Ruger Mark IV Target for Bullseye Pistol?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

WojinRina

Ruger Mark IV Target for Bullseye Pistol?

Post by WojinRina »

Hi Everyone. I recently went to a bullseye pistol class with a practice match at the end and apparently did pretty well. They really want me to join the team. Only problem is - I don't own a .22!

I'm a lefty and was really considering the Ruger Mk IV Target. Ambi saftey, good history, and seems accurate enough to compete.

Anyone had any good/bad experiences with a post recall Mk IV?
appvalley tutuapp tweakbox

Thanks
Last edited by WojinRina on Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
crankythunder

Re: Ruger Mark IV Target for Bullseye Pistol?

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Wojin:

The ruger is a fine starting gun but you will probably want to get a red dot and a volksquartzen trigger rather quickly. Need to be careful because you can spend a lot of money upgrading the rugers and then when you want to get a really nice gun, you have a $1,000.00 Ruger that you would be lucky to get $300.00 for. If you have a good deal on a used one from a former bullseye shooter and can try it out beforehand, that could be a very good purchase.

My recommendation would be to ask the guys on the team if they have a backup gun you could use for a short period of time so you could get some ideas as to which firearm you want for your first purchase. Most bullseye shooters will be happy to let you try theirs out and often, with multiple lines each match, will let you use their primary gun and even supply the ammo! This is a excellent way to sample all the available firearms while you get significant experience and knowledge for your eventual firearm purchase.

I know it will be tough to delay a new firearm purchase but it might be best to sample as many examples of competition guns you can get your hands on.

Might want to check out the Bullseye-L forum as well!

Regards,
Crankster
Rover

Post by Rover »

Just buy an older Ruger. Use iron sights so you can get a handle on Olympic pistol (Air?) and put in a good trigger.

When you're ready to move up, throw the old Ruger in a drawer or backpack. You'll be glad to have it someday.
william

Post by william »

Yeah, what Rover just said!
spektr

Post by spektr »

OMG Im agreeing with Rover, 8-)
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

I started with the Mark IV and moved up to a high $$ pistol thinking my scores would be much better and they were not. I gifted my Mark IV to my wife who outshoots me every time with it. It does have the V trigger and some other goodies.
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Something like this, MK II Government Target with some Volquartsen internals. Longer sight radius than the MK II Target (6 7/8” vs 5 1/2” barrels). The Rugers are dead reliable in my experience and rugged.
B4778921-CA20-4A00-84FE-8C66C3AFE023.jpeg
samg

Post by samg »

Never thought I would say it, but for once I agree with Rover. Rugers are great shooters. If you get to the point that you can shoot better then it, it will be time to upgrade. Stick to the iron sight and learn how to shoot. Good luck….
robjob

Post by robjob »

Rugers, buckmarks, s/w victories are all bullseye capable rugers have the most aftermarket parts available, but the volquarysen trigger is about $150 last time I looked plus install. For that price a smith can work up the buckmark trigger and make it pretty good. I made Master with a buckmarck...

Point is, there are a lot of good starter 22s
Rover

Post by Rover »

BTW A safety on a Bullseye target pistol is completely useless and a PIA.
joel

Post by joel »

I believe that the assembly/disassembly of these pistols is not a fun event. I haven't done this for about 30 years so I can't recall, thankfully, the actual attempt. I do, however, see a large, rosy scar that remains in my soul.

Joel
Ray Dash

Post by Ray Dash »

The Mark IV can't get any easier to take down, its one button.
william

Post by william »

Ray Dash wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:53 pm The Mark IV can't get any easier to take down, its one button.
I haven't handled a Ruger in ages. Are they still a bit quirky to reassemble?
Rover

Post by Rover »

william wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:45 pm
Ray Dash wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:53 pm The Mark IV can't get any easier to take down, its one button.
I've heard there's some kind of kit that makes it simple, but haven't played with Rugers in years. I don't think it's a reason to spurn one, though.
william

Post by william »

Rover wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm
I've heard there's some kind of kit that makes it simple, but haven't played with Rugers in years. I don't think it's a reason to spurn one, though.
"Spurn" - when did you learn such swell words?
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Rover wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:50 pm
There is - a couple folks make a “speed strip kit”. Disassembly is easy for some and hard for others. It’s easy once you understand what thingamajig is is in what position, but Ruger’s ridiculous gyrations described in the manual don’t explain why you are doing what they tell you to do. And the gyrations sometimes don’t work unless you jiggle and cajole.

But no reason to eschew a Ruger. It’s a doable thing.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"gyrations sometimes don’t work unless you jiggle and cajole"

I eschew this "sex talk" and spurn those who use it.

(BTW Willie, I was an English major in college and worked for many years as a writer, but that career is now defunct.)
RodJ

Post by RodJ »

Rover wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:33 pm "gyrations sometimes don’t work unless you jiggle and cajole"

I eschew this "sex talk" and spurn those who use it.
Eschew what you will, spurn who you may, but it’s irrefutable that “It’s easy once you understand what thingamajig is in what position”. That’s the redoubtable, universal truth.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Well then, just assiduously persue the non-intuitive emplacement of the thingamabob while endevouring to maintain a correct embouchure.