front sight eagle eye

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

40xguy

front sight eagle eye

Post by 40xguy »

Thought I'd pass this on to smallbore shooters... many of us smallbore shooters use a "magnifier," or "eagle eye," depending on what you want to call it. Personally, the only one I've ever seen has been a screw in lens.

BUT... there is a different one on the market that consists of two parts: (a) the holder and (b) the lens itself. The "holder" holds the lens (hope that makes sense) and screws into the tunnel front sight. You only need one holder and then you can buy whatever lens you want, 0.3, 0.5, 0.6, (and I'm sure there are some other sizes too). So if you wanted to use one size magnification for one target and another size magnification for a different target, you would only need one holder and then buy the lenses that you need.

The pieces I just bought cost $68 and this included the holder, one lens, and mailing. This product is made by MEC, a German company. They make VERY GOOD equipment. Mark Trew sells these and advertises on this website. He has the specifics if you have questions. His email is "mrktrew@verizon.net" ps: the optics are VERY GOOD on these lenses.... imo, much better than the "old style" eagle eye lenses. Definitely worth the money...

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in these products, none whatsoever !!
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
pcw

Re: front sight eagle eye

Post by pcw »

Does the magnification affect the front sight ring or does it magnify the target?
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

pcw: mine is setup with the lens in the front of the iris so the target is magnified.
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

Actually, it makes no difference what side of the sight the lens is installed on, both the target and the iris will be enlarged.

The lens that John referred to is a Premium BaK4 optical glass that is used in high end binoculars, etc.

It give a much sharper black bull for the shooter.

MarkTrew
rapidfireXring

Post by rapidfireXring »

I just received a set from another forum member and have yet to try them.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

MarkTrew wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:34 pm Actually, it makes no difference what side of the sight the lens is installed on, both the target and the iris will be enlarged.

MarkTrew
How would the foresight be enlarged if the Eagle eye is ahead?
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

It appears few have not ever tried using a lens in the front sight?

Putting it another way, as the shooter looks thru the sight with a lens, if the bull is larger one needs a larger iris setting.

MarkTrew
Last edited by MarkTrew on Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

MarkTrew wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:46 am It appears few have not ever tried using a lens in the front sight?

Putting it another way, as the shooter looks thru the sight with a lens, everything is magnified. If the bull is larger one needs a larger iris setting.

MarkTrew
Mark,

I'm not asking how a lens works. I wear glasses.

You said the lens will magnify the foresight, even if it is in front of the foresight. That's not possible.
pcw

Post by pcw »

OK, I'm confused again. I would have thought that if the lens was between the eye and the fore sight, it would magnify both the sight element and the target. However if the lens was between the fore sight and the target, it would simply magnify the target.
Martin H

Post by Martin H »

pcw wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:50 pm OK, I'm confused again. I would have thought that if the lens was between the eye and the fore sight, it would magnify both the sight element and the target. However if the lens was between the fore sight and the target, it would simply magnify the target.
You aren't confused, your statement is entirely correct.
But the reason why a larger front sight element is needed when the eagle eye is mounted in front of the front sight is very simple. The target image is now larger and you need to increase the front sight diameter to give the suitable amount of white around the target.

Cheers Martin
Joemcc

Post by Joemcc »

I have used the standard eagle eye (0.3) for several years with a lens shape convex one side and concave on opposite side. Thus to gain magnification the concave side requires to be fitted nearest the shooter. Hence due to the design the eagle eye needs to be to the front end of the foresight i.e. at muzzle side.
Now looking at the bak4 lens pictures they seem to be “flat” both sides is this a correct assumption? if so then assume the lens can be fitted either side of front sight. Appreciate your input.
MarkTrew

Post by MarkTrew »

You are correct, the lens is substantially flat. It can be put on either side of the sight tunnel.

Actually, the older lens can and has been put on both the front and back of the tunnel with about identical sight pictures. Slight but almost not a noticeable difference. Oh, you are correct, the concave side should be close to the shooter. It can be reversed in some holders, FWIW.

The advantage to the shooter side of the tunnel is a little more protection in a rain condition.

Mark