Recommended Bullseye Pistol for intermediate pistol shooter?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

augusvena

Recommended Bullseye Pistol for intermediate pistol shooter?

Post by augusvena »

I have been raised to shoot pistol, however, as far as Bullseye is concerned, I'm somewhat of a novice. I have been looking at types of 1911's, and it seems that Colt, Ruger, and Kimber are at the top of my list right now for accuracy and reliability. Any thoughts on these handguns? I plan on getting a Ruger MkIII to parallel whatever .45 or 9mm I buy for Bullseye. My father is a Distinguished Pistol and Rifle Shooter, but I felt like I would come here to get other people's opinions along with his.
dulcmr-man

Re: Recommended Bullseye Pistol for intermediate pistol shooter?

Post by dulcmr-man »

I would suggest a Ruger MK IV instead of the MK III simply because it is easier to reassemble after cleaning.

In most cases you will need some gunsmithing done on almost any .45 by a good gunsmith. Most box stock .45s wont be accurate enough from the factory to be really competitive. Similarly, the Ruger MK series frequently need some enhancement to achieve an acceptable trigger.

Volquartsen makes good after market parts for the Ruger as do some others. See their website here: https://volquartsen.com

You may want to look in the for sale section on this forum and also the for sale site on the Bullseye-L forum to see if a good used .45 is available. Bullseye-L can be found here: https://www.bullseyeforum.net/

FWIW

Dennis, aka Dulcmrman
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Augustvenue:

First off, I would head on over to the Bullseye-L Forum, its a lot more focused on Bullseye Competition, the people are more friendly, and there is one less a$$hole.

As for firearms for a novice shooter trying to make his expert qualification, its difficult to go wrong with the target 22's, Ruger, Buckmark, SW Victory, SW Model 41, Benelli, Walther, Pardini, I would not hesitate to recommend any one of them.

The Hammerli's, well parts can be a bit difficult for them.

I hesitate to say anything about the Matchguns, I know three people that purchased one new in the last couple years, all three had major parts breakage and although Matchguns was quick to make things right, all three all three had to forfeit the match or borrow a pistol to complete it.

Whatcha gotta do is go to a number of matches just to see what is going on. Most competitors will be happy to loan you their pistol to try out and that way, you can get a feel for what fits your hand. Your competition firearm is a very personal choice and while I can understand the excitement to rush out and get your new pistol, you really want to make the correct choice the first time.

Personally, I have a nice collection of competition 22 LR pistols, and if you are near SE Michigan, track me down and we could head out to the shooting range with a case of ammo. Even if you are unable to select which pistol you want mostest, we will have a awesome time!

Regards,
Crankster
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

tuesday morning, oct 5th. sent you a PM
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

You might consider the Springfield Range Officer if you are planning on using iron sights. They are very good out of the box with a BoMar style sight.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Why not a .22 kit to fit your .45? You'll not have to get used to something totally different.

Use iron sights to keep you in shape for International (Olympic) shooting. Keep cost down, too.

Pretty much any gun you buy will need to be severely gunsmithed, so look for used at matches.