Air Pistol for 10m

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

MikeMargolis

Air Pistol for 10m

Post by MikeMargolis »

I am a bullseye shooter, have a Pardini SP and a 275 average.

Looking to get into 10m Air Pistol, and need some advice regarding a gun.

In the .22 there are some clear choices: SP, GSP, FWB93 and 208.

I am kind of overwhelmed at the range of air pistols from Steyr, Morini, Pardini, Walther, and multiple models from each.

If you had say a $1500 budget that might stretch a bit, where would you go? Service down the road is a consideration.

I'd rather push for a great gun I can grow into that buy a medium grade gun and end up selling it for something better later on.

Much appreciate any advice, including where to buy.

Mike Margolis
Rover

Re: Air Pistol for 10m

Post by Rover »

Start browsing the classifieds here to get an idea what's out there. There is no reason to buy new.

If one appeals to you, do a search (top right of page) to see what it's all about.

If you ask...well, you know what they say about opinions. I personally like SSPs, since they are less fuss and cheaper all around.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

I agree with Rover. All of those guns are tack drivers. Since you are practicing primarily for bullseye, you might consider one of the short versions. It will give you approximately the same sight radius as on your bullseye guns. Also the same balance.
The only thing to be wary of is buying an used Air Pistol that it will be hard to find replacement air cylinders for. I have a friend with an older model Hammerli, and this has become a problem.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

Rover wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:15 am I personally like SSPs, since they are less fuss..
Most (all?) SSPs suffer from low pellet velocity. Pellet may tear paper targets.
FAS 6004 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA12TraS7Qw
Raliable build quality, though.
Chinese "budget" copy here, under the El Gamo brand, less reliable build quality:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ7ymM2I5yM
Rover wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:15 am
.. and cheaper.
The cheapest oats may be had behind horses.
Last edited by northpaw on Tue May 11, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Rover is right. Look for something secondhand, but in good shape. WRT to service, I'd rate Steyr and FWB as the best, Pardini now has support in the US as well.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

A very kind poster here, sent me a link to replacement Hammerli air cylinders that will work in my friend’s gun. They are roughly 200 dollars a piece, and must be shipped from Germany.

I have gotten excellent support from both Pilkington Competition and Pardini USA.
spektr

Post by spektr »

If you were to ask me this question a few months ago, Id have a different answer, but now
Ive changed camps. Buy a new gun. Buy a mechanical triggered gun, dont buy carbon or titanium doodads. The mechanical trigger guns are at a theoretical minute handicap, but you have to be an olympian to exploit it. The current guns are so good that any of the major players offerings will outshoot any mere mortal. If you can buy a low time current generation pistol, thats even better
william

Post by william »

If you shoot well with your Pardini SP, why in the world would you not want to duplicate the ergonomics? Why?

Find the Pardini air pistol that fits your mood and/or budget:
K58 - single stroke pneumatic
K60 or K90 - CO2
K2 - CO2 or PCP
K10 or K12 - PCP

Then put your mind at ease, and forget about squirrels and shiny objects.
boris

Post by boris »

Take a look at Steyr LP5 or LP50. Those can be useful in rapid/timed fire training. Trigger can be switched to 500g and 1911 style grips are available. Easy to fill from the pump and allow 100+ shots per charge. Used can fit in your budget. As is without grip/trigger modification has the same feel as your Pardini.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

boris wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:40 pm Take a look at Steyr LP5 or LP50. Those can be useful in rapid/timed fire training. Trigger can be switched to 500g and 1911 style grips are available. Easy to fill from the pump and allow 100+ shots per charge. Used can fit in your budget. As is without grip/trigger modification has the same feel as your Pardini.

I have the LP50. Just a word of warning, it is an amazing machine. Everything you would ever need, BUT if you have small to medium hands,you won’t be able to address the trigger properly with the 1911 style grips. If fact, I will be surprised of you can reach it. Large hands? Most likely, no problem.
william

Post by william »

Isabel1130 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:45 pm
boris wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:40 pm Take a look at Steyr LP5 or LP50. Those can be useful in rapid/timed fire training. Trigger can be switched to 500g and 1911 style grips are available. Easy to fill from the pump and allow 100+ shots per charge. Used can fit in your budget. As is without grip/trigger modification has the same feel as your Pardini.

I have the LP50. Just a word of warning, it is an amazing machine. Everything you would ever need, BUT if you have small to medium hands,you won’t be able to address the trigger properly with the 1911 style grips. If fact, I will be surprised of you can reach it. Large hands? Most likely, no problem.
Is this a matter of shiny objects? What, precisely, would be the attraction of a 1911-like grip to a shooter who is comfortable (physically and mentally it seems) with a very 1911-unlike Pardini?

And what is the real benefit to a B-E shooter of a 5-shot air pistol? I don't think my experience is uncommon: Plenty of 98s, 99s and 100s in timed fire; not quite so many in rapid* Where we ALL need major improvement is slow fire which a single shot pistol will accommodate perfectly.

*My memory of embarrassing myself at a few international rapid fire matches long ago is that 5 shots in 10 seconds on ONE freakin' target isn't rapid fire at all. It's damn near an eternity.
boris

Post by boris »

william wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm What, precisely, would be the attraction of a 1911-like grip to a shooter who is comfortable (physically and mentally it seems) with a very 1911-unlike Pardini?
Its all about having options and flexibility. If you are comfortable with Euro style grips, don't change it. If you prefer 1911 style, there is an option.
william wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:05 pm And what is the real benefit to a B-E shooter of a 5-shot air pistol? I don't think my experience is uncommon: Plenty of 98s, 99s and 100s in timed fire; not quite so many in rapid* Where we ALL need major improvement is slow fire which a single shot pistol will accommodate perfectly.

*My memory of embarrassing myself at a few international rapid fire matches long ago is that 5 shots in 10 seconds on ONE freakin' target isn't rapid fire at all. It's damn near an eternity.
Again, options to train in both slow fire and sustained fire. Also easy mount a RDS if you prefer optics.
Last edited by boris on Mon May 24, 2021 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boris

Post by boris »

Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Some of my friends have occasionally run 50 foot air pistol matches. At that distance they shoot as well as a 22. 25 yards isn’t too much of a stretch.
boris

Post by boris »

The point was that semiauto airpistol is useful not only for SF practice, but for a full match experience with timed/rapid fire stages.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

boris wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:43 pm The point was that semiauto airpistol is useful not only for SF practice, but for a full match experience with timed/rapid fire stages.
It can be, but as someone who has an LP50, I can say that with pretty much zero recoil, and a much different trigger, weight and balance, it isn’t as useful as you might think.
boris

Post by boris »

I shot Metallic silhouette. While ago, at the beginning of my shooting carrier, i used to also shot airgun MS Silhouette. The skills were directly transferred from airgun to 22. Scores grew on both with the same rate. So the usefulness of airgun practice for at least small-bore gun is evident.
MikeMargolis

Post by MikeMargolis »

I scored a barely used Steyr LP10 from gunbroker for $1000 even.

Very happy with it.