S&W Model 41 Rear Sight Variants

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

dulcmr-man

S&W Model 41 Rear Sight Variants

Post by dulcmr-man »

I have a S&W Model 41, SN TAD81xx. I've read that S&W used a number of different rear sight variations but I have been unable to find information that will help me identify which rear sight I have. I'm asking because the rear sight notch is too narrow for my old eyes and I'd like to find another rear sight blade to modify, allowing me to keep the stock item in original condition.

I would appreciate any help about when this gun was manufactured and/or which rear sight is installed. I have searched this site without success and I've been to a number of S&W sites including their forum without success so far.

Please see attached pics.
Model 41 (1).jpg
Attachments
Model 41 (3).jpg
Model 41 (2).jpg
Rover

Re: S&W Model 41 Rear Sight Variants

Post by Rover »

It appears you are showing the sight from the short barrel (for Intl). Just order the one for that barrel.

The sight for the long (7 1/2") barrel is completely different.

Or just say screw it and hog out the rear sight because it just doesn't matter.

BTW I like to use a 3/16" chain saw file, available very cheap at a hardware store. It makes a perfect half moon.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Rover wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:04 pm It appears you are showing the sight from the short barrel (for Intl). Just order the one for that barrel.

The sight for the long (7 1/2") barrel is completely different.

Or just say screw it and hog out the rear sight because it just doesn't matter.

BTW I like to use a 3/16" chain saw file, available very cheap at a hardware store. It makes a perfect half moon.
Thanks, Rover. This is a shorter barrel, but not sure how long. It's about 5" but now I'll have to measure it.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

The sight illustrated was used on the Model 52 and Model 41 5.5" Heavy Barrel.

They are no longer made.

Use caution modifying your sight as replacement parts are difficult to source.

Also, changing out the rear blade involves replacing the windage nut and screw.

Cheers,

Dave
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

fc60 wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:16 pm Greetings,

The sight illustrated was used on the Model 52 and Model 41 5.5" Heavy Barrel.

They are no longer made.

Use caution modifying your sight as replacement parts are difficult to source.

Also, changing out the rear blade involves replacing the windage nut and screw.

Cheers,

Dave
Thanks, Dave. I know they are no longer made. Some parts are available at Numrich, but I'm not sure if the sight they illustrate matches mine. Additionally, the rear sight blade is out of stock. I'll search some more before carefully modifying the one I have.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Dennis:

there were a number of rear sights used on the SW 41, they had the standard sight which is what I believe you have, then they had a match target sight which is bigger and provided more positive and repeatable adjustments, and then they had a "revolver" style sight which used the same rear sight that is used on most of their target revolvers.

Rather then messing with the rear sight on your barrel, why don't you check out ebay and gunbroker and see if you can find a new barrel with the target (ERMA? i think?) rear sight. Probably a lot cheaper then messing with the sight on the barrel you have now and then you will have two barrels, one of which you can put a red dot on.

Regards,
Crankster
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

crankythunder wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:36 am Hey Dennis:

there were a number of rear sights used on the SW 41, they had the standard sight which is what I believe you have, then they had a match target sight which is bigger and provided more positive and repeatable adjustments, and then they had a "revolver" style sight which used the same rear sight that is used on most of their target revolvers.

Rather then messing with the rear sight on your barrel, why don't you check out ebay and gunbroker and see if you can find a new barrel with the target (ERMA? i think?) rear sight. Probably a lot cheaper then messing with the sight on the barrel you have now and then you will have two barrels, one of which you can put a red dot on.

Regards,
Crankster
Thanks, Crankster. That's not something I thought about. However, when I bought the gun used it came with two barrels. One is the standard 5.5" with the iron sights shown. The other has the long tang cut off and is grooved for attaching a scope base. I'm currently running a Burris Fast Fire III on that barrel. I'm not sure I want yet another barrel, but it's worth considering.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
Rover

Post by Rover »

I, too, cut the tang off my long barrel when I had a scope base mounted. I also cut the base off and filed everything flush with the barrel. It fixed those hard to clear stove-pipes.

My heart-felt suggestion to you is to say screw it, file out the notch, and move on. This has just become silly.
dulcmr-man

Post by dulcmr-man »

Rover wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:06 pm I, too, cut the tang off my long barrel when I had a scope base mounted. I also cut the base off and filed everything flush with the barrel. It fixed those hard to clear stove-pipes.

My heart-felt suggestion to you is to say screw it, file out the notch, and move on. This has just become silly.
I concur. After a lot of searching I've not been able to find the part I need, so I will attach the rear blade with a file with a safe side so I don't deepen the notch. I'll do a few strokes on each side, give it a try, and proceed as needed.

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman