How to develop steadier hold for Bullseye?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

liziegarb

How to develop steadier hold for Bullseye?

Post by liziegarb »

I'm shooting in a league tomorrow night...and it's gonna be ugly. I've read the guides and am working on stance, grip and not snatching the trigger and so on. What I'm working on is reducing the arc of the wobble. I know it will never be zero, but if I can cut it in half I'll be able to score north of 600/900.

Weights? Or will muscles just add to the amount of tissue to vibrate?

I kind of grok the notion of NPOA with a rifle, prone, with a sling. I don't really get it with Bullseye style. I have to use muscle tension, and I can make that arm point all sorts of places pretty naturally.https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/
Last edited by liziegarb on Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Freedman

Re: How to develop steadier hold for Bullseye?

Post by Mark Freedman »

NPA with a pistol is pretty simple.

Stand at a 45 degree angle to the target. Hold up your arm to the target(no gun needed). Close your eyes, and wave your arm left and right a few times. Then point your arm at where you think the target should be. Now open your eyes. If you are not pointing at the target, keep you arm/shoulder alignment the same and move you feet so that you are now pointing at the target. Then repeat the process just to make sure. The whole thing just takes a few seconds.

That's your NPA.

Good luck,
Mark
Rover

Post by Rover »

The above is pretty good.

Just remember there is no REAL NPA. It will change during a shooting session and from day to day. You can forget marking around your feet and "locking" yourself in.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:16 pm The above is pretty good.

Just remember there is no REAL NPA. It will change during a shooting session and from day to day. You can forget marking around your feet and "locking" yourself in.
But if you've had a group tightener too many, marking your foot positions may help you find which bench you're shooting from.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Not quite what the OP was asking but related. My advice is don't linger and don't be afraid to bail and redo your shot process. This is for SF. TF and RF is more of an learned instinctive process. Practice will make you develop the TF and SF sight picture/hold and shot cadence.

I check my foot position and stance when the call is made .."Is the line ready" and I lift my pistol up to check my sight picture (dot or irons) in the frame edge (center) of the target and change foot position as needed (rarely). Then lower and lift to fire at "All ready on the firing line". This is mainly for TF and RF. Slow fire is very similar but I have more time to lift and aim and fire and adjust if needed. I have been advised to hold on the target at least 2 seconds after the shot in SF as SF is my main problem. Jury is still out on that one but watching others (EX, MA and HM) shoot I see that they do linger on the bull after the shot. My follow thru was kind of non existent. Am working on the follow thru.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Lizzie:

The question was to develop a steadier hold for bullseye shooting. Probably have the dot or sights jumping from edge to edge of the target, trying your best trigger pull and hoping for the bestest?

First off, download the USMC pistol book and devour the first half of it. Ignore the second half until you get a bit more experience. The USMC book is one of the best instructions for the five basics, stance, breath grip (hold), sight picture, and trigger pull.

Now if you have identified a steadier hold as the one issue that is holding you back, there are two things that effect a steady hold. Your grip and muscles. Your grip should be personal, it needs to be firm but not too tight. Personally, I emphasize the front to back pressure as opposed to a all around squeeze. Your middle finger should have the majority of pressure on the front.

Now for your muscles, you need to build them up. One exercise that I highly recommend and do myself is with a pair of small dumbells.

Go to the bathroom and take a piece of tape and make a horizontal line perfectly level at about waist height on the mirror. Now take the barbell and hold it in front of your belly button slightly away from your body. Now slowly rotate it out forward so it points directly at the mirror, keeping your elbow at a 45 degree angle and watching the line so that you do it level and horizontally. Now bring it back to your belly button but not against your chest. Start with a 4 pound weight and slowly increase it but not too much, currently I am at 8 pounds. I last about 5 minutes on each arm before I have to put it down but I have been doing it a while. Do not get too heavy of a weight, enough that you can keep it suspended for two minutes out in front of you with your elbow at a 45 degree angle.

For what it is worth, I got this exercise from a physical therapist that was coaching a fellow pistol shooter back into form and I figured if it is good for a guy that has torn his shoulder apart, well it should be good for me!

Takes about two weeks of daily exercise to notice a difference.

I do it every day that I do not have a match, when I slack from these exercises my scores suffer.

Give it a shot lemmie know how it works.