clicking sound in Steyr evo 10?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Drdinglab

clicking sound in Steyr evo 10?

Post by Drdinglab »

Just got my new Steyr evo 10, very excited indeed!

I won't be able to try it until this weekend but I noticed some clicking* sound if I tilt the pistol left and right.
video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Zrj9why62jPcikhQ8

At the moment the cylinder is empty and it sounds like something is movable inside the bolt roller, the noise disappears when it's cocked (F/T position).

Just wondering if this is completely normal? I hope I'm just overthinking!
brent375hh

Re: clicking sound in Steyr evo 10?

Post by brent375hh »

The striker is free to move back and forth when not cocked. After you shoot it with air and the anti recoil weight gets unlatched, it will also move some until you cock it again.

Not to worry.
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

brent375hh wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:41 am The striker is free to move back and forth when not cocked. After you shoot it with air and the anti recoil weight gets unlatched, it will also move some until you cock it again.

Not to worry.
Thank you!!! I can sleep tonight :D
Agt. Smith

Post by Agt. Smith »

Sweet dreams ! (The K12 does the same thing......!)
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Drdinglab wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am Just got my new Steyr evo 10, very excited indeed!

I won't be able to try it until this weekend but I noticed some clicking* sound if I tilt the pistol left and right.

At the moment the cylinder is empty and it sounds like something is movable inside the bolt roller, the noise disappears when it's cocked (F/T position).

Tell us it's all good now.
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:24 pm
Drdinglab wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:42 am Just got my new Steyr evo 10, very excited indeed!

tried it a few days ago and it works. However, I've heard multiple answers from other who suggest the sound could be caused by stabilizer in the bolt, or missing hammer spring. I have mixed feelings now....
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Drdinglab wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:37 pm

tried it a few days ago and it works. However, I've heard multiple answers from other who suggest the sound could be caused by stabilizer in the bolt, or missing hammer spring. I have mixed feelings now....
If you had a missing hammer (striker) spring, it would not fire when you pulled the trigger. You could take off your grips to easily see if it was the stabilizer weight, but if you have cocked it once and dry fired, it would still be cocked, as releases under air pressure.
Last edited by brent375hh on Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Post by william »

You don't know how lucky you are. Every time I shift my weight (fortunately 40 lbs less of it than a couple of years ago), I hear and feel clicking in my left knee.
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

brent375hh wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:43 pm

If you had a missing hammer (striker) spring, it would not fire when you pulled the trigger.
make sense!

Quick update, I just checked with a Steyr lp10 user who also suggests it could be due to the stabiliser moving back and forth, however his lp10 doesn't make such a sound when not cocked and lever fully down...I assume lp10 and evo10 are basically the same..
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

william wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:45 pm You don't know how lucky you are. Every time I shift my weight (fortunately 40 lbs less of it than a couple of years ago), I hear and feel clicking in my left knee.
the million dollar question: does your knee make the clicking or is it that your knee can feel the clicking sound coming from your pistol :P
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

If you had a missing hammer (striker) spring, it would not fire when you pulled the trigger. You could take off your grips to easily see if it was the stabilizer weight, but if you have cocked it once and dry fired, it would still be cocked, as releases under air pressure.
AHA found where the sound come from. you were absolutely right that the striker(hammer) and the spring moves back and forth a little bit while it's not cocked. Although I'm still confused why not everyone's hammer moves...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2UsuWdhqWyLDcPdA
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Mine doesn't move much because I put a little bit of synthetic grease on it where it contacts the trigger sear. Some people would say it will never wear enough to make a difference, and they are probably correct.
Drdinglab

Post by Drdinglab »

brent375hh wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:59 pm Mine doesn't move much because I put a little bit of synthetic grease on it where it contacts the trigger sear. Some people would say it will never wear enough to make a difference, and they are probably correct.
glad to hear that this is common! You saved my day again, thanks a lot for the advice! :)
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

So the question arises as to why this somewhat atypical condition occurs in the your EVO10. Check the speed (energy) of the pellet. The energy of the hammer will be very small and if the pellet still has a sufficient speed (150 - 160 m / s), the pressure regulator can be atypically adjusted. Usually, the hammer spring on this pistol has a minimum residual spring preload, even when not cocked. Of course, I do not rule out that I may be wrong as well. Watch and you will see in time. Good luck.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Mine both move back and forth with the bolt all the way down. That is an unusual condition for mine to be in. My bolt is only in the F mode when actual firing. Otherwise it is in the T position. The T position probably will have some spring preload, as it hold the striker from contacting the firing valve. The F position (all the way down) should have a slight rattle back and forth, as it is allowing the striker to go all the way forward.

When not using mine I lift the bolt so that the seals are not always compressed.

OP: You have nothing to worry about.
Jai1432

Post by Jai1432 »

How to fix this clicking sound in steyr Evo 10e?
Jai1432

Post by Jai1432 »

Drdinglab wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:11 pm

AHA found where the sound come from. you were absolutely right that the striker(hammer) and the spring moves back and forth a little bit while it's not cocked. Although I'm still confused why not everyone's hammer moves...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2UsuWdhqWyLDcPdA

Please help! How to fix this clicking sound?
mus

Post by mus »

It doesn't need fixing - this is normal and you shouldn't worry about it if your pistol shoots fine.
I'd check it over a chrony and if it outputs ~150-155 m/s consistently, just enjoy your pistol.