Anschutz Match 54.30 1918 Precise Stock sights ?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Peter H

Anschutz Match 54.30 1918 Precise Stock sights ?

Post by Peter H »

I have recently bought a new Anschutz Match 54.30 in 1918 Precise Stock. Along with it the shop fitted a Gehmann 590 'Compact' Rearsight and a Gehmann 523 Foresight Tunnel with a Anschutz Clear Plastic Element (No Anschutz sights in stock). What I am finding is that I am having to turn the windage on the foresight almost all the way to the left to get on target.

Is this likely to be a bad / faulty sight or and incorrect / incompatible sight. I'm really not that bad a shot and my range office has tried it to and finds the same. I've noticed that it does not fit the dovetail perfectly even though the specs say both sights fit most rifles. Any suggestions gratefully received.
Tim S

Re: Anschutz Match 54.30 1918 Precise Stock sights ?

Post by Tim S »

Peter,

Do you mean adjusting the windage on the rearsight?

The Gehmann Compact has a pretty good reputation for being great value for money. But due to the internals, it doesn't have the largest adjustment range. There should be enough to zero, assuming the sights are centred on the dovetails, but you might struggle with elevation if you want to shoot at 25, 50, and 100.

If there is any slop in the dovetails take this up so the sights are better centred. You can cut shims from aluminium drink cans. If you're clicking the rearsight to the left, shim the rearsight (or foresight) so it sits further right.

The 54.30 comes with a barrel extension/bloop tube. If you're using this, make sure it's properly aligned. Alternatively, rotating the whole tube (with locating collar) clockwise (from the butt) a fraction, would move the foresight over.

If neither If these work ask the vendor to swap the foresight tunnel for a Centra. That's what Anschutz fit now anyway. That should be properly centred on the tube/muzzle dovetail.
Last edited by Tim S on Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Martin H

Re: Anschutz Match 54.30 1918 Precise Stock sights ?

Post by Martin H »

Hi Peter
As Tim says, sounds like your front bloop tube isn't aligned correctly. You need to adjust the bloop tube clamp so it is centred.

Re-centre your rear sight. Then fire a shot (it will hit out to the right)
Loosen the bloop tube clamp (rear two screws).
Then loosen the bloop tube (front two screws) and twist the tube in small increments towards the shot until you are hitting the black.

Tighten the clamp up and adjust the sights so you shooting 10's.
Cheers Martin
PS Much easier if you get someone to adjust the tube while you stay in position. It is fiddly but worth it.