Bullseye and competition pistol shooters: Canting your pistol?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

robjob

Re: Bullseye and competition pistol shooters: Canting your pistol?

Post by robjob »

I feel canting is more of a "problem" than a "solution". I try not to do it as much as possible. I wouldn't recommend someone intentionally try to cant... just one more thing to think about that you don't need to think about. Yes, some very good shooters do it, but if I had to bet, they are not doing it intentionally, and don't really notice it if you.mentioned it to them.
Rover

Post by Rover »

A cant is the most relaxed position for a pistol shooter. The problem is, if you need a sight change it takes two knobs. Adjust your grips!
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

To cant or not to cant?
Decant or not decant your pistol?

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/710583647425553074/
spektr

Post by spektr »

What I don't understand here is this...... We always talk about your NPA. My NPA is naturally canted. No big deal. I thrink it's more important to shoot from your NPA than to force something to fit and add a variable.
Last edited by spektr on Sat May 22, 2021 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
william

Post by william »

spektr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:49 pm What I don't understand here is this...... We always talk about your NPA. My NPA is naturally canted. No big deal. I thrink it's more important to shoot from your NPA than to dorce something ro fir and add a variable.
I could be wrong, but I think this expresses a misunderstanding of NPA.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

spektr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:49 pm . . . than to dorce something ro fir . . . .
WTF?
william

Post by william »

atomicgale wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:26 pm
spektr wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 2:49 pm . . . than to dorce something ro fir . . . .
WTF?
Serbo-Croatian, perhaps?
Xman

Post by Xman »

Canting your pistol kind of messes up recoil recovery especially in TF and RF. You have to be real disciplined if you cant and a ton of drills to get that cant and recovery ingrained. If that is even possible. Calling your shots gets screwed up too. Your fighting gravity, NPA and more.
robjob

Post by robjob »

william wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:38 pm
atomicgale wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 4:26 pm
WTF?

"Than to force something to fit", got a buddy that text like this so I'm good at translation...
Rover

Post by Rover »

I thought NPA (for pistol shooters) had been discussed here and dismissed as being non-existent.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Npa for pistol shooters exists. If it didnt, foot placement wouldn't matter. When you do the closed eyes raise to the target, you immediately find out where your feet go. After you move your feet enough and you get to where you raise tbe gun to the center of the target consistently, you have placed your NPA coincident to the target center. If after that, you find that your hold includes a cant, you can mess with the sight picture by adding material to the front sight and filing it along with the rear slot.....
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

We all see the sights differently. For some people what looks like a cant might just be an astigmatism. I don’t think a slight cant is something to worry about. A major one, yes, probably because it might lead to an awkward uncomfortable head position.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

If you extend your arm as far as it will go, you will find that most people have a bit of a cant in the hand position. 20 to 30 degrees. The problem is that the guns aren't set up to accomodate this in the sights, and it's a lot easier to turn the hand than to do the sight mods. I dare say that with a dot, or even better a low power scope with a crosshair to be a horizon reference, it might be possible to cant the hand consistently. IIRC, the Morini CM80 free pistol was set up with sights that could be adjusted in this way.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Isabel1130 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:21 am I don’t think a slight cant is something to worry about. A major one, yes, probably because it might lead to an awkward uncomfortable head position.
Trying to figure that out: I admit, I do cant my gun to get the most relaxed wrist angle. But I do not tilt my head! Am I doing wrong? I believe tilting ones head would interfere with body balance, and induce sway?
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

northpaw wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:15 pm
Isabel1130 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:21 am I don’t think a slight cant is something to worry about. A major one, yes, probably because it might lead to an awkward uncomfortable head position.
Trying to figure that out: I admit, I do cant my gun to get the most relaxed wrist angle. But I do not tilt my head! Am I doing wrong? I believe tilting ones head would interfere with body balance, and induce sway?
As I see it, you need to maintain with irons, a four point line of sight. Eye-rear sight-front sight- Target. I can imagine how a severe Cant might induce a shooter to move their head to maintain this alignment. Just as they have to when they shoot cross dominant.

Much of this can be fixed with a change to your grip.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Mike M. wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:01 pm ... most people have a bit of a cant in the hand position. 20 to 30 degrees.
30 degrees ... that´s quite a lot.
Isabel1130 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 4:23 pm I can imagine how a severe cant might induce a shooter to move their head to maintain this alignment.
Maybe.
Having spent much time at ranges through the years, seen different firing postures, some even slightly awkward appearing, but, I have never, to this day, seen anybody at any firing point tilting their head 20 to 30 degrees, not even close.
But, well, I aint seen them all.
william

Post by william »

I'm honored Northpaw is so fond of my prose that he repeats a phrase from it at every opportunity, regardless how out of original context. But, frankly, it is a bit creepy.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

william wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 6:06 pm .. a bit creepy.
Creepy..my interpretation says condescending/ridiculating.
Apologize if my interpretation is misleading.