Brand New to 10m - Which Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Dmaryakh

Re: Brand New to 10m - Which Rifle

Post by Dmaryakh »

conradin wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 6:23 am One thing I forgot to mention about Hammerli AR20. Do not purchase it until you send an email or make a phone call to Walther and ask them when will the laser module be coming out. That module is very useful,it essentially helps you train without the need to use pellets and air. The module is installed in the space which the air cylinder used to occupy. Then you have to buy their laser target of course. Unfortunately you have to buy the laser option FIRST, as that module is installed with the rifle itself. My guess is they need to put in some special parts inside the rifle in order to install the module. So if you do not have the laser module, you cannot just pull the air cylinder out and put the module in. The extra part of the module needs to be installed inside the factory. I think it is a very good option. After all the idea is about teaching young children with a safer option, and using laser will not have a freak accident of shooting a pellet towards an unsafe direction.

Then you can purchase the rest of the normal set up, that is, the air cylinder and the mechanism.

If you ended up buying the AR-20 with the regular set up, and want to have the laser install, the only option you can do is to send the Hammerli back to Walther, We all know how much pain in the a** for Germany to ship the rifle back, because for them, any type of gun is a weapon and hence it has very complicated laws about them, and the seller has to jump through hoops to deal with the customs. Perhaps you can contact Walther here in the USA and see if they can help you. Walther has decent customer service.

I found out myself when I bought my last AR-20, I should have waited out until the laser unit is for sale. But then again I eventually got a couple of air rifles later and I am very happy with them, so I sold my AR-20.

Of course if you do not care about this extra module, then go ahead and buy whatever you want, including the regular non-modified AR-20. Or maybe you are willing to wait, then just buy a Crossman or pick up a third hand rifle from the Market section here for now. You can always sell it back.

I have no real knowledge about having a rifle shooting laser as opposed to pellets, but one of my coach who taught me how to shoot trap stated that a lot of places now uses a laser module for their shotgun, the idea being you can train indoors such as inside the school gym.

Of course, if you do not care about the module, but still want something like that, then after buying the air rifle you want, go purchase SCATT. It is essentially the same idea. Since you have a 10M lane, you certainly can get a SCATT system instead. SCATT does not work for me because the longest lane I can set up is 8m. SCATT does not work well if it is under 10m.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I am just a regular person, so I have to say that I am not an expert on this subject. But this is what I know, based on my own experience awhile ago
There are other options for laser modules - for example Accurize system that actually has an acoustically activated laser plug that just get inserted in any air pistol or rifle. On the other end one can use either Accurize laser target or something like LaserAcademy from Mantis. This entire setup is going to run about 1/3 the price of Scatt (throw in Mantis sensor and it is still 1/2 of a price or better for basic analysis and simple but accurate dry-fire scoring)

https://sportshootingdepot.com/shop/?ixwpss=Accurize
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Dadsbroke wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:47 pm I agree with the last post. If you can wait until around November the new Crosman Chalenger will be available. I had one in my hands a month or so ago. It is more adjustable than the Hammerli Crosman is showing a $600 price with sights. My daughter started precision with a CH2009 and would still be using it if I hadn’t found the deal I did on a used Anschutz
I agree with a Crosman Challengers - to my dismay these rifles are indeed precision equipment ... especially the newest.
I don't know how or with how much money Crosman finagled CMP to classify these as sporter guns ... they are precision, and with the newer model all the adjustability that you need starting out.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

Have made my choice, FWB 800X COMP Black/Silver Right Medium. Dealer said he got these 4 months ago from FWB.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

1229-large_default.jpg
1229-large_default.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
While we're on the subject, I'm not sure how to tell if I shoot L or R, I can do both with similar results and grouping. So any advice on this would be helpful. I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant.

https://oberleenterprises.com/product-c ... -shifting/

Also a vid with a shooter using a right hand gun, but her cheek piece was mounted to far right, and she is using her left eye, at minute 13:13.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQ_ZSutx_Gg
Last edited by alpineboard on Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

rsz_120220913_203606_-_copyresized.jpg
It appears as though the cheek piece is angled.
Bob Foth

Post by Bob Foth »

For ISSF, the maximum distance from the center of the front sight to the center of the bore is 60mm (any direction).
If you have strong left eye dominance and haven't shot very much RH, you might prefer to shoot LH.
If you have weak eye dominance and have shot quite a bit RH, then you may be better off still shooting RH and using a small occluder to block focus for your left eye. I do think some other coaches say eye dominance would almost 100% determine which side to shoot from, but I see you bought a RH grip...
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

I am a right hand shooter with right eye dominant, I recently added to this thread, as the original poster was looking to buy a new rifle, same as myself. Thanks for that good information of 60mm.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

rsz_20220916_175853_-_copy.jpg
Did it, new FWB 800x Comp, immediately am very impressed, Standing hold has a really good feel, and much steadier than the C60. I was using it right out of the box and need to make adjustments.
I may add some ounces at the muzzle. It is not dancing at all, it is very good, my thinking is maybe it could be better for me, and it is definitely not too heavy. Overall, it feels light , but acts like it is heavy. (Standing)
rsz_1rsz_20220916_183634_-_copy_-_copy.jpg