Brand New to 10m - Which Rifle

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

CoffeeCup

Brand New to 10m - Which Rifle

Post by CoffeeCup »

Hello,

I want to get into women's 10m air rifle. I've been stalking these forms and I think I've narrowed down my choice of rifles:

Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution
Anschutz 9015 Club
Walther LG400 Alutec Competition
Walther LG400 Blacktec (is there a difference between this and the above?)
Hammerli AR20 Pro Air Rifle

I want to do competitions, there is a local club I can join, I have a basement range, etc etc.

I'm basically a little overwhelmed on what to get. I was previously practicing with a borrowed Bone Collector .22 break barrel, and I'm ready to get serious.

While we're on the subject, I'm not sure how to tell if I shoot L or R, I can do both with similar results and grouping. So any advice on this would be helpful. I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant.

So TLDR: Which would you recommend for a beginner who wants to get into competitive shooting without having to upgrade right away.
High Left

Re: Brand New to 10m - Which Rifle

Post by High Left »

I have a LOT of experience with HP rifle. And I have no doubt you'd kick my butt with an air rifle after only a couple months ..

But ...

First, get *Something* to shoot ... something reasonably modern. And being cross dominant, an ambidextrous stock seems like a good idea to start with. I've known cross dominant shooters who struggled shooting with their 'wrong' eye, and in a very short time matched, and then exceeded, their averages after switching.

Myself, I've switched from shooting a handgun right handed to left, because of tremors I can longer control. Didn't take very long at all for it to feel 'normal' to me. And more recently, I've started using a blinder to use my left, non dominant, eye as well. Seems natural after awhile.

The point being, give yourself those options and experiment a bit. More important ...

Get out and SHOOT.
AManWearingAHat

Post by AManWearingAHat »

Of those I could go with the Walther or FWB because you're going to get the most adjustability.

Though if it were me, I would go for the 9015 Anschutz ONE 3 Position. Though I am biased because I have one an absolutely love it. Cannot say enough good things. The action would be right at home in an Olympic final and you've got a lot more in terms of adjustability and versatility with the ONE 3 Position stock versus your other listed options. Especially the club models. I outpaced those very quickly when I got into air rifle. I know it is more expensive but its a buy once cry once sort of deal. Depending on where you are located we may be able to hook you up with some local clubs so you can try some of these rifles yourself before you make a big investment. Additionally, keep an eye on the WTS section here. Many fantastic air rifles go up for sale regularly that have been well cared for. It is where I got mine and it can save you some money. I hope this helps, feel free to PM me with any questions. I shot collegiately and I still practice air rifle and small bore on my own. It can be overwhelming but there's a lot of great people here who can help you!

As for the LH / RH split and the cross dominance, its sort of up to you. You could try shooting left handed or shooting right handed and training your right eye to overcome the dominance somewhat. It's something you'll have to try and see what feels more comfortable and what gives you the results on paper. A good coach would help here.
CoffeeCup

Post by CoffeeCup »

I made the mistake of not accounting for available stock. Seems I'm going to have to rethink some things...

Now debating between:

Hammerli AR20 PRO Match Air Rifle - cheapest option, just getting something to shoot while waiting for other rifles to come back in stock

Walther LG400 Blacktec - I'm worried there is a downside to this, it's cheaper than other LG400's and I can't find much info online
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

I would say from your list the LG400 Competition but would tell you to look for a good used rifle. You may be able to get a top end used rifle for the same price.
spektr

Post by spektr »

the blacktek stock is basic and of limited adjustability
Rover

Post by Rover »

Brazos wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:21 pm I would say from your list the LG400 Competition but would tell you to look for a good used rifle. You may be able to get a top end used rifle for the same price.
The only way YOU should get a new rifle is if that is the ONLY way to get the one you MUST have. Put an ad on here and get a used one.
lerg

Post by lerg »

Hi,
Have read the precision air rifle posts?: Olympic Air Rifle & Smallbore section under Precision air rifle section, posts by Shootnluva & Rednook368=very good info.

That said there is a used LG400 Alutec Expert for sale on this forum about 4 ads down under for sale section. This model, with all the upgrades, is being sold new for $3200 at Champions Choice, but this is not the stripped down version that you see selling new for approx $2500.

Sending you a pm.
conradin

Post by conradin »

If price is important, then either Haemmerli AR-20 (I have owned three) or Feinwerkbau 600. If price is not a concern, then FWB 800 of which ever version you want, also the Steyr challenger. If you plan to do 3P, then Air Arms T200.
I used to own a Walther LG400e, it is way beyond my pay grade. I have no experience in Anscshutz Air rifle.
The most important thing you do need is that, where to find a gunsmith that can service your air rifle within reasonable time. If you buy one and find out that the waiting list for service is 3 months. then perhaps you need to think about another brand.
Also, do not forget saving up some money for accessories like an adjustable iris, and sling & jacket if you want to do 3P. Actually get a Jacket anyway.
spektr

Post by spektr »

If you want to shoot 10 meter very well on a budget. Dont overlook a Crosman Challenger.
They have no business shooting as well as they do.
Dadsbroke

Post by Dadsbroke »

I agree with the last post. If you can wait until around November the new Crosman Chalenger will be available. I had one in my hands a month or so ago. It is more adjustable than the Hammerli Crosman is showing a $600 price with sights. My daughter started precision with a CH2009 and would still be using it if I hadn’t found the deal I did on a used Anschutz
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Consider Crossman Challenger, then put side-by-side with T200 from Champion's Choice:

LINK: http://champchoice.com/store/Main.aspx? ... &item=T200

Then consider "support & service."

