refurbishing an old stock

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

stalil

refurbishing an old stock

Post by stalil »

Good morning gentlemen, may I ask your advice on refurbishing an old stock of a Anschutz 380. Specifically I would like to know how to re-blacken the grip areas of the stock ( the areas where the surface of the wood is rough in order to enhance grip). Should I use an acrylic black paint, some kind of woodstain or what? I hope this is the right place for such a question. Thanks and regards
Stavros
Leon

Re: refurbishing an old stock

Post by Leon »

I find that woodstain works really well
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

I just used a stippling point on a soldering iron to re-stipple the grip of my air pistol. The blackness comes naturally when the texture is burned in.
stalil

Post by stalil »

thanks gentlemen for your time
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Bear in mind some wood finishing materials do cause skin problems, they aren't all suitable.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

JamesHH wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:48 pm Bear in mind some wood finishing materials do cause skin problems, they aren't all suitable.
This is true. Boiled linseed oil seems to be a safe standard for that sort of thing. It's what I use in all my guns.
As a reference, I attached a photo of my newly stippled AP. I'm pretty happy with the results.
Attachments
Gunsmall1.jpg
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Does anyone know how manufacturers do stippling?