Stolen stuff

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

John Foster

Stolen stuff

Post by John Foster »

Am I allowed to post guns that are being used without my permission?
Rover

Re: Stolen stuff

Post by Rover »

Only if they are in your possession.
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

???
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

If you're saying your guns have been stolen and they're being used by someone else that could be construed as defamation, slander, whatever the local word is.
So pilkguns could get sucked into a court case. Its up to them as site owners if they want to risk it.
John Foster

Post by John Foster »

I had a burglary several years back. I did a police report and had a couple of returns. I would like to post a couple every once in a while and maybe someone remembers at a sale etc.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

With all due respect, your initial post was confusing and it resulted in confused responses.
Some thoughts: please read all of these.
No one has claim to stolen goods except the owner from whom they were stolen.

If you had serial numbers and gave them to the law enforcement official when reporting them stolen the firearms should have been entered into “NCIC” as stolen from you. Sadly, a large portion of owners don’t have serial numbers recorded and this drops the likelihood of recovery to near zero barring other circumstances, i.e. an apprehension WITH a confession of where it came from.

If you reported the firearms stolen with identifiers as mentioned above nothing should stop you from publicizing them as stolen. If you list them on a forum like this expect trolls, phishers and scammers responding.

I have recovered and returned stolen goods, including firearms, many years after the theft and most every one was because it was on NCIC.

The above refers to actual burglary and larceny, not civil torts and/or contracts where facts and ownership are murky and up for opinion.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

The OP was confusing

If the plan was to post a picture "This was stolen from me and this person is using it" this can open up all kinds of problems.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

The OP never mentioned pictures.
Mr. Foster, contact Scott Pilkington (pilkguns) by PM and give him the details and ask your question. If you have serial numbers you should be allowed to post descriptions of firearms stolen from you as the result of a burglary that was reported to police and you have a “case number” for that incident. You should have done this immediately after reporting the burglary. The passage of time is not your friend when it comes to larceny.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

JamesHH wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:06 pm So pilkguns could get sucked into a court case.
So let's play the game of Clue:

It was Rover, in the library, with the .44 Magnum . . . .
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I would be more likely to believe it was Rover if the suspect was disguised in a French maid outfit while whacking a bailiff’s……well, you know what.