Then decide.
Ramen55

Post by Ramen55 »

FWIW there was a J2 and J3 shooting the Hammerli AR20 Pro at JOs in MI. The J3 won gold in 10m air.
conradin

Post by conradin »

One thing I forgot to mention about Hammerli AR20. Do not purchase it until you send an email or make a phone call to Walther and ask them when will the laser module be coming out. That module is very useful,it essentially helps you train without the need to use pellets and air. The module is installed in the space which the air cylinder used to occupy. Then you have to buy their laser target of course. Unfortunately you have to buy the laser option FIRST, as that module is installed with the rifle itself. My guess is they need to put in some special parts inside the rifle in order to install the module. So if you do not have the laser module, you cannot just pull the air cylinder out and put the module in. The extra part of the module needs to be installed inside the factory. I think it is a very good option. After all the idea is about teaching young children with a safer option, and using laser will not have a freak accident of shooting a pellet towards an unsafe direction.

Then you can purchase the rest of the normal set up, that is, the air cylinder and the mechanism.

If you ended up buying the AR-20 with the regular set up, and want to have the laser install, the only option you can do is to send the Hammerli back to Walther, We all know how much pain in the a** for Germany to ship the rifle back, because for them, any type of gun is a weapon and hence it has very complicated laws about them, and the seller has to jump through hoops to deal with the customs. Perhaps you can contact Walther here in the USA and see if they can help you. Walther has decent customer service.

I found out myself when I bought my last AR-20, I should have waited out until the laser unit is for sale. But then again I eventually got a couple of air rifles later and I am very happy with them, so I sold my AR-20.

Of course if you do not care about this extra module, then go ahead and buy whatever you want, including the regular non-modified AR-20. Or maybe you are willing to wait, then just buy a Crossman or pick up a third hand rifle from the Market section here for now. You can always sell it back.

I have no real knowledge about having a rifle shooting laser as opposed to pellets, but one of my coach who taught me how to shoot trap stated that a lot of places now uses a laser module for their shotgun, the idea being you can train indoors such as inside the school gym.

Of course, if you do not care about the module, but still want something like that, then after buying the air rifle you want, go purchase SCATT. It is essentially the same idea. Since you have a 10M lane, you certainly can get a SCATT system instead. SCATT does not work for me because the longest lane I can set up is 8m. SCATT does not work well if it is under 10m.

Good luck and happy hunting.

I am just a regular person, so I have to say that I am not an expert on this subject. But this is what I know, based on my own experience awhile ago
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

CoffeeCup wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:57 pm Hello,

I want to get into women's 10m air rifle. I've been stalking these forms and I think I've narrowed down my choice of rifles:

Feinwerkbau 800 Evolution
Anschutz 9015 Club
Walther LG400 Alutec Competition
Walther LG400 Blacktec (is there a difference between this and the above?)
Hammerli AR20 Pro Air Rifle

I want to do competitions, there is a local club I can join, I have a basement range, etc etc.

I'm basically a little overwhelmed on what to get. I was previously practicing with a borrowed Bone Collector .22 break barrel, and I'm ready to get serious.

While we're on the subject, I'm not sure how to tell if I shoot L or R, I can do both with similar results and grouping. So any advice on this would be helpful. I'm right-handed and left-eye dominant.

So TLDR: Which would you recommend for a beginner who wants to get into competitive shooting without having to upgrade right away.
Where are you located?

Before making any final decision, check and see if there are any clubs and/or competitions near your location. The vast majority of shooters are usually willing to let you check out their rifles and often will let you shoot them to try out the fit, balance, etc.

Each of the rifles listed will have a definite feel that may be more preferable. If cost is a factor, narrow it down first and then still try to find a way to handle/try it out.

Regards,
ken
Hammock

Post by Hammock »

@coffeecup how did your venture into 10m go? Any advice to pass on?
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

I am getting back into Standing Air Rifle using a FWB C60. After a few weeks, it is starting to get better, 87 points with no flyers. Am considering upgrading to a more recent PCP rifle. My past experience was with a FWB 601 pump, 15K plus shots, 550+ match , 570+ practice. The FWB fits me, I make it work. Mostly shoot Standing , but 3 position occasionally in the winter. A FWB P70 may be fine, if I can still get new cylinders. Or should I try to get a FWB 700, ...800?
Or switch to Anschutz or others. Any and all opinions welcome, thank you.
alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

alpineboard

Post by alpineboard »

20160542.jpg
Dmaryakh

Post by Dmaryakh »

There os one more (new) choice of starter rifle that fits between ap20 pro and lg400 blacktec - LG400 Bluetec

Price wise the Bluetec is between the Blacktec and the AR20 PRO, the Bluetec has less adjustability than the Blacktec but it more accurate than the AR20 PRO. The Bluetec can also be used for 3P unlike the Blacktec.

https://sportshootingdepot.com/product/lg400-bluetec/