Question on pistol practice

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

simbokarl

Question on pistol practice

Post by simbokarl »

Hello, I picked up my first pistol and have been to the range a number of times. I am curious what distance most people use for practice? I often see people shooting from 7 yards at fairly small targets. Is this a competition distance or a law enforcement test distance? Is there a distance that is considered “optimal” for pistol proficiency?https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/
Last edited by simbokarl on Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
izzyjim

Re: Question on pistol practice

Post by izzyjim »

7 yards is what most people consider a home defense distance . So if you can keep your shots inside a man sized target at 7 yards, you are probably accurate enough for home defense.
However, you probably will not notice any aiming errors at that short range. Distance magnifies errors, so if you practiced at say 25 yards, aiming errors become obvious, and you can work on fixing them. Making hits much more reliable at 7 yards.

Most pistol competitions are fired at 50 feet, 25 yards, or meters, and 50 yards, so people practice at those distances also. Its all up to you.
Rover

Post by Rover »

I am a "Precision Pistol" (bullseye) competitor and Air and Free Int'l shooter.

When I am at the range and see 7 yard shooters, I know they are piss poor shots. They generally are shooting pistols that are hopelessly inaccurate for my games, and, due to ammo cost, will NEVER get enough practice. They can be dangerous to be around, too, due to unsafe gun handling.

If you are interested in hitting your target, you might attend (free!) a Bullseye match to see what's going on. If you want to experience the truly accuracy crazed, have a look at an Air or Free Pistol match. Free advice abounds at these events.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Rover wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 am I am a "Precision Pistol" (bullseye) competitor and Air and Free Int'l shooter.

When I am at the range and see 7 yard shooters, I know they are piss poor shots. They generally are shooting pistols that are hopelessly inaccurate for my games, and, due to ammo cost, will NEVER get enough practice. They can be dangerous to be around, too, due to unsafe gun handling.

If you are interested in hitting your target, you might attend (free!) a Bullseye match to see what's going on. If you want to experience the truly accuracy crazed, have a look at an Air or Free Pistol match. Free advice abounds at these events.
Hear, hear!!!
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Rover wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:44 am If you are interested in hitting your target, you might attend (free!) a Bullseye match to see what's going on. If you want to experience the truly accuracy crazed, have a look at an Air or Free Pistol match. Free advice abounds at these events.
This advice is totally free??? ;-)

To the OP, toward the end of my range trip last night, I shot 50 rounds rimfire at 7 yards. But my target was 3” across and my goal was less than an inch. The reason for 7 yards was so I could call my shots and compare that with the actual impact without retrieving the target (no scope). It turned out to be a very good session. My practice goal was drilling my focus into an immediate consistent hard focus on front sight and trigger manipulation keeping the sights perfectly aligned.

It was very helpful. The gentleman next to me was shooting at what appeared to be 5 yards with a green laser. It was all I could do to keep from offering some advice. It would have been rude and I’m a novice. Then again his spread was about 18” vs my (mostly) 2” groupings.

Here’s the deal as far as I’m concerned. Folks go to a gun range for a thousand different reasons and I don’t want to “that guy”. Saturday evening looks like half the lanes are either date night or folks who might have gone bowling. And they seem to be having fun. I’ve met some folks who are there just for fun and we both have a great time shooting and chatting about what each other is doing. Very cool.

So my thought is that you go shoot, train, and practice for what your goals are. You’ll meet some fun folks and maybe even some who are interested in the same thing you are.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"You’ll meet some fun folks and maybe even some who are interested in the same thing you are."

Well, you've already met some "fun folks" here.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Rover wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:57 pm "You’ll meet some fun folks and maybe even some who are interested in the same thing you are."

Why do I want to reply with “de gustibus…”? (joking!)
Rover

Post by Rover »

RodJ wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:04 pm
Rover wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:57 pm "You’ll meet some fun folks and maybe even some who are interested in the same thing you are."

Why do I want to reply with “de gustibus…”? (joking!)
In vino veritas.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

RodJ wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 pm The gentleman next to me was shooting at what appeared to be 5 yards with a green laser. It was all I could do to keep from offering some advice. It would have been rude and I’m a novice.
. . . and he was armed and possibly unstable . . .

. . . but with 18" groups at point blank range, who cares?
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

atomicgale wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:30 pm
RodJ wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:21 pm The gentleman next to me was shooting at what appeared to be 5 yards with a green laser. It was all I could do to keep from offering some advice. It would have been rude and I’m a novice.
. . . and he was armed and possibly unstable . . .

. . . but with 18" groups at point blank range, who cares?
Could not tell what pistol he was shooting, other than 9mm Luger, but yes armed. He didn’t seem unstable, but as with offering advice, it would have been rude to ask him to answer psych questions… and I’m not qualified to administer an exam nor qualified to interpret results.

Your point is well taken. If he’s simply interested in hitting a sizable human form at 5 yards standing square to a target in a controlled environment with no distractions, 18” grouping is fine. My sense is that a lot of folks find it fun to just make holes in paper, feel some recoil and percussion, and chill out on a Friday night. A lot like me at a bowling alley.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"A lot like me at a bowling alley."

Yeah, but they have beer at the bowling alley!
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Rover wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:06 pm Yeah, but they have beer at the bowling alley!
Damn right they do! And there in lies the beauty of bowling, negated only by the fact that wearing bowling shoes is a dead giveaway that you are likely packing a concealed bowling ball.

(Sadly Pearl is no longer brewed from the artesian waters of the country of 1100 springs)

David M

Post by David M »

We have a match in Australia that includes 7 yrd shooting.
It is based on the old FBI match, Service pistol is shot at 50, 25,10 and 7 yrds.
The 7yrds must be shot from the crouch or instinctive position un-sighted (pistol is not
allowed above shoulder height).
12 shots in 15 sec. 6shots, reload, 6 shots starting from a holster.
So 7yds.....good fun.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Anyone look at the user profile? Anyone click on his links. May be legit but I don’t even trust myself anymore.