gun choices for .22 target

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Owl

gun choices for .22 target

Post by Owl »

I'd be interested in suggestions for .22 target guns with [1] intermediate weight (say, 30-43 oz before optics or barrel weights), and [2] a light, crisp, & silky trigger similar to my Hamden High Standard Supermatic Citation or Smith 41. I have not had the privilege of shooting a Pardini. Thanks.
northpaw

Re: gun choices for .22 target

Post by northpaw »

Owl wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:04 pm .. have not had the privilege of shooting a Pardini.
Your desires regarding trigger quality appear modest.
You owe yourself to own an Pardini, or Morini. Don´t waste money buying anything less. These guns are superior to other brands og models available. Hight Standard Citation? Fired some models from Hight Standard extensisvely back int the seventies and eighties. Fairly well made, all steel, but trigger did not offer the adjustability of the guns of today. Grips were 1911 style. A Pardini or Morini would be a giant leap forward.
william

Post by william »

Owl, your location gives you an advantage. Get hold of somebody at the Capital City Rifle & Pistol Club in Augusta and find out when their bullseye guys do their thing. Invite yourself in and use the opportunity to have some show & tell. A half hour of in-person, hands-on will tell you more than hours of solicited or unsolicited suggestions - mostly expressing little but personal preferences - from a bunch of strangers (including idiots like me).

It's a very welcoming club, and I can't believe you won't get all your questions answered in short order. And you'll probably make some new friends in the process.
https://www.capitolcityrpc.org/

PS: I have shot Pardinis since 1991, and that should matter to you just about not at all.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

william wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:26 am .. expressing little but personal preferences - from a bunch of strangers....
I´m a member of that bunch of unknowing strangers.
william wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:26 amPS: I have shot Pardinis since 1991, and that should matter to you just about not at all.
The Pardinis have veolved some from the early nineties... You have fired Pardinis, experience with Pardinis that is, and you may distinguish real target guns from plinkers. That does matter.
Last edited by northpaw on Sun May 02, 2021 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owl

Post by Owl »

william, northpaw: Thanks for your comments - much appreciated, as are any additional comments by other "strangers". Unfortunately, although a Pardini is something I should owe myself, it is not going to happen for budgetary reasons. I am, incidently, a longstanding member of Capitol City Rifle & Pistol, and am currently discussing somewhat more affordable .22 target guns with a couple of the members.
-Owl-
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Owl wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 pm I am, incidently, a longstanding member of Capitol City Rifle & Pistol, and am currently discussing somewhat more affordable .22 target guns with a couple of the members.
Please let us know where the discussions lead
Owl

Post by Owl »

UnGe wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:26 am
Owl wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:10 pm I am, incidently, a longstanding member of Capitol City Rifle & Pistol, and am currently discussing somewhat more affordable .22 target guns with a couple of the members.
Please let us know where the discussions lead
I will do that. At the moment, the discussions have not lead anywhere definite, but the path to a Smith 41 is becoming attractive. Already have a High Standard. Going to the club this coming Thursday afternoon to fire some rounds through a 41 that is for sale from another club member. In terms of gun weight, the 41 is a bit heavier than I was originally enquiring about, but it is by no means unmanageable, and a first rate trigger trumps pretty much everything.
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

Owl wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:05 pm I will do that. At the moment, the discussions have not lead anywhere definite, but the path to a Smith 41 is becoming attractive. Already have a High Standard. Going to the club this coming Thursday afternoon to fire some rounds through a 41 that is for sale from another club member. In terms of gun weight, the 41 is a bit heavier than I was originally enquiring about, but it is by no means unmanageable, and a first rate trigger trumps pretty much everything.
Interesting. I think Victor and 41 should be more or less the same level, and I personally would prefer Victor
croesler

Post by croesler »

I would also consider the Benelli MP95 and MP90s. Identical but for triggers, one being slightly more adjustable, albeit turning the blade one way or the other vs. fixed is about the only difference. I actually shoot the Benelli better than my Pardini, but enjoy them both.
robjob

Post by robjob »

I know they're not in vogue, but the walther GPSs are still very capable guns. New and used gun prices are not that different from the model 41...

