Electronic vs. Manual/Mechanical Trigger

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Cbratton

Electronic vs. Manual/Mechanical Trigger

Post by Cbratton »

I have come across a couple models of precision air rifles that have options for either an electronic or traditional, mechanical trigger mechanism, such as the Walther LG400 Monotec. What are the differences in these, is one or the other far superior, and do you have any advice on which I should consider purchasing if I do not have a means to test either of them out for myself before purchasing?

Thank you,
Charlie
spektr

Re: Electronic vs. Manual/Mechanical Trigger

Post by spektr »

Its all about feel.
Electronic triggers are reported to have "faster" lock times.
Mechanical triggers are reportedly better when you set them up for best feel.

Heres a thought. Airguns of Arizona used to have a shooting lane in their store and I went there years ago
to shoot a lot of rifles. Its worth the ticket price to me to actually handle the hardware. Call em up
and see if they still do it. Their website still shows it. ALSO going to Phoenix could also be a chance to shoot with some high quality shooters, and if you offer suitable liquid refreshments, I bet they make you a weekend guest at their range. Theres a lot of talent and good advice to be had.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Would an electronic trigger offer greater longevity, if there are fewer moving parts, both in terms of routine re-tuning and potential wear? Modern mechanical triggers are very good, and won't run out of juice at inopportune moments.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Tim S wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:43 pm Would an electronic trigger offer greater longevity, if there are fewer moving parts, both in terms of routine re-tuning and potential wear? Modern mechanical triggers are very good, and won't run out of juice at inopportune moments.
If you believe the history of Electronic free pistols, the boards die with much more frequency than mech triggers break.
Go find a Walther Free pistol with a working Electronic trigger, I dare ya.....
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

spektr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:01 am If you believe the history of Electronic free pistols, the boards die with much more frequency than mech triggers break.
Go find a Walther Free pistol with a working Electronic trigger, I dare ya.....
No familiarity with any free pistol I'm afraid. Is this representative of all electronic triggers, or did Walther just not do a good job on that one? I shot with a chap who had a FWB KK SuperMatch that (20 years ago) had survived weekly use since the 1980s. The owner's only complaint was that the reset time was too long for him to shoot timed competitions.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

It’s hard to think of anything electronic that’s designed to last more than 5 years. I could go on about this but think of all the electronic stuff you have and think how much of it’s designed to last. Based on my experience in every area this is the weak part. Mechanical triggers on the hand on this level of equipment in my experience last 20-30 years.