Sexism

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

conradin

Sexism

Post by conradin »

I think those who insist to have the events separated into male and female and try to bring it equal, would never have dreamed that women did better than male on equal events (air), but it is entirely possible that in a mix individual event setting, there may be less than 3 men qualifying into the finals.
They should just scrap the idea of men and women events, and go back to the 70s when everything was an open competition. Maybe they are scared about another Margaret Murdock. But now this is worse since women shot the same amount as the men, anyone who compare with scores for qualification and finals will now know the absurdity. Margaret Murdock is not a once-in-a-lifetime female shooter, but rather just a reflection of the reality. Remember those Soviet Snipers?
It will now be more interesting to see what happened between FR60x3 and R60x3. Hypocrisy much?
In fact one way or another concerning transgender athletes in the shooting sport, any question will be rendered academic and moot.
JamesHH

Re: Sexism

Post by JamesHH »

The problem with any mixed event is they would constantly tweak the rules to ensure each sex won just as often.

Unless women won more often which would be fine of course.
william

Post by william »

Remember the 1960 & 1964 Olympics. 2 Soviet athletes, Tamara & Irina Press, known affectionately(?) as "the Press brothers."

But, really, in the end, who cares?
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

When I first started coaching long ago former Olympians all confirmed at that time, (and I still believe it is true today), there are countries that would feel humiliated if a women bested their athletes.

The IOC has trouble, even today, clamping down on some countries refusing to compete with other countries.

While here in the USA, the NCAA rifle competitions are mighty exciting as all athletes, regardless of their gender, compete against one another.
Go here: http://ncaarifle.org/Home/IndividualResults
and sort by smallbore decending and air rifle decending
The gals do well ... IN BOTH GUNS!
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Personally I really like that in shooting practically speaking men and women can compete equally. But, why does everything need to be viewed through the lens of if it’s sexist or not as it is. Another perspective is that as it is there are many more shooting events than there would otherwise be. Maybe that’s not the reason for it but I choose to view it this way.

I bet the ioc would like nothing more than to be able to cut more shooting events.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

pdeal wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:10 pm I bet the ioc would like nothing more than to be able to cut more shooting events.
Or we could lobby for more, different events:
Field Target
Sporting Clays maybe a Super Sporter
R/P AIR/SBR Silhouette
heck even a (internationally) politically incorrect Action Pistol
Bring RT back too
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jhmartin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:24 pm
pdeal wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:10 pm I bet the ioc would like nothing more than to be able to cut more shooting events.
And you would fail miserably.

The IOC are trying to reduce the size of the Olympics while still introducing new sports.

How we managed to maintain 15 shooting events is a mystery.
Xman

Post by Xman »

What killed a LOT of shooting programs was Title 9. Not enough women shooting in the mid seventies so schools killed/dropped the shooting programs so the school could add woman's only athletics so they could say.."see we have added woman sports." So the schools could get more federal funds if they meet Title 9 "equality" statutes.

Don't get me wrong now. I want the ladies to shoot with the men everywhere in NCAA, ISSF, etc. shoulder to shoulder. All NCAA shooting programs should be co-ed, along with ISSF shooting.

Ladies will never get to be truly equal internationally as long as it is segregated.

Ladies if you want to compete, shoot with with/against the men. THATS how you get better.

My2cents
Rover

Post by Rover »

Back in the day, I shot against some of the top women shooters. I didn't feel badly when they kicked my ass....they were good, and me...not so much.

Hell, I even dated a couple of them afterwards.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

Apparently we can't call it 'Tarts Match' any more, it has to be 'Womens 25m Sport Pistol'
This catches me out every time.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Oh James! Dear oh dear…
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

David Levene wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:32 pm
jhmartin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:24 pm
And you would fail miserably.
David - I know - I live in my own dream world.
My point - tongue in cheek - was that if we combined the current events we might be able to sneak another in.

or
After this quad or next we go to air exclusively or lasers ... hard to embrace that
Xman

Post by Xman »

[/quote]After this quad or next we go to air exclusively or lasers ... hard to embrace that
[/quote]

Well it will be Paris in 2024 or Los Angles 2028 That will have all air or all laser for shooting or perhaps NONE.

Next IOC General Assembly or Special General Assembly post Tokyo will set the stage and ground work for phasing out .22 and additional elimination of shooting events. ISSF lapdogs and to a much lesser degree USOC will try to save what they can without antagonizing the bloated IOC and their goal of stable participation numbers and adding more nonsense sports like IMHO skateboarding by chopping the the red haired step child sports like any type of shooting...except the IOC elites' beloved shotgun of course.

Adding Mixed events were only a stopgap measure foisted on the shooting community to delay the inevitable and mollify the shooting community. It was "accept or die" but in gentler words. Even it was the ISSF suggested changes, the ISSF read the tea-leaves and left the decision making meeting with a very sour taste in their mouths. But am sure the caviar and Don Perignon flushed the taste out.

The IOC might consider adding trans shooting events if that movement penetrates the Ivory Tower of the IOC.

The WC series already has non Olympic events ..so sad. I guess WC will be getting some more in the coming year.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Xman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:55 pm
Well it will be Paris in 2024 or Los Angles 2028 That will have all air or all laser for shooting or perhaps NONE.
Paris 2024 program is already set. Shooting is a part of it, with the same disciplines.
https://www.paris2024.org/en/the-olympi ... programme/
https://www.paris2024.org/en/sport/shooting/

Los Angeles 2028 program is not yet defined, but being in the US it will be harder to drop the shooting events...

At least from my view point...
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Am hoping that Brisbane 2032 will also include all the shooting it can. They have a decent range at Belmont.

Bob
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:51 pm Back in the day, I shot against some of the top women shooters. I didn't feel badly when they kicked my ass....they were good, and me...not so much.

Hell, I even dated a couple of them afterwards.
The Matthew Emmons dating instruction book.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

Xman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:55 pm Well it will be Paris in 2024 or Los Angles 2028 That will have all air or all laser for shooting or perhaps NONE.
Statements like that should be supported by reputable sources and citations. Especially since Shooting for Paris 2024 is already confirmed. I have seen many people claim that shooting is going to go laser, usually based on some mistaken notion that because Pentathlon did, the ISSF will follow. It isn't.

What may happen is that the IOC become more event-selective. No longer will the ISSF be able to package up 15 events of their choosing - the IOC will vet each one. You might get the likes of 3P through on a Heptathlon basis of "blue-riband multi-skill event", but they're probably going to press the ISSF to give them some more media-friendly material to work with like Target Sprint.

That does not mean that Shooting will go out of the Olympics but it may mean that the ISSF lose the ability to define equal splits of rifle/pistol/shotgun if the IOC decide they don't like a particular event. Expect to see some shaking up of formats. If the ISSF have any sense at all, they'll switch the 3x40 to 3x20 for Men and Women (let me know when someone shoots 600 in competition). Shorter, more fun to shoot, easier to spectate.
David Levene wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:32 pm The IOC are trying to reduce the size of the Olympics while still introducing new sports.

How we managed to maintain 15 shooting events is a mystery.
By dropping from 15 disciplines to 12 and following the Swimming/athletics examples of "variation on a theme events" contested by existing athletes. The IOC would probably let us have 20 events if we promised to further cut the overall number of athletes and ranges - you could easily stretch Air Pistol into 5 events with no more athletes, just add Men's and Women's teams onto the programme!

Dump cartridge rifle & pistol to save on ranges/venue cost and introduce a dozen different versions of airgun. No... I'm not suggesting that. But it's basically what other sports do.