I've shot walthers and pardinis, both good guns, not sure I'll ever own a pardini. I do own a GSP, but the nelson conversion is my competition 22.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

This discussion needs to start with a budget number

“I want to spend” $500, $1000, $1500, $2500
jps2486

Post by jps2486 »

The Hi-Standards and Smith 41s are fine shooting pistols, but could never compare with a Pardini. Mainly because the bore of the barrel in the Pardini is very low and almost along the axix of your arm resulting in very low recoil torque. Secondly, the two stage trigger is absolutely the best.
PaulK51

Post by PaulK51 »

I have a different problem. I lust after a Pardini or Walther GSP however They are not allowed to be sold in NY because they are classified as assault weapons. I can't recall any evidence of any crime committed with any target rifle or pistol in the last 60 years that I have been a shooter. I settled for a used S&W 41which had a better trigger than the new model. I has turned out to be a an excellent bullseye gun and has the luxury of transforming from bullseye to ISSF with remarkable ease. The Smith rail is a perfect fit for a dot sight while leaving the irons sights functional when the dot is removed. The rail does not encroach on the Irons. For the new year I plan to have a new grip made by "Precision Target Pistol Grips" to match the NRA bullseye grip they made for my .45 cal. If my club does enough ISSF shooting, I'll probably get a dedicated legal grip for ISSF from PTPG too.

https://www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/
kayakr

Post by kayakr »

I bought a 6" sig trailside (hammerli xesse) $500 on GB, larry's sight mount $100?, ultadot on ebay$100. That would be a reasonable place to start. I upgraded to larry's trigger $80? and rink grips $200. I've been shooting with it for about 2 years and am ranked 10/90 269 avg (includes a couple 250 disasters) in the local 9 club league, usually 1st or 2nd in club shoot list. The gun has a 2 stage trigger which I find advantageous after shooting air pistol and these aren't that common on lower end guns. 2 stage triggers usually have 80% weight in the takeup and the letoff is a crisp 20% more after a distinct stopping point. The trigger isn't that adjustable (depth etc) but good for the price. I'm hoping to get a pardini soon as I plan to do the sport long term and also need a more adjustable trigger. Also champions choice had extra mags very cheap compared to other guns so I bought 6 more. Gun outshoots me by a wide margin. Somehow I got a 97 on my first real slow fire target (after doing air pistol for a few months seriously). Weight naked is 31 oz.
porkchop

Post by porkchop »

I'm no authority, I like the conversions and right now the Nelson. I can shoot it as good as my Victor. What I like is for the whole setup and new custom built frame, with all new parts and a beautiful trigger job that I like for about $1100.
You can buy a European 22 but it's going to be about twice as much as mine, unless used maybe. I'm not knocking those pistols, they are nice, accurate, and have two-stage triggers that are adjustable which have some advantages. I'd like one myself, but not for bullseye shooting, I'd like one to shoot 25 meter Sport and Standard Pistol events. To me that is where they would really shine, I will get one sometime.
Stan
spektr

Post by spektr »

This is an experiential thing that discussions and opinions, while nice, just can't convey the message.
I got roped into shooting bullseye with a SW 22Abecause I had one. Nothing wrong with it, it went bang and holes appeared, but there wasnt a lot right with it either. I now have a High Standard Supermatic. Its worlds better, but it isnt a Eurogun. Almost ANY of the Euroguns will give you more capability. You need to shoot stuff and feel the differences to understand them, Fortunately, Bullesye shooters are worse than drug dealers in roping new guys into the sport by letting them shoot their hardware. BY ALL MEANS shoot a Pardini and if you can, a Morini. The Morini Rapid fire ALU gun was staggeringly good, but Ill probably trade up to a Pardini, for the safety in numbers..........
m1963

Post by m1963 »

One of my friends (that I shoot indoor bullseye with on a weekly basis) has the Morini 22 pistol. He always tells me that he would have bought the Pardini, had he gotten the same deal he did for the Morini. I think he would swap for a Pardini, if he could.

My bullseye 22 pistol, today, is a Pardini. This, after progressing from the SW41. I actually tried two 41’s, over several years, and they both gave alibi after alibi. The Pardini I shoot is alibi free. I can focus on shooting….

Long story short, get a Pardini and enjoy shooting while knowing you are using the best pistol made for bullseye 22.

By the way, I shoot iron sights only. No dots, ever. There may be better options for dots,…at least mounting wise.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

Early on i shot a S&W41, graduated to the old Hammerli-Walther Olympia, then the Walther GSP, and finally the Pardini SP when the weight of the Walthers was to much for me. I have more recently purchased a Marvel 22 conversion unit for the 1911. i use an old 1911A1 frame with a trigger at ca 2 lbs- shoots well and mimicks the 45ACP pistol.
Last edited by TonyT on Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rover

Post by Rover »

No one but TonyT has mentioned a .22 conversion kit for a .45 auto. Of course, if you don't have a .45 you're screwed, but down the road you will want one. Two guns for not a lot more money.
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I fould an old "beater" 1911A1 military parkerized gun and used the frame for a dedicated Marvel unit. Works like a charm.