Grip molding putty/paste

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

dontshootcritters

Grip molding putty/paste

Post by dontshootcritters »

Hi guys...

I've purchased a Morini 200 pre loved which had a small grip so I've just purchased a larger off the shelf grip which doesn't really fit my hand and consequently I'm gripping the pistol to tightly to aim it and my coach has given me a telling off...lol!

So... My question please.. It was suggested I try the Morini Grip Paste BUT it must have some sort of "nasties" in it s it's a prohibited product here in New Zealand I've been told. I see it's available through a few international web sites but the freight to get it here is extortion and I risk getting it nabbed at the border anyway! I'd be very interested to hear of options that you blokes have used with success other than the Morini stuff,especially people in Australia or NZ.

Thanks for the help,kind regards.
Rover

Re: Grip molding putty/paste

Post by Rover »

I can't give you a brand name, but a two-part kneadable epoxy should be available cheap at any hardware store.

It comes in a plastic tube and is one piece. You cut off a piece and knead it thoroughly with your fingers.

Press it hard onto your grip and shape to fit your hand. Let harden and file/sand to final shape. If you screw up
just hack some off and do it right. It's a one beer job.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

In the US, that stuff is called "Kwikwood". A top tip is to add a little water when you're kneading it together for slightly longer working time and making it softer to mold to your grip.
samg

Post by samg »

Sculpey works well. No idea what it’s called in New Zealand.
Azmodan

Post by Azmodan »

i tested a few products:https://youtu.be/Gg6xAu7zcDM

i also heard about this product from Dina Aspadiarova that she uses: https://www.selleys.com.au/products/adh ... tipurpose/
Airpistol: Feinwerkbau 100 / Feinwerkbau P8X
STP: Walther GSP 22
CFP: Walther GSP 32
Freepistol: TOZ-35
PPC: CZ Shadow 2
PCC: Nova Modul CTS9
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

Kwikwood is available here in Oz through eBay. Bunnings sells tins of plastic wood and ordinary builder’s bog. Lots of products to choose from. They all work.

Bob
Rover

Post by Rover »

I tried Kwikwood. PIA so I trashed it. It is nothing like my recommendation.
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

I've used the kneadable epoxy for ages but my go to stuff is now a styrene free wood filler which you can get in many shades and is fast setting like car body filler.
this is an example available here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182609411134 ... Sw5cRZNrVS

I use hand cream on my hand as a barrier when moulding and it pops off the grip easily using a screw driver and hammer when it needs to be changed.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

Sugru
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

GaryN

Post by GaryN »

I second the kneadable epoxy putty.
When I had my grip fitted, the fitter used the kneadable epoxy putty.
I think it cures in about 5-10 minutes, and then can be worked on to shape it.

Do NOT use plastic wood.
The stuff STINKS, for a LONG LONG time. I left the grip in the garage, cuz it was too stink to bring in the house.
It took a long time to cure. I think I had to wait about a week before it was hard enough to shape. Big difference to the kneadable epoxy putty, where you can work on it after about 10-15 minutes. I don't know if it was just that particular can of plastic wood that was slow to cure.
And whatever it released as it cures sometimes irritated my hand, long after it had cured. Sealing it with varnish would have solved this problem.
dontshootcritters

Hi guys..

Thank you for all the replies. It's really appreciated and goes to show what a great forum this is!!

I've just today finished the grip with Kwikwood. It's worked an absolute treat. I put some tinted in with it to stain it a little to match the wood. It was dirt cheap and readily available here in NZ for $8..!!!

I'm also hoping the Kwikwood has magic powers and eliminates crap shots..!!

Thanks again everyone and kind regards.
Martin Catley

Post by Martin Catley »

Great to see you back, all the best.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

Rover wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:19 pm I can't give you a brand name, but a two-part kneadable epoxy should be available cheap at any hardware store.

It comes in a plastic tube and is one piece. You cut off a piece and knead it thoroughly with your fingers.

Press it hard onto your grip and shape to fit your hand. Let harden and file/sand to final shape. If you screw up
Is this what you're recommending Rover?
https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-1661 ... =8-20&th=1
Chris73

Post by Chris73 »

Hi,

I've used Newplast plasticine, which is available on Amazon in various colours. Takes awhile to make it plyable, but it doesn't make a mess when removed, non adhesive and can be reworked easily.
Rover

Post by Rover »

toddinjax wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:16 pm
Rover wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:19 pm I can't give you a brand name, but a two-part kneadable epoxy should be available cheap at any hardware store.

Is this what you're recommending Rover?
https://www.amazon.com/PC-Products-1661 ... =8-20&th=1
No, that's not it at all. The stuff I use comes in a plastic tube, is one piece about the size of a finger. You just cut off a piece about what you think might work.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

Designed to do what was requested.

https://www.centra-visier.de/en/product ... -compound/

Thanks for looking.
MarkTrew
Rover

Post by Rover »

20E vs $7.
dontshootcritters

Hi guys..

I've recently received a new grip from Rink which I'm extremely pleased with. But I did need to add a bit of bog/filler immediately under the shelf where the rear sight sits. I used Quickwood and added some tinted to match the grip colour. It's really easy to mold and shape and goes hard in an hour or two..(I left mine a bit longer) It sanded up perfectly. 100% recommendation from me!!