Bullseye Competition Shooting

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

JimieSitu

Bullseye Competition Shooting

Post by JimieSitu »

Hi All.

It seems that most people on here are mainly interested in practical run & gun style competition shooting, but I'm more interested in longer range bullseye shooting. I just bought my first gun last month (Ruger Mark III Competition) and have been having a lot of fun shooting NRA bull targets at 50ft. at a local indoor range. Thus far I'm happy when I can keep all 10 shots on the target 1 handed but I'm getting better.

I'm looking for info on the different shooting organizations that hold these competitions, preferably in my area (Atlanta, GA). I know that ISSF is the Olympic one but I assume there are others. Also, if anyone here is actually in the Atlanta area, where can I find an outdoor range where I can maybe rent a rifle and try some longer distance target shooting.

Thanks!VidMate Mobdro
Last edited by JimieSitu on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
AManWearingAHat

Re: Bullseye Competition Shooting

Post by AManWearingAHat »

Can't really help you on ranges in Atlanta.

I think NRA Bullseye is still a thing, but from what I hear the NRA governed competitions have become kind of a SNAFU management wise. They're really not doing themselves any favors as of late.

I can say if you're somewhat interested in Bullseye, look into ISSF 10m air pistol. It is a challenging but rewarding discipline. Most dwellings have a space where this can be shot indoors with a proper backstop (you can make one yourself very easily). Entry level pistols are reasonably priced, especially spring powered ones like the popular beginner Baikal IZH-46 and -46m, and are very cheap to shoot. They will post some excellent scores. I have a bronze medal from Camp Perry that I won with one. We have a scouts' honor monthly match here on the air pistol forum you could participate in.

Just something to consider with the way ammunition prices are since you expressed interest in the target pistol disciplines. Taking up air pistol and air rifle really helped to improve me as a shooter and maintain my skills and keep me shooting several times a week all year round.
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

There are hundreds of NRA Precision Pistol (Bullseye) matches in the US (and a growing number of CMP Match Pistol matches which are just a copy of the NRA Precision Pistol matches).

I can't speak for local ranges in the Atlanta metro area, but you will generally have indoor ranges until you get well outside the urban area.

As for NRA Precision Pistol (Bullseye) matches, there are many matches running, you just have to look for them. A quick search shows Dawsonville (River Bend Gun Club) and Covington (South River Gun Club) for precision pistol matches. There are many others. Usually Ft Benning has some "bullseye" matches as well. I've shot at many over the years in GA and also not far away in Jacksonville is the annual Dixie Match.
izzyjim

Post by izzyjim »

"NRA Precision Pistol" is alive, and well.
It used to be called " Bullseye Pistol", and is shot with .22, and center fire pistols, one handed, at 25, and 50 yards,
"Small bore rifle" is shot with .22 rimfire rifles.
"High power rifle" is shot with center fire rifles.
Then there are the shooting contests like "falling plates",ISSF, "cowboy shooting",Mostly "run and gun types.

I don't know what is available in GA., but I bet all of them are. You just need to find them.
A search on the internet ought to help you find them. Then go to the range, and talk to the guys shooting there.
I am sure they would be willing to help.

I don't know of any place that rents rifles. Many indoor pistol ranges rent pistols, but you already have that covered.

Now if you lived in Maryland, I could give you more specific advise...Jim
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey Jimi:

First off, google precision shooting matches. they have a number of shooting matches listed and you can find out all the information on them but they only have a few of the many bullseye matches available. Register (its free), log on and you can search for shooting matches by state.

Secondly, get on over to the Bullseye-L Forum. Its a lot like target talk but is dedicated to Bullseye Pistol.

Third, go on Google maps and do a search for "Gun Club", "Shooting Range", "Conservation League", or "Sportsman Club". You should be able to find most of the gun clubs near you and go to their website to find out if they have a organized bullseye team or if they shoot bullseye on a regular basis.

Forth, go to some of the local gun shops in the area and ask them if they know of any bullseye competitions around, They should know if there are any bullseye shooters in the area and where they shoot.

Fifth: Go to a local small gun show. Not the monster show that has giant pretzels, candied almonds, sham-wows, garage sale type show with a couple guns on the side filled with special forces wanna be's dressed out in full camo but a true honest to god small venue gun show that has the real shooters in the area. Find a table that has a couple bullseye pistols on display and ask them if there are any competitions around that they know about.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Crankster
Xman

Post by Xman »

JimieSitu wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:31 pm Hi All.

It seems that most people on here are mainly interested in practical run & gun style competition shooting, but I'm more interested in longer range bullseye shooting. I just bought my first gun last month (Ruger Mark III Competition) and have been having a lot of fun shooting NRA bull targets at 50ft. at a local indoor range. Thus far I'm happy when I can keep all 10 shots on the target 1 handed but I'm getting better.

I'm looking for info on the different shooting organizations that hold these competitions, preferably in my area (Atlanta, GA). I know that ISSF is the Olympic one but I assume there are others. Also, if anyone here is actually in the Atlanta area, where can I find an outdoor range where I can maybe rent a rifle and try some longer distance target shooting.

Thanks!
Try here for NRA competitions ... click on the coming events photo.
https://www.ssusa.org/coming-events/

Also here for rule books
https://competitions.nra.org/competitio ... ule-books/
Go to Precision Pistol
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

We have two clubs that hold matches in the atlanta area. South river gun club has them usually on the 2nd sunday of every month and River Bend has one on the 3rd Sunday.. matches are open to the public and start at 10am.

Be happy to help you get started.. i shot both matches usually.. we also have a group of BE shooters who shoot air pistol each month down In Griffin.

We will shoot through Nov. So plenty of time to get acquainted with the sport..
jglenn

Post by jglenn »

Sent you a pm
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

jglenn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:21 pm . . . River Bend has one on the 3rd Sunday.. matches are open to the public and start at 10am
J Glenn, in regards to above, correct that River Bend hosts a 2700 on 3rd Sunday?

LINK to CMP: https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php? ... stUpcoming
w4ti

Post by w4ti »

atomicgale wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:08 pm
jglenn wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:21 pm . . . River Bend has one on the 3rd Sunday.. matches are open to the public and start at 10am
J Glenn, in regards to above, correct that River Bend hosts a 2700 on 3rd Sunday?

LINK to CMP: https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php? ... stUpcoming
I'm not Jimmy, but yes, River Bend is usually on 3rd Sunday. South River is usually 2nd Sunday. Occasionally, the matches move due to other holidays.

When in doubt, check the club calendars:

RBGC - https://www.rbgc.org/content.aspx?page_ ... _id=265856 (or navigate from main page in case this link expires)

SRGC - https://southrivergunclub.com/calendar/

Everyone is welcome at both shoots; 22 only is perfectly acceptable if that's more manageable at both matches.