What sling would you recommend for prone?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Atanasius

What sling would you recommend for prone?

Post by Atanasius »

What small bore rifle sling would you recommend for prone position? I’m buying Centra/Mec adjustable hand stop for my Anschutz 1907.
I used to shoot prone position with sling many years ago, but want to start again!
Thank you for your help!
Tim S

Re: What sling would you recommend for prone?

Post by Tim S »

If you want a simple sling; the Kurt Thune UIT is hard to beat. The UIT 1 has a hook + slider to tighten the arm cuff, and the UIT 2 has a buckle. The material is non-stretch, and very durable. The holes are closely spaced for fine length adjustment. I think there is US-made copy of the UIT 1. Anschutz, Gehmann, Sauer, and others also make good synthetic slings with, and without, micro-adjustment; micro-adjustment is useful (but not essential by any means) to take up any slack in your position as you relax/settle.

In recent years, many shooters have switched to self-centring "no pulse" slings. The Centra is probably the best known, but Truttmann and Jenson make similar slings. The strap can slide on the arm cuff, so it automatically pulls straight against the back of your arm; a conventional sling can pull from the inside of your arm if you aren't careful, pinching your brachial artery and nerve plexus. This can carry a pulse to the rifle, and is also uncomfortable. There have been more than a few complaints that the Centra sling is a bit fragile: the micro adjuster snapping, and the strap tearing at the holes. It's still popular. I've heard no such complaints about the Truttmann. The Jenson looks pretty sturdy. It is only made in leather I think; possibly more comfortable around your wrist, but needs pre-stretching.
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Atanasius

Post by Atanasius »

Where I can buy Mec Centra anti-pulse sling in US?
Thank you Tim S!
rbs

Post by rbs »

Neal Stepp is the man to go to, he has whatever you need, want or desire
I.S.S. International Shooters Service
Fort Worth TX
877-595-2090
mgdietrich

Post by mgdietrich »

Jenson is great, has been used by many at the AMU over the years. I have used mine for 10+ years. Self centering of the strap is great.
I have a MEC sling too, used it for a full year and just never lived it.
Thune slings are great, I preferred the UIT 2 version.
Oberle in OK also handles the Mec sling
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

mgdietrich wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:01 am Jenson is great, has been used by many at the AMU over the years. I have used mine for 10+ years. Self centering of the strap is great.
It looks pretty foolproof. I tried making my own self-centring sling along the lines of Ken Bowley's Thune job, and it was always a disappointment because the buckle dragged on the cuff.
Atanasius

Post by Atanasius »

Thank you all for your help!
Decided to go with Centra anti-pulse sling.