Dry firing a KK500?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Brazos

Dry firing a KK500?

Post by Brazos »

Is it ok to dry fire a KK500? It is not addressed in the owner’s manual.
Tim S

Re: Dry firing a KK500?

Post by Tim S »

If the manual doesn't mention dry firing, standard advice is to use a plastic snap cap or spent case for regular dry firing exercises. Most 0.22 target rifles are designed that the firing pin stops short of the rear face of the barrel, so the occasional dry fire won't hurt. However sustained dry firing, without a snap cap to cushion the firing pin (or dry fire function like the Grunig), can stress the firing pin.

If you store the rifle with the bolt in, hold back the trigger as you close the bolt and the bolt will decock itself under control of the cam.
Last edited by Tim S on Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

I just received my new KK500 Blacktec a week ago and this is a question I was going to pose here so good timing Brazos!

I was wondering if the method that the person in this video uses with his KK300 would be seen as OK or not by those here with experience? He unscrews the rear "nut" on the bolt to reduce the preload on the spring to a very low level. The firing pin does not have enough energy to set off the primer in a DIY blank round he made to demonstrate with.

I'm wondering what people's thoughts are on using this method? If used with a plastic, dummy dry firing round or a cleaned out spent casing, would this be a safe way to dry fire without ejecting the "cartridge" every time? Just lift the bolt handle to re-cock the firing pin and then close it again without sliding the bolt back and forth. Maybe rotate the dummy cartridge every 10 strikes or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Mt58hNNF8
mhampel

Post by mhampel »

Don't do it! I contacted Walther and they do not recommend dry firing.
I talked to one of the AMU guys at the CMP Nationals (the last time they had them). He was on his 5th firing pin. I never dry fired without a spent case or a snap cap. At 15000 rounds +, my firing pin broke. Walther sent a new one, and managed to get it to me quickly. I bought a spare for $140.
Now I do not dry fire at all.
Thauglor

Post by Thauglor »

These work in my anschutz single shot and feed through cz magazine, they take quite a few dry fires before I have to put a new one it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-6-x-7-8-i ... lsrc=aw.ds
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Thauglor wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 5:08 pm These work in my anschutz single shot and feed through cz magazine, they take quite a few dry fires before I have to put a new one it.
These also extract as well.
With our club - athletes using Anschutz, FWB, Walther I always have these #4 drywall anchors available for them. The shooters will also carry a small pill bottle filled with these in their gearbags.

Always a good idea to carry a spare FP as occasionally one will break. Know how to replace it as well. Small price to pay if one breaks while you are at a match you have spent multi-hundreds of $$ to get to. Rarely do they break in a home training session for some reason.
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Thanks everyone. I have acquired snapcaps and dw anchors.
shakestheclown

Post by shakestheclown »

Have heard that KK500s have a finite firing pin life. I would suppose that it is from the pin being below the center of the spring, for the 6 oclock pin location. The engineering types probably can figure out all the force vectors and stuff.
I would like to get a spare. Does anyone know where to order one?
I have emailed Walther with no response. Champions Choice and Oberle both show out of stock and have since February. Or should I get a piece of tool steel and break out the files and make my own.
Don F.

220, 221. Whatever it takes.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

From the experience I've had with multiple juniors KK500s, only the very early models of the KK500 FP had metallurgical issues.
Even so, my daughter (who never had an issue with hers) always toted an extra FP AND an extra trigger assy. Again, only early guns had the trigger issue ... tolerance buildup issues. She found 2 triggers that worked well and always traveled with them.

The go-to Walter person in the USA is Janet Raab. Try texting her at 1-571-723-7032. I don't have her Walther email address on me, maybe someone can pipe in.
Tavishwm

Post by Tavishwm »

Peter_Scant

Post by Peter_Scant »

Not sure on the difficulty of changing the firing pin on a KK500 but it’s quick on my Anschutz. What I did was when I replaced the firing pin I kept the old one and filed the end down so it was flush with the bolt face. So now I just change to the shorter firing pin for dry firing.
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

Neither are difficult.
Just lay out the pieces in the order you take them apart and it's easy
Shakeyaim

Post by Shakeyaim »

KK500 bolt disassembly/reassembly video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IrYSKAjTC8