Using Club pellets?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Using Club pellets?

Post by Rover »

Anyone using these pellets?

If not, why not?

https://rws-ammunition.com/en/products/ ... lub-0-45-g

MANY years ago I tried them, but was not happy. But things change.
spektr

Re: Using Club pellets?

Post by spektr »

IIRC, Club is a step below Hobby, and Hobbys are pretty good and a value leader.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

spektr wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:15 pm IIRC, Club is a step below Hobby, and Hobbys are pretty good and a value leader.
Since the Hobby and Club pellets went to the 300/tin packaging they lost their value leader status for me. I hope H&N Sports are a good value choice because I just bought a 2 year supply...
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've found that as soon as you go below "Basic", the quality is noticeably worse. I haven't tested "Hobby" with a rest, but I can feel significant variation in how easily they fit into a pistol. This is especially noticeable with an LP50, where you load 5 at a time. "Basics" all insert into the magazine consistently. "Hobby" pellets go from sliding in easily to needing a seater tool. I've never tried "Club" after my experience with "Hobby".
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

This is an interesting topic so thank you for starting it...

Tins of 500 pellets are CHEAP... Even the good ones are really cheap for 500 shots when compared to quality .22 target ammo. I'm currently using the RWS R10 and they are about $13 A tin here in New Zealand. I'd happily change to other brands if they were deemed to be a better/More accurate option in my Morini.
Why bother with the really cheap pellets when good ones are great value. I'm sure there will be people saying for club use the ones mentioned are just fine and that's a fair call.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

As a college team coach, we go through roughly 60,000 pellets a year. If the difference between RWS "Basic" pellets and the higher end stuff is only $5 a tin, that is an extra $600 out of our budget. That's about what a case of RWS Target Pistol .22 goes for.

People who have tested RWS "Basics" have found that they are exceptionally accurate for the price. That means the one-hole group from a rest is just a tiny bit bigger than the one-hole group with more expensive pellets.

We have some high end pellets we take to the National Championships, but the difference in accuracy is meaningless at the collegiate level. A really good college shooter might shoot around 560. The 40 missing points has nothing to do with their pellets...
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

Good points made by GWhite
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Rover wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:45 pm Anyone using these pellets?

If not, why not?

https://rws-ammunition.com/en/products/ ... lub-0-45-g

MANY years ago I tried them, but was not happy. But things change.
just opened a box yesterday, bought out of curiosity.

as a newbie, all is same for me.
rmca

Post by rmca »

Rover,

Read this, or at least look at the third picture...

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... ting+again

They grouped lousy...
Rover

Post by Rover »

RMCA...that was a really great thread...best one on the subject!
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Green_Canoe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:38 pm
spektr wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:15 pm IIRC, Club is a step below Hobby, and Hobbys are pretty good and a value leader.
Since the Hobby and Club pellets went to the 300/tin packaging they lost their value leader status for me. I hope H&N Sports are a good value choice because I just bought a 2 year supply...
A while ago we purchased RWS Basic pellets from Neal Stepp (I.S.S.) in the 500 count tins. He imports them directly from Europe, and they were under $6 a tin. Don't know what his current stock is, but give him a call if you prefer the full tins over the partial ones others sell - 817-595-2090.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

dschaller wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:19 am
Green_Canoe wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:38 pm
A while ago we purchased RWS Basic pellets from Neal Stepp (I.S.S.) in the 500 count tins. He imports them directly from Europe, and they were under $6 a tin. Don't know what his current stock is, but give him a call if you prefer the full tins over the partial ones others sell - 817-595-2090.
FYI:

the basic RWS (green box) is 3,5 euros in germany.
SPPcoach

Post by SPPcoach »

Gwhite wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:29 pm As a college team coach, we go through roughly 60,000 pellets a year.
OMG! That is impressive. How many athletes?
Gwhite wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:29 pm People who have tested RWS "Basics" have found that they are exceptionally accurate for the price. That means the one-hole group from a rest is just a tiny bit bigger than the one-hole group with more expensive pellets.
I started shooting these a few years ago based on ROVER's recomendation. I just tested them from my Pardini K12 last week before our Nationals and am very impressed with the one-hole 10-shot group.
BTW, Neal Stepp does have these in 500 count tins. He imports directly from Germany.
Gwhite wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:29 pm We have some high end pellets we take to the National Championships, but the difference in accuracy is meaningless at the collegiate level. A really good college shooter might shoot around 560. The 40 missing points has nothing to do with their pellets...
I now have two of my athletes shooting in the 560's in decimal scoring.
I believe you are talking about interger scoring.
This is great progress for our little club but a long road ahead.
Above 550 they shoot RWS R10's for matches.
Below 500 they shoot the H&N FNRA pellets from our grants. (I have a lot of those athletes).
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

SPPcoach wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:10 pm
Gwhite wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:29 pm As a college team coach, we go through roughly 60,000 pellets a year.
We start out with about 15 returning students, and spend September training 25 to 30 new shooters. At the beginning of October, we have a practice match, after which we do a downselect based on practice attendance, attitude, safety and lastly, match score. The goal is to have no more than 30 shooters for the rest of the year because we are set up for two relays with 15 firing points. We practice four evenings a week.

New shooters upgrade from Hammerli AP20's to Hammerli 480K's when they break 500 in a match. The second time they do that, they get issued a Benelli .22 and begin training with that.

Collegiate scoring is all done integer because many schools we compete against don't have electronic targets.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:54 pm
SPPcoach wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:10 pm
We start out with about 15 returning students, and spend September training 25 to 30 new shooters. At the beginning of October, we have a practice match, after which we do a downselect based on practice attendance, attitude, safety and lastly, match score. The goal is to have no more than 30 shooters for the rest of the year because we are set up for two relays with 15 firing points. We practice four evenings a week.

New shooters upgrade from Hammerli AP20's to Hammerli 480K's when they break 500 in a match. The second time they do that, they get issued a Benelli .22 and begin training with that.

Collegiate scoring is all done integer because many schools we compete against don't have electronic targets.
The name of the college?
if possible :)
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

They get cranky if I mention their name without official permission. It's the small trade school down the river from Harvard University, if that helps.
RMinUT

Post by RMinUT »

small trade school near Harvard. I bet that would make them even more cranky. Classic.

I'm guessing most of your new shooters are not from the US?
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

We have a lot of Asian students. The team is typically mostly women these days, and they are often the top couple shooters on the team. They haven't watched any Dirty Harry movies, they listen well & know how to focus & concentrate. We won the National Womens Collegiate Championship against the likes of West Point, Navy, Coast Guard, and Ohio State etc. in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2019.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:45 pm We have a lot of Asian students. The team is typically mostly women these days, and they are often the top couple shooters on the team. They haven't watched any Dirty Harry movies, they listen well & know how to focus & concentrate. We won the National Womens Collegiate Championship against the likes of West Point, Navy, Coast Guard, and Ohio State etc. in 2014, 2015, 2016, and 2019.
thanks for informing.
small trade school and have a 15 lane shooting range, nice.

results are impressive and it makes sense that female students are more interested.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Gwhite wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:54 pm
Unless you make it to finals, all ISSF air pistol qualification matches are integer, even the Olympics. Even if all Universities had electronic targets, I would not think 60 shot matches should be scored decimal.