Recommendation $1500 budget intro to PCP (MatchGuns MGH1, AP20Pro, Air Arms Alfa?)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tiktock

Recommendation $1500 budget intro to PCP (MatchGuns MGH1, AP20Pro, Air Arms Alfa?)

Post by tiktock »

Hello,
I've been shooting for decades and just started getting into 10M air pistol as i have a basement about that size. I purchased a Venturi V10. While I enjoy the trigger and it seems accurate, I completely underestimated how process-distracting and tiring it would be shooting it at length, pumping, etc. The pellet loading also is a bit tricky and with the overall low power, pellets can get stuck every now and then which can be very distracting.

I've really enjoyed practicing as a form of relaxation and i'm plowing through a tin of pellets every two days. (IE thousands of pumps)

Its clear that a PCP gun would be infinitely easier to both shoot, practice, load and enjoy.

There seems to be a pretty significant jump where the lowest tier PCP match guns are in the ~1000-1100 range.

In that range I've been seeing lots of people with the AP20 Pro, I've seen the Air Arms Alfa in the $1000 range but not many people shooting them. I do have a local shot that stocks MatchGuns and they have the MGH1-Light (~1k), the MGH1-Mech (~1300) and the MGH1 Hybrid Electric/Mechanical for around $1600. I think once I'm up around that $1500 range most people seem to be suggesting just buying a Steyr LP10 which then jumps me towards $1700.

I'm also going to need to make the initial foray into PCP which means i'm probably looking at a tank and hookup. I do see some pumps for less. Are those even remotely viable for these pistols or a huge PITA?

Trying to keep my budget around $1500 my instinct was to go with the AP20Pro or to support my local shop and get their service and go with the middle range MGH1-Mech. I mainly see dry firing as the advantage going Electric and i think I'd blow my budget if I had to move to that model and also tank up at the same time.

Are these other models I should be considering in this price range? Does anyone have any experience with the MatchGuns models?
Thanks
Gwhite

Re: Recommendation $1500 budget intro to PCP (MatchGuns MGH1, AP20Pro, Air Arms Alfa?)

Post by Gwhite »

You might consider a used higher end PCP pistol. You don't say where you are, but in the US, a very nice Steyr LP10 sold on GunBroker recently for under $1K, although ~ $1100 is more the norm. Morini 162EI's with the electronic trigger can be bought used for about the same money. Issues with used pistols to consider are:

Does the grip work for you? If it has a left handed or extra small grip, you will probably need a new one. That can run $200 or more. You can often sell the old one, but you'll lose about $100 in the process.

What is the date on the cylinders? If you plan on competing at anything above the club level, "in date" cylinders are ~ $175 to $200.

Both Morinis & Steyrs are well supported in the US, and have a long track record for reliability.
ghostrip

Re: Recommendation $1500 budget intro to PCP (MatchGuns MGH1, AP20Pro, Air Arms Alfa?)

Post by ghostrip »

of the three you mention the mgh1 is the more adjustable and perhaps the one with the "best" factory grip. if you are in USA i am not sure if mg support is at the same level as a steyr or morini but on the other end you will get a new airgun. used pistols as gwhite mentions can have hidden costs. if you have a club in your area you may ask if they can let you practice with theirs.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

Just be sure if you support your local shop, that they can support your investment. Owning a gun with service support, or better yet, easy self service is a big plus to me. I once bought a Hammerli 480, spent a fair amount of money on repairs, and sold it for 1/3 of what I paid for it not many years later.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

I was in the same place as you a few months ago. For about your budget I got a used Steyr LP10E from this board and an air tank from my local scuba shop. I did have to rebuild the regulator so that incurred some extra expense and my tanks are out of date. There is a less expensive option listed on this board for new tanks I may try in the near future as I look to compete. I would take this approach again as I now have my dream gun that will take me to the Olympics if I were up to the task. ;^)
tiktock

Post by tiktock »

brent375hh wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:34 am Just be sure if you support your local shop, that they can support your investment. Owning a gun with service support, or better yet, easy self service is a big plus to me. I once bought a Hammerli 480, spent a fair amount of money on repairs, and sold it for 1/3 of what I paid for it not many years later.
This was my thought. Ill have to see if they are a dealer but they seem to be the only air special shop within 200 miles and they host competition there. Ive always had good service when i buy local. Id also greatly prefer a new gun having never owned an air pistol of this type.

The Matchguns just dont seem to be discussed as much.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Our host has a Walther CP3 for sale in the ads. Its a CO2 gun and a really good shooter. $350
Take a look at it.... I was shooting my CP2 just yesterday and they give up nothing in performance.

For once I agree completely with Rover. Many outstanding guns are overlooked because they are CO2.

Have a great day
Last edited by spektr on Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

tiktock wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:59 am looking at a tank and hookup. I do see some pumps for less. Are those even remotely viable . . . or a huge PITA?
Pump? Huge PITA. If you were paid one-penny for every time you had to press the pump, you could afford five scuba tanks (every year.)

Obviously the pump-up gun already caused tennis elbow. The floor pump will throw out your lumbar L1-L5 so bad, add in the cost of surgery; despite being exhausted from pumping, before you even get a chance to shoot your new pistol.

Get a tank from a reputable SCUBA shop; not Amazon. Here's why: The SCUBA shop will already have (1) issued "Hydro" inspection (five years), and (2) issued "Annual" inspect, and (3) give it to you full of air, and (4) you know where to go for a refill - usually cheap.

Hope this helps.

