Question about rifles

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bakelmion

Question about rifles

Post by bakelmion »

My 17 year old daughter is interested in learning how to shoot rifles. I am just barely learning how to shoot handguns and I am looking for some advice. Would it be better to learn on a 22lr rifle like the 10/22 or start her on a "regular" caliber? I know the 22lr is cheaper but would something chambered in 5.56 NATO/.223 Remington be too much to start with? It would just be a bolt action not an AR. I think that would be a bridge too far for my wife. I was thinking along the lines of a Ruger American Ranch Rifle. Would the 5.56/.223 be the cheapest/most available round (other than the 22lr)?https://omegle.onl/ vshare
Last edited by bakelmion on Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgibson

Re: Question about rifles

Post by rgibson »

Start with a rifle sporting aperture sights and chambered for the .22 LR cartridge. A manually operated rifle will be more likely to promote the new shooter concentrating on each shot instead of just “blazing away.” She will be able to concentrate on the five fundamentals of rifle marksmanship. breath control, hold control, sight alignment, trigger control, and follow through. Learning and practicing these fundamentals without dealing with the recoil of a centerfire cartridge will pay off in the long run. Starting out with a larger cartridge can result in “flinching” and jerking the trigger. It is harder to break someone of this bad habit once it develops than easing them into larger cartridges incrementally.

We start our Junior Athletes out with single shot rifles, with aperture sights, chambered for the .22LR. They will be able to shoot and excel with anything later on. Starting them with a semi-auto, large cartridge, rudimentary iron sights (think v-notch and blade front) or a scope will cause unnecessary difficulty in mastering marksmanship skills in the early stages of development. If they start out shooting with a scope they will be less likely to want to take the time to learn irons later on.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

SPAM!

The OP registered yesterday, and soon after posted a generic question that has nothing to do with Olympic rifle (or any formal target discipline).

I wonder if the question was copied from another forum?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

I agree with rgibson.
Note that I come from a competitive background, so this taints my views here

1) .22LR
2) Aperture sights.
3) Stay away from semi-autos. (for the reason listed)

The closest American made rifle I know of is the Savage FVT ... it is magazine fed which to me is a downside.
I'd prefer a single shot with a handstop rail on the bottom of the forestock. Unfortunately. I don't know of an American made (beginner-intermediate) rifle that has this as standard.

As I recall an older Savage, the SVT, was single shot??? You would have to find that used though, don't think they make it anymore.
Another to keep an eye out for (maybe on Guntalk?) is an Izmash CM-2 Cadet ... these are Russian imports and are terrific beginning-intermediate rifles.
You also may be able to find an Anschutz 1903 ...
(With some creativity in sight purchases you might look at the Marlin XT rifle ... see these sometimes in 4-H)

A 17 year old may be too big for any that I mentioned above except for the Cadet though.
If you have the money to spend, you might like to keep an eye on this site's Buy/Sell area for an Anschutz 1907 or a 1912 or 1914.
(like: http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=64656)
These usually fit one in that age group, but they are in the 2K range rather than the sub-900 range.
bberg7794

Sorry

Post by bberg7794 »

Tried to delete this post. The post below more clearly represented my point.
Last edited by bberg7794 on Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bberg7794

Post by bberg7794 »

Tim S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 am SPAM!

The OP registered yesterday, and soon after posted a generic question that has nothing to do with Olympic rifle (or any formal target discipline).

I wonder if the question was copied from another forum?
The question shows up in two Reddit posts. Not sure what that means.

The question does not seem to be leading toward Olympic/ISSF/CMP/NRA style target shooting.
aalbert

Post by aalbert »

My guess --- Trying to build street credentials before responding to WTB ads .
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Baking Man probably would have been better served on this site by asking for member data of standard deviations and ballistic coefficients of Lapua X-Act vs Tenex; graphics and pictures preferred……if, in actuality, he was looking to gain street creds. Wouldn’t it be shooting fanatic site creds?
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

rgibson wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:03 am……if, in actuality, he was looking to gain street creds. Wouldn’t it be shooting fanatic site creds?

I think that would require more effort and knowledge than the scammer has, or is willing to expend. For the sums they're likely to scam here, that level of preparation probably isn't worthwhile.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Tongue-in-cheek would be how I characterize my last post.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why would anyone come to an "Olympic Rifle" site with such dumb-ass comments? (original poster)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Tim S wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:43 am The OP registered yesterday, and soon after posted a generic question that has nothing to do with Olympic rifle (or any formal target discipline).
Tim, maybe you have more info than I do. I treated this as an honest question. There are many questions/posts in this forum that are not related to Olympic Rifle or target shooting.

Just because the poster questioned with rifles that most of us see as not target rifles means maybe we can educate them.
Then, I come from a program (4-H) that when we hold our state championship matches, you will see all sorts of rifles that "we" would see as not appropriate ... i.e. semi-autos. Always fun to see a shooter complete a position in less than 2 minutes.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

jhmartin wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:12 am Tim, maybe you have more info than I do. I treated this as an honest question. There are many questions/posts in this forum that are not related to Olympic Rifle or target shooting.

Just because the poster questioned with rifles that most of us see as not target rifles means maybe we can educate them...
Joel,

Nope, no special info, just a healthy does of suspicion. Your wish to educate is laudable. I just think a first post, within hours of registration, that could have been copied from anywhere on the Internet, and containing no greeting, introduction, or any personal info, is possibly spam.