Thumb Hole

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

conradin

Thumb Hole

Post by conradin »

I am trying to figure out whether I can handle a rifle with a thumb hole grip. I am a leftie, but most of the thumbhole is for rightie. I did use to have a Anne 64 that has a left thumb hole.
If you have one, can you be so kind as to show me may be a couple of photos that show you holding the rifle but using the "wrong" hand, thus showing if it is possible for me to shoot lefthanded on a rightended stock with a thumb hole.
Tim S

Re: Thumb Hole

Post by Tim S »

Conradin,

Unless you are very lucky, most thumbhole target stocks are very single-handed. Some are more ambidextrous than others. Less one-handed might be a better way to phrase it. Remember, the thumbhole isn't cut at 90° through the stock, it's more like 45° to follow the natural contours of your hand. It's this shape, as much as the lack of space for your thumb muscle, that makes it hard to hold a thumbhole wrong handed. The grip itself may also be canted slightly (sticking out further right at the base), which would kink the wrist when held left-handed.

Then you have cast-off and the cheekpiece. Anschutz 1413/1613/1813/1913 right-hand stocks all have Cast Off; this means the butt isn't parallel to the barrel, but sticks out to the right. Cast Off brings the sights to the shooter's eye. But, if one holds the stock left-handed, cast off puts the stock further away from your eye. In addition, the cheekpiece is usually very square on the right side, and you'll struggle you get your eye behind the sights. And if the cheekpiece is adjustable, the hardware will dig into your jaw.

In short it can be done, but not without permanently modifying the stock. I'd think any left-handed stock would be preferable to using a wood thumbhole stock. Symmetrical alu stocks (Walther KK500 or System Gemini (mostly)) can be switched relatively simply: changing the grip, and possibly the cheekpiece too.
Last edited by Tim S on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Thumb holes are for the most part found on wooden stocks. I really think you should just spend the money and buy metal.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

You know your not supposed to put your thumb in the hole right?