife, but it's too heavy for her. It has less than a brick of ammo through it. Comes with the target grips, Volquartsen trigger kit and extractor (installed), and will lift a 2# weight, so it's legal for bullseye. It also has the scope mount installed. With the Hunter model, the sight radius is also within the rules. Accurate and reliable. FFL to FFL only. PM me if interested.
John Powers

Post by John Powers »

Look at the Walther/Hammerli Exesse, It will outshoot you for a loong time and not stupid expensive. I shoot an older version with a Sig Romeo5 dot and its very nice to shoot. You can get into one for under $1000.00 and it'll serve you well.
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

Any of the three guns you mentioned would work well. I've competed with them all. Accuracy wise, it would be hard to discern any difference between the three. It boils down to ergonomics and trigger. The Ruger and the Buckmark will require trigger work to get the best performace out of them I've done trigger jobs on Rugers using Volquartsen kits. These are decent, and require some fiddling to intall the new parts, but you won't get anything like a European two stage trigger. The Buckmark is easy to improve. There is an aftermarket spring that's easy to install and the results are great. The S&W is fine the way it is. There is an internal trigger spring adjustment that is easy to work with. These are superb pistols, especially the old ones. My only dislike is the weight. They are very heavy. Don't wait. Buy a pistol and compete. Once you get into it and determine that you want to be a top competitor, you can then consider upgrading your equipment. I ended up with a Hamerlii 208S. Fantastic gun. I might consider a Pardini however.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Just JP.

If you definitely cannot afford a Pardini, do yourself a favor.

Do not ever, Never! Ever! Evereverever! borrow a Pardini to see how it shoots.

It's like taking a peek through a Swarovski Spotting scope.

Just don't.

You're better off not knowing.

Regards,
Crankster
High Left

Post by High Left »

"It's like taking a peek through a Swarovski Spotting scope. "

And bumping your glasses against the eyepiece before being able to see the whole FOV? Just like a Zeiss, Leica, Optolyth ...
twl

Post by twl »

Another option (which I thankfully took years ago) is to go with Nelson or Marvel 22 conversion on a 1911 receiver. Just or more accurate as 41's, High Standards, etc .. but benefit of allowing you to standardize on 1911 setup which will help you with centerfire and .45 matches in 2700's if you ever decide to go that far.
robjob

Post by robjob »

I don't think pardinis are all that special, especially considering the price tag...

At this price range it's more about personal preference and long term goals. I made master with a buckmark and now shot a nelson conversion
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

For what it’s worth, if you’re considering a S&W 41, you might take a look at a used High Standard Victor for at least equivalent accuracy, trigger and function for a lot less money. In my experience, better than a 41 in each area. $600 for one in very good / excellent condition shouldn’t be difficult and it’s not much more than a new BM or Ruger, maybe less when you start adding trigger jobs / parts / upgrades. Support, parts, springs, and magazines are available via High Standard Texas / Interarms.

You can go down a rabbit hole researching high standards. Simple rules, demand confirmation that there’s no frame crack, shoot only standard velocity ammo, put in some fresh springs, and don’t be afraid to tweak magazine lips. It SOUNDS difficult to adjust new mags (if they need it), but it’s not. If I can do it…

Or pick whichever of your choices have a trigger and feel that you like best and start shooting. Shoot the crap out of it, learn it’s trigger and idiosyncrasies. But like a lot of things in life, as my wife says, it’s not a sex change operation. You can undo it. If later you decide you like a different pistol, you’ll have gotten your money’s worth. Sell it, keep it as a backup or loaner, or make it your plinker.

For that matter, start by borrowing or trying out pistols that other club members have. Most shooters are all too happy to offer them up and give advice. You might even find someone ready to sell one of theirs.

Hope that helps.
Highstandard.USA

Post by Highstandard.USA »

You should buy a High Standard "X-Series" Victor Target Pistol made in Houston Texas. Visit our website highstandardfirearmsusa.com . We will have a new lot of them ready to ship in about 2 weeks. - Alan Aronstein
bking

Post by bking »

The OP ended up with a Ruger and shot his first match last weekend.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

bking wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:52 am The OP ended up with a Ruger and shot his first match last weekend.
Great choice. Pick the one that you think you like AT THIS POINT and start shooting. Hope the OP enjoyed the match and learned a lot.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Dear HighStandard.USA
Since you are a retailer, I hope you are making contributions to Pilkington for the "advertising" and use of this forum for your personal gain.
huntfrund

Post by huntfrund »

crankythunder wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:22 pm Dear Just JP.

If you definitely cannot afford a Pardini, do yourself a favor.

Do not ever, Never! Ever! Evereverever! borrow a Pardini to see how it shoots.

It's like taking a peek through a Swarovski Spotting scope.

Just don't.

You're better off not knowing.

Regards,
Crankster
Good advice, Crankster.
Mark7

Post by Mark7 »

When choosing a gun it's important to get YOUR angle on the grip. For example between all the pistols with Ruger 10/45 grip (eg SW41) or Ruger classic (eg Benelli and Pardini), huge difference!
Get yourself Benelli 95 or 90. Nothing compared to their trigger and accuracy. Never got the results from Padini or SW41 close to Benelli 95
Troystat

Post by Troystat »

While most of the really serious bullseye shooters are shooting various Euro guns now starting out with a Ruger MKV is not a bad idea, they are accurate enough almost always reliable and inexpensive. If you go the S&W model 41 route I would go with a very clean older one, some of the 41's are fussy but my early 70's model is a joy to shoot and does not favor any ammo but I always shoot CCI SV. I have shot a few older High Standards and they have great triggers and most of them have a grip angle that matches a 1911, my favorite HS is the Slab sided model. Good luck and have fun.