A question about pistol-shooting stances.

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

robjob

Re: A question about pistol-shooting stances.

Post by robjob »

You might be asking the wrong folks as bullseye shooters all shoot one handed. That said, for the few times I shoot two handed, I shoot isoscelese. It's about ballanced muscle groups between left and right. I do drop one foot back slightly, so all positions are unique...
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I seem to be relatively accurate at 7 yds with the modified weaver."

As was stated, everyone on this site shoots one-handed. The CLOSEST we shoot is 11 yards with an air pistol at a ten ring about the size of a .45 hole, and the furthest is fifty METERS.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

+1 to all of the above responses, but I’ll add one comment. Given the 40 S&W and the two handed shooting sounds like you are either practicing defensive shooting, or some simulation active sport. What I learned from a number of short classes and instruction is that it is a bad idea to practice a single stationary stance. You will get shot. Moving immediately — when you perceive a threat that would cause you to use deadly force — and moving while drawing and shooting is the method that was drilled in our heads. That doesn’t lend itself to a particular “stance” or hold. You’ll want to practice one handed with both sides, too.

I highly recommend classes tailored to what you are trying to do. Or attend practical pistol shooting competitions if that’s your game. You’ll figure out what works best for your body. And it may change over time with experience.

Classes were the best money I ever spent. And then practicing all the non shooting mental, physical and verbal stuff. And practicing moving while drawing and moving while shooting. These are not normal activities and we won’t do them under stress unless they are drilled into our heads and nervous/ muscular systems.

Good training and safe shooting to you!
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

I prefer modified Weaver for accurate 2-hand shooting because I can dig my jaw into my arm and sight down my pistol arm. If I were to shoot action type competition I'd use Isosceles for the ability to quickly change directions right or left on the target. With 1-handed shooting you point your pistol arm from that side along with your basic stance and position to the target.
But with most all Precision pistol competition shooting, using 1-hand is required and that requires a lot of dedication and disciplined training. Welcome to Precision Pistol shooting and I hope you don't give up on it, it is very self rewarding to do.
Stan
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Another one time poster with link at the end. I am curious if anyone clicked on the link? Is it a link to pictures of stances or rental condos in Belize?
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Note that links were added to the post couple days later, and are pretty clearly bad ones (either phishing or virus, I do not have a sandbox to test them)

Please do not click!