Smallbore Competition Rifle? (.22LR)

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

linsChaho

Smallbore Competition Rifle? (.22LR)

Post by linsChaho »

First time most everything here on Gunnit. I have been shooting most of my life (never had a Red Ryder, I got a Buck instead), most recently with my dad's .22 rifle. I'm going away to college in the fall, and my school has a rifle team. I'd absolutely love to start shooting competitively.

The issue is, I've only standard rifles - none of these fancy "space guns" (as one West Virginia team member phrased it). So I have checked the FAQs, and there's nothing about these rifles in there. From what I've been able to see, most shooters are using Anschütz. Are these the standard rifle for all these competitions? Is there anything better? Do I really need to buy shooting pants/jacket? I've never entered any real hardcore competition, only small stuff at the range (where I generally do fairly well, fun to show up some of the guys with AR type rifles using my little 10/22), and I seem fine with T-shirt/shorts/jeans/whatever really.https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/
Last edited by linsChaho on Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
proneshooter

Re: Smallbore Competition Rifle? (.22LR)

Post by proneshooter »

Best to talk to the Coach. There are Club and Varsity (NCAA) rifle teams and it makes a big difference in expectations and gear.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

SPAM!

This question was asked word for word on 17th May by a different poster.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

C’mon Tim, don’t you want to see this country commando in his/hers/theys Daisy Dukes and halter top outshooting the mall ninjas with the ultimate rifle (10/22), probably at 600 yards. Where is your sense of adventure or humor, depending on how you look at a post like his/hers/theys.
I can see him now shooting for one of the big NCAA teams with his Ruger, not a tricked out one but probably a take-down model for traveling of course. Will S. says ‘‘ol linsChaho is coaching Mary T. and I for the next olympics so we can get a medal in something with a smaller black thingy in the middle.”

I saw the earlier post as well but didn’t remember where. I thought it was Newsweek or Time