Recommendations of gunsmith for 1911 in SF bay area?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

DocDerm

Recommendations of gunsmith for 1911 in SF bay area?

Post by DocDerm »

Hi,

I have 2 Les Baer 1911's that need trigger jobs. Want a light crisp SA trigger 1.5-2 lbs.

Anyone have any gunsmith to recommend located in my area?
What has your experience been with them working on your guns?

Thanks
DocDerm
dulcmr-man

Re: Recommendations of gunsmith for 1911 in SF bay area?

Post by dulcmr-man »

The trigger pull weight you mention is too light to be legal in competition as far as I know. If you want a carry gun (in SF?) that's also too light IMHO. Were you to be involved in a self-defense shooting with such a light trigger a prosecutor could easily make a case that you were at least partially negligent. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Don't do it!

First, has each pistol been thru the 500 round minimum break in period? Even then, it's several hundred more until the trigger gets "truly sweet."

Second, money better spent on a third Les Baer with the 1.5" guarantee. Lighter trigger vastly overrated, and a sub-#2 trigger on a 1911 and you've lost "total reliability."

Third, if still in doubt call Les in Iowa at (563) 289-2126 and he'll probably personally get on the phone to chew you out for such a radical idea.

Hope this helps!
DocDerm

Post by DocDerm »

My thanks to atomicgale and dulcmr-man for their input.

My motivation for a lighter trigger weight in these 1911's is the presence of significant arthritis in my hands. A two stage lighter trigger really helps me shoot better with my other pistols.

I shoot at targets soley for recreation and pleasure. I am not participating in sanctioned competitions with fixed rules on trigger weight.

Glad to hear that with more rounds through the pistol the trigger will sweeten. Also appreciate cautioning of not dropping below 2 lbs. Reliability is a requirement.

Would welcome other input

Thanks
Rover

Post by Rover »

Painful arthritis, shooting .45s, and worrying about trigger pull?

Silly man, take up air pistol.
sparky

Post by sparky »

For 1.5-2.0lb 1911 triggers, you're probably not going to find folks on here who know much about them. They'll probably think it can't be done reliably or that it'd be dangerous. You'll want to talk to gunsmiths for folks who shoot USPSA/IPSC, where such trigger pulls are routine. Probably best to talk to the folks over on the Brian Enos Forums here: https://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?act=idx
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

sparky wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:17 pm For 1.5-2.0lb 1911 triggers . . . You'll want to talk to gunsmiths for folks who shoot USPSA/IPSC
This would be the "Mag-Dump" crowd, where "Accuracy is achieved thru massive volume of uncontrolled blind shooting," and the simple, practical limitations of mechanical engineering are negligently ignored & regarded as some heretical spectral phenomenon.

Anyway, my original premise: Lighter triggers are overrated (and totally unnecessary.)

Stick with 500+ grams air pistol, 4+lbs 1911, and let talent do the rest.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Nice editorials

But the OP is looking for experienced local gun smith. Any recommendations?
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Trying for under 2.0# on a 1911 will get you a hammer that goes to half cock unless you Always hold down the trigger when you release the slide. You might get away with it if you are using a 8-10# recoil spring. When the slide goes into battery with a 16# spring, it jolts the gun forward fast enough to cause the static inertia of the trigger to trip from the full cock notch and be caught in the half cock. Its also hard on sears.

If you are shooting a 9mm 1911 with a lightweight aluminum trigger, your goal might be realized.
Good luck on finding somebody that will take on the task.
DocDerm

Post by DocDerm »

Thanks to all the respondents.

I have modified my goal to a 2.5 lb trigger. Is that a realizable goal?

Thanks
DocDerm
sparky

Post by sparky »

DocDerm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:20 pm Thanks to all the respondents.

I have modified my goal to a 2.5 lb trigger. Is that a realizable goal?

Thanks
DocDerm
Like I said, 1.5-2.0 is imminently achievable...you're just asking the wrong crowd. You can probably get a 2.5lb crisp trigger with a good drop-in hammer/sear/disconnector kit, like an Extreme Engineering Extreme Ultimate Trigger Kit -Lite Speed kit or Koenig/EGW Ultimate Trigger Kit and lighter mainspring. Have you asked over on the Brian Enos forums?
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

DocDerm wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:20 pm I have modified my goal to a 2.5 lb trigger. Is that a realizable goal?
Nooooo!!!!! Why ruin a perfect 1911 for the over-hyped sake of trigger weight?

But if you insist, once you've completely ruined it, go ahead and paint a mustache on Mona Lisa.
High Left

Post by High Left »

I'm not you, and don't have an issue with arthritis ... yet.

But, I'd be wondering if the grip required to shoot a 1911 well is ultimately gonna be a bigger problem than the weight of the trigger pull. And I wouldn't think the recoil is gonna do you any favors either. But I've got neck problems and still go out and abuse myself.

There *was* a guy in the BA (recently, 10-15 years ago) that was good with 1911's. And a guy at Reed's in SJ that worked for him at some point, I think. Ordered my LB NM thru him, 2007. Ricky? And I bumped into a guy at SVRGC that seemed to know what he was talking about. No idea if a legit gunsmith, or somebody who worked 'under the table'.

There was also a guy in Reno my cousin had finish off a Titanium/Damascus SS 45 several years ago. Name was familiar, but I can't remember it. Sorry.

Most of the people I know there ship them off to Dave Salyer these days. Quick turn and reasonable pricing. But, likely not willing to turn one down that low. I'd guess that would be an issue wherever you go.

A 'good trigger', is a good trigger, regardless of weight. A smooth roll is helpful. 2-1/2lbs is the legal limit for centerfire, BTW. So there's a chance you can request that for your 45 and not get turned down.
DocDerm

Post by DocDerm »

1) thanks to High Left, I did track down Dave Salyer and sent off an email to see if he can help me lighten the trigger pull on the 1911‘s.

Anyone else have any Gunsmith To recommend in the bay area?

Happy new year and thanks To everyone who has contributed to this subject.
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

Any bullseye Smith can do a 2.5lb trigger on a 1911 and it will be totally safe.. i do my own roll triggers and have several 38 spl and 38 super 1911 with them.. in Ca, Try Jon Eulette. Dave Salyer is a fine Smith located in SC.. with our modern sears and hammers its not rocket science..
High Left

Post by High Left »

I just got a set of real trigger weights. Turns out my 45 was too light, sure felt that way last time I shot it. Had tweaked it in with a Lyman gauge. Nice smooth roll though. It has a KC Crawford CMP roll trigger kit in it. Pretty much a drop in and tweak the spring install. Need to tweak it back a bit. Had to file a smidge on the safety to make it work.