.22 smallbore gunsmith

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

B.p.M

.22 smallbore gunsmith

Post by B.p.M »

Hi, I just got a Walther GX1 and it needs a bedding job and some metal work. Anyone have a decent gunsmith that works on .22 smallbore rifles? Just want a decent shooter for the smallbore league and winter practice for high power.

Also the forend rail does not seem to fit some of my Anschutz accessories. It's close, but they wont fit. Anyone know if they had their own proprietary rails? I'm assuming I can just order an Anschutz rail and have that installed? The one that is in there is just in with some philips head wood screws.

B
Tim S

Re: .22 smallbore gunsmith

Post by Tim S »

Can't help directly with a gunsmith if you're in the US. There are some recommendations in this thread: http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=3 ... ilit=Pitts

Yes the old Walther rail is not the standard Anschutz type; from memory it's a true dovetail. But it should be possible to swap it for an Anschutz. Depending on the overall dimensions of the old and new rails, you (your gunsmith) might need to fettle the inlet, or the new rail a little.
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

Thanks Tim,

There are a couple of links in that thread that are helpful. I forgot that I should have put in my location, but yes I am in the US. There seems to be plenty of smiths over here that are doing work on .22 benchrest rifles and I'm sure they are plenty capable, but I would rather have someone that knows their way around a position rifle.

I knew somthing was off when I tried to put my handstop on it. It seems to shoot ok off when I tested it off if my rolled up mat from a bench. Had I realized that my handstop wouldn't fit, I would have brought by benchrest for it and done a proper test! It seems like a nice rifle, but it's a getting a little tired and needs some TLC.

B
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Don't mention it.

The GX-1 is a nice rifle, but even the newest must be over 25 years old, and some are 40+. I shot one for a while after uni, and quite liked it. I particularly liked the cheekpiece, which is squarer and easier to adjust in position than contemporary (1970s/1980s) Anschutz rifles. From memory it's a tad lighter, which Walther promoted as offering the shooter more options; adding weight is easy, much easier than making a rifle lighter.
Last edited by Tim S on Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

1845greyhounds

Post by 1845greyhounds »

2nd for Howard Pitts. He's done 2 position rifles for me and many more for other position and F-class shooters. He's a top smallbore prone competitor too. His services are in demand and he does things right, so it won't be fast.
B.p.M

Post by B.p.M »

Well I'll have to give Howard a call then. I did see his name mentioned in another thread but couldn't find contact information easily. Thanks for posting and giving recommendations.

B