Questions About the Biathlon Rifle in the Olympics

For those who like shooting in the snow

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Craig1956

JimmyAndreson

Questions About the Biathlon Rifle in the Olympics

Post by JimmyAndreson »

I've been watching the Olympic biathlon (cross-country skiing / Rifle shooting) and have some (possibly stupid) questions about the rifles:

About the only info I have been able to find is that they use .22LR ammunition and have to weigh less than 3.5kg.

Is there one company that makes these for all competitors?

Is it based off of a common consumer rifle?

What about the sights: Optics? Electronics? Iron sights?

Why do some guys / ladies wear what looks like a dark mask over their eyes when they are firing?
https://19216811.cam/ https://1921681001.id/

Stopping power? Is there any? The competitors fire from 50M out. Yet when the rounds hit the target, it doesn't seem like it has a ton of force behind it. Could you take out a bird or varmint from 50M with one of these?

That's it. Thanks for reading and answering.
Last edited by JimmyAndreson on Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Re: Questions About the Biathlon Rifle in the Olympics

Post by william »

"Stopping power? Is there any? The competitors fire from 50M out. Yet when the rounds hit the target, it doesn't seem like it has a ton of force behind it. Could you take out a bird or varmint from 50M with one of these?"

I see it now...a new World Cup (definitely not Olympic) competition: Live Target Biathlon. I'm for squirrels if anybody gives me a vote.
conradin

Post by conradin »

william wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:15 am "Stopping power? Is there any? The competitors fire from 50M out. Yet when the rounds hit the target, it doesn't seem like it has a ton of force behind it. Could you take out a bird or varmint from 50M with one of these?"

I see it now...a new World Cup (definitely not Olympic) competition: Live Target Biathlon. I'm for squirrels if anybody gives me a vote.
Well, the 2nd Olympic in Paris does have live pigeon shooting.....it drew a huge outcry and ever since then we use clay instead of live ones. Don't ask me the winning shooter's score, I forgot.
I think the Olympics quietly covered up the existence of that event over the years. But their own document does not lie.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

In answer to your questions, yes, ACME makes these rifles for most all of the competitors. They were originally designed for the father of Biathlon, Wile E. Coyote. The black masks you referred to are actually blindfolds as some of the “Master” shooters use “The Force” instead of aiming.
Regarding the varmint question, there are actually squirrels and other small mammals working the targets in the pits.
pcw

Post by pcw »

Thanks rgibson, you've cleared up a lot.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Lapua, the company manufacture .22lr for Biathlon. It's name is Polar Biathlon.