Pardini FR22 vs Walther KK500

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

imadoctornota

Pardini FR22 vs Walther KK500

Post by imadoctornota »

I am doing another quick poll on getting others' opinions between these two rifles. I am in a good place to finally purchase my own match rifle and hoping to make a more informed choice between rifles that are likely very similar, although may still have differences that I am not aware of. I can get the Pardini for cheaper than the Walther (5k vs 6k). The Pardini was released more recently. Availability for the Walther seems to be limited at present when I could get the Pardini relatively soon.
imadoctornota

Re: Pardini FR22 vs Walther KK500

Post by imadoctornota »

After talking with my coach, he expressed concern on the Pardini rifle webpage not providing much information regarding its specifications and having typos compared to the Walther KK500 webpage where you get a very good sense of its nuances. He noted how the rifling did not go very far in the barrel leaving a reasonable length of non-rifled barrel length.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

You might also consider spare part cost and availability. Specifically firing pins, extractors. Are tools required for bolt disassembly? Are they available?

Definitely try to touch and hold one before purchasing. Maybe your Pardini dealer can direct you to some other Pardini owners that you could talk to.

I wonder what the inside barrel diameter is in the unrifled section. If it's considerably bigger and downrange of the rifled section, then there's probably an advantage (shorter time until the bullet isn't influenced by the shooter = more forgiving).
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Where do you get the idea that the barrel isn't rifled all along*? Are you mistaking the rifling pitch for rifling length? The technical specs list 406.4mm (16in) against the rifling, and 620mm (24.4in) overall barrel length. 406.4mm isn't the length of the rifling, it's the just the twist, ie the distance the grooves take to turn 360°. The same entry also lists the number of grooves. It's normal for the twist to be shorter than the barrel; the grooves turn more than once. Take the Anschutz 1913: a 16.5in twist in a 27.2in barrel.

If you want poor translation try Bleiker's description of their bolt; it's meant to say front locking lugs and tight headspace reduce wear and improve consistency, but the translation was mangled and some have read it that the bolt auto-adjusts headspace.

*Obviously excepting the chamber.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

Where do you get the idea that the barrel isn't rifled all along*? Are you mistaking the rifling pitch for rifling length? The technical specs list 406.4mm (16in) against the rifling, and 620mm (24.4in) overall barrel length.
That makes much more sense.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211221-070722_Chrome.jpg
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I was thrown for a minute the first time I read European specs as I was more familiar with the term “rate of twist.”
rbs

Post by rbs »

I shot next to a young gentleman that has a Pardini FR22 and I was impressed with the rifle, in both performance, fit and finish, and his assessment. He had just taken possession of it and was very happy with literally everything about it. It is a good looking setup, I wouldn't hesitate to give it go. He shot some excellent groups with it to go with his outstanding scores. I think you'll see more and more of them in the near future
imadoctornota

Post by imadoctornota »

Does anyone else have a take on the Pardini FR22? My coach is not convinced on the rifle. I am finding it an attractive choice because it is on sale (only until the end of the year) so even if it does not work for me I could sell it for a profit, and Pardini is a company banking on earning Olympic and ISSF medals. While it does not have much history or medals yet since it was released just this year, I am inclined to believe it will be a competitive rifle. Per rbs, it sounds like a decent rifle and likely competitive with the Walther kk500 that my coach seems more inclined for as he knows someone with one who likes it.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Cannot cut & paste new ISSF rules .... or search them.... Dumb PDF formatting.

Anyway how is Pardini getting around the rule 7.4.1.2 where only one gun is allowed .... specifically mentions that the stock may not be exchanged, but that is exactly Pardini touts in their web ad --- exchangable rear stock.... ????

Looks to me like one of those dancing on the edge of the razor blade solutions......
lyoke3

Post by lyoke3 »

Jhmartin,

7.4.1.2 states: "The action, barrel and stock may not be exchanged, except that a detachable butt-stock may be exchanged."
New account - locked out of previous account "lyoke2"
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

It’s a great looking rifle and the price right now is very competitive. I like how they did a very good copy of their air rifle (which I own and really like). I considered getting one for my daughter but they are right hand only. I wish they would have been able to come up with an action like the KK500 that can flip the bolt from right to left hand. FWIW I bought my daughter the KK500.
MGComp

Post by MGComp »

I own and shoot a pardini. I have had it for most of the year and have found it to fit me well. Between the two rifles I do not think you could go wrong. While walther did have some issues initially, they did correct those problems.

I mentioned in another post that the tilt and lateral adjustment of the cheek piece makes it so you would really want a different cheek piece for each position if you plan on adjusting anything besides the height.

In the end, I am glad that I went with the pardini. My experience with Pardini USA has been very positive, and I have not found any reason not to recommend their new rifle.

Feel free to send me a message if you have more specific questions about the rifle.
imadoctornota

Post by imadoctornota »

Would you recommend the extra stocks with or without the buttplate?
MGComp

Post by MGComp »

I would think that the only reason not to get the buttplates with the rifle is if you have others that you can use already or plan on trying different brands/models.

You could always do without at first and purchase them separately once you get your positions setup.