Winter Training

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

MAGComp

Winter Training

Post by MAGComp »

Hello everyone,

It is starting to get colder up north, so I am trying to figure out how to continue practicing smallbore through the winter. Currently, it looks like I would only be able to live fire every other weekend, but I am considering building a range in the barn to keep heated.

Some questions that come to my mind:
How often would you recommend live firing as opposed to SCATT work and dry firing?

Are their any downsides to dry firing much more than live firing for several months?

Let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,

MAG
rgibson

Re: Winter Training

Post by rgibson »

In proposing an answer to your question I am reminded of the thoughts of another Coach (Level 3) who works with us during our Summer Camp. He says dry-firing is more beneficial in training than live-fire.

I would say 75% dry-fire and SCATT, 25% live fire. That way you won’t create another worldwide ammo shortage this winter as well.

Everybody would love to have a heated range in their barn. But, do you want shooting practice or construction practice. If your barn is already heated, has a Smallbore backstop, and proper ventilation then 74% dry-fire, 26% live.

Just my opinion
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I agree with rgibson. I think with dry fire the focus tends to be more on the process and not the score.

I disagree with rgibson on the range in the barn- build it too. I have a range in my shop. Very nice.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Hey man, I am not above practicing or even shooting a match in a heated barn or shop. Down here in South Carolina we will be shooting matches outdoors all through the winter. What I need is an air-conditioned barn or shop to shoot in the summer when it is 98 degrees with 100% humidity.
RByars

Post by RByars »

Hey Bob
I know you didn’t make it but the few times we shot at The Citadel indoor range a couple of winters ago was great.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I’m IN!!!!
MAGComp

Post by MAGComp »

Thank you for your replies!