Forend Riser Block in Prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

rpm

Forend Riser Block in Prone

Post by rpm »

Has anyone had experience using the Forend Riser Block to elevate the front sight in the prone position?

I have already adjusted the butt plate and pulled my left hand as far back as possible. While I can sight the rifle it puts a lot of tension on my neck and the pressure affects my eyesight. I also find it less stable.

Yesterday I mounted my Forend Riser and hand stop on the rifle and was able to get in position with no neck strain and I was able to center my eye better.

Assuming there is no issue with what I am doing. Do any Forend Risers that have height adjustment come with an accessory rail that run the full length of the riser? My current riser is the Anschutz #4860, it only has a 2" rail. Anschutz does not make one.

Thank you
Tim S

Re: Forend Riser Block in Prone

Post by Tim S »

I've seen a few shooters use a thin (1/2in-1in deep) raiser with a shallow aluminium stock to bring the barrel up onto the target, and the grip up to the trigger hand. Other shooters use riser blocks to lift up their head instead. Really shallow fore-ends offer some advantages, but don't suit everyone. If you're shooting a fairly shallow aluminium stock, a block under the fore-end might be the answer, especially if you are not tall (say 5'5" or under).

I'd add a couple of caveats: first if you have a wood stock (especially something that's already fairly thick like an Anschutz 1907), a raiser block will make it really thick. Very few adult shooters want a really thick and deep fore-end for prone, as the rifle sits so high; such a high rifle places the grip and sights too high for most.

Secondly, if you had to bring your supporting hand right back before trying the block, do be sure the butt isn't too long. I often see shooters with the butt extended too far, which puts more weight on the supporting supporting arm (and more pressure as the sling sling has to work overtime).
Last edited by Tim S on Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
aalbert

Re: Forend Riser Block in Prone

Post by aalbert »

Check the Tec-HRO product line..

I also found that https://www.shootingequipment.de/en/Wea ... and-rests/ has a good roundup of some of the various options, as well as their own house brand designs.

If you have access to a milling machine, you could also make one.