Postscript: Up the budget to $1,700!
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

I had gone with AP 20 Pro, and it did work, great. Reasonably.
Here is the whole journey.
https://www.indiansforguns.com/viewtopi ... 46&t=27206
Incredibly accurate.
Moreover, for less than 1500$, you can get Walther LP 500 Basic model - which I use.
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63684
In Indian INR it was 1.0L that is exactly 1500$.
And the gun is more accurate than I am.
Here are the proofs:
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 19#p311002
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
tiktock

Post by tiktock »

Hi,
After reading lots and realizing how little I "know" I really decided to get a new pistol. Additionally, i had the total ability of ZERO to try pistols from anyone as there are no active clubs shooting as a group near me.

Since there was a MatchGuns US dealer about 35 minutes from my house, I ended up purchasing an MGH-1 mechanical from them, along with a small tank/hookup that will last me a long time with my shooting habits. It was too tempting getting to test the gun, feel out the 5 different size grips and get fitted for one, etc. Supporting local goes a long way, in my experience, especially the more niche the merchandise.

There are too many adjustments possible than I am fully equipped to make so I am changing little from stock until I have a better feel for things.

I LOVE how the gun loads with a rotating port. The pellets just drop down in. The trigger is exceptionally light and crisp, perhaps a bit too light for my liking right now in the breaking weight.

Everything else about the gun is great, a far improvement across the board vs the V10 Venturi I returned.

I have a little range set up in my basement. The furthest distance I can manage is about 28 feet so I try not to get overconfident with my scores. SInce I want to use quality targets, I dont feel like scaling then down a tiny bit to make things a bit more realistic. For now, its all repetition and trigger pull for a while. I can keep everything inside the 8 ring, working my way into less 8's and more 9's :)

If people are interested, I can post a bunch of detailed pics of the gun, grips etc since I struggled finding many when I was looking.
MikeMargolis

Post by MikeMargolis »

I bought a Steyr LP-10 on gunbroker for $1000 in May 2021 (maybe I am even the guy mentioned above).

Note the seller said he didn't know if it was working, so I did take a chance on that. Tanks are from 2012 and 2013. Original buyer paid $2160 from CC in 10/13

Spent $ on a new rink grip, a tank and bestfittings.

All in, I am very happy.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"I ended up purchasing an MGH-1 mechanical from them, along with a small tank/hookup that will last me a long time with my shooting habits."

You claim to be shooting a tin of pellets (500?) every two days, that air will last no time at all. I hope you have a nearby dive shop.

That sounds like a lot of shooting to me: how about more training, less shooting.
tiktock

Post by tiktock »

Rover wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:57 pm "I ended up purchasing an MGH-1 mechanical from them, along with a small tank/hookup that will last me a long time with my shooting habits."

You claim to be shooting a tin of pellets (500?) every two days, that air will last no time at all. I hope you have a nearby dive shop.

That sounds like a lot of shooting to me: how about more training, less shooting.
Indeed theres a dive shop in town!

Im training as much as possible getting a feel for shooting the gun. I’m new to 10m pistol coming from decades of 3-pos smallbore and bullseye. I do shoot quite a bit :) I have about 10k and rounds on my current wadcutter .45

Im looking at olympic style specific guides on this forum to take things from here.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

This may be helpful.
"Airguns for beginners".
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=64384
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

tiktock wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:59 am ....

If people are interested, I can post a bunch of detailed pics of the gun, grips etc since I struggled finding many when I was looking.
Would love to have it, pls share!
Thank you! MGs are one of the awesomest brands with incredibly less press!
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
Overthahill

Post by Overthahill »

Two points of concern: About a year ago, bought a used, 1 year old MGH1 on ebay. Amazing pistol! However, I recommend NOT dry firing it!! This lead to a cracked stiker/hammer. The pin that is pressed through the striker is used for cocking and limiting the stiker's forward travel, with the safety engaged . By dry firing, this press through pin hits the safety bar only on its left end. This applies a diagonal stress into the striker.
The striker can be user replaced, BUT getting parts in the U.S. is a HUGE problem!
Matchguns would only sell me the parts if I payed with a "European bank transfer". My "BofA" would do a "wire transfer". Not good enough. I could not figure out how to pay Matchguns and they were not helpful.
So, I ordered the parts through "New England Airguns" (The only U.S. distributer i can find). They can only order parts along with a minimum dealer order of pistols. I had to wait about 6 weeks for that. Well, OK. That was about 4 months ago. Matchguns acknowledged the order but has not shipped anything to N.E. Airguns. I check every 2 weeks. Matchguns has not given an explanation.
This is very poor customer service from Matchguns.
I very much like the MGH1 but haven't been able to shoot it for 6 months. And, I will NOT dry fire it!

Brian
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Wow, that is annoying. I have the opposite experience of dealing directly with MG, but then I was able to do a "European bank transfer" (SEPA transfer, I'm assuming) and got a registered letter with a few things quite quickly. There are services online that can help with SEPA transfers if you don't have an EU bank account, I believe.
Overthahill

Post by Overthahill »

Thank you for the SEPA reference! I will look into that.
Thanks!
Overthahill

Post by Overthahill »

kqrxbn, I just read about SEPA transfers, leading me to a company called "Wise". It's a bit confusing, so I'll need to read some more. Maybe someone from Wise will talk on the phone to help with my questions.
Thanks again.
kqrxbn

Post by kqrxbn »

Haven't used it myself, but I think my company has used Wise a few times for international transfers so here is one anonymous voice on the interwebs claiming it's possibly legit…