Question about bullseye pistol competition and ammo (50ft one handed) - would SWC or JHP be more accurate or better?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MaxiBelas

Question about bullseye pistol competition and ammo (50ft one handed) - would SWC or JHP be more accurate or better?

Post by MaxiBelas »

Quick overview: I’ve been doing a centerfire bullseye league and we’re about 80% into it. I started off shooting my ccw compact 9mm with irons using ball ammo and did decent for only having been at this a few months (140-170 scoring range).

There’s 30 rounds fired each match, you must shoot one handed (either hand you want), and targets are NRA B2/B3 standard at 50ft.

Slow round: 10 rounds slow fire (10min to finish) Timed round: 2x5 round strings (20s to finish each string) Rapid round: 2x5 round strings (10s to finish)

Shooting is open optics (but no projection sights like lasers, red dots are fine as are scopes). Guns must be .32-.45 caliber and you have to stick to one gun for one entire match, but can change your firearm between matches. 10 week long event.
https://nox.tips/ https://xender.vip/

3 matches ago I started using my .45 with 230gr cheap s&b ball ammo and did way better with iron sights still, then got a red dot and I’m now in the 180-200 range. Mainly because it’s a full size gun and has a single action trigger I’m assuming helps.

I’m wondering how much more using actual match ammo might help improve things or would the ammo really not make a difference at such short range? Are SWC or JHPs better for accuracy?

Also doing a pin shoot next week and I was thinking it might be worth getting some of the cheaper JHPs (Remington UMC at walmart run like $45 for 100)?

Also, would switching weights (230 down to 185 grain) possibly compromise feed reliability or move the zero on my RMR?
Last edited by MaxiBelas on Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOVTMODEL

Re: Question about bullseye pistol competition and ammo (50ft one handed) - would SWC or JHP be more accurate or better?

Post by GOVTMODEL »

At 50 feet any .45 ammunition will shoot well enough; .45-185 SWC or JHP loaded at Bullseye velocities will be much easier to shoot well than 230 grain hardball.

I have no experience at pin shooting.
Rover

Re: Question about bullseye pistol competition and ammo (50ft one handed) - would SWC or JHP be more accurate or better?

Post by Rover »

For what you're doing, you need to be reloading. Use a 185gr. lead bullet (or 200) and 3.5 to 4 gr. Bullseye. You'll need a lighter recoil spring, too. Yes, your zero will change (a lot). Lose the Red Dot, you need the iron sight practice with a sub-six hold.

Hit the bowling pins at the bottom of the neck and see how it goes.

BTW There are .22 kits to fit your .45. Couldn't hurt!
Be chuter

Post by Be chuter »

At 50’ match ammo isn’t really going to make a difference but you do want some lighter loads. A 185 gr lead SWC over 3.5-4.0 of bullseye powder works well. Brazos bullets in Texas makes a 160 gr swc that would probably be the cats meow for this distance as well. Reloading yourself is the best way to go but if you do not, there are some companies out there that sell match ammo which will be lighter that the 230 gr ball you are using now. As you know, ammo/ components of all kinds are tough to find right now but you should be able to find something that will work for you. Lighter loads might require a lighter recoil spring but that depends on your gun and your hold so I would try whatever you choose first before swapping springs. You will likely need to adjust your sight a bit too but that’s going to depend on your load too so there is no way to tell how much now.

Good luck
John