Recommended Bullseye Pistol for intermediate pistol shooter?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

GarrisonHale

Recommended Bullseye Pistol for intermediate pistol shooter?

Post by GarrisonHale »

I have been raised to shoot pistol, however, as far as Bullseye is concerned, I'm somewhat of a novice. I have been looking at types of 1911's, and it seems that Colt, Ruger, and Kimber are at the top of my list right now for accuracy and reliability. Any thoughts on these handguns? I plan on getting a Ruger MkIII to parallel whatever .45 or 9mm I buy for Bullseye. My father is a Distinguished Pistol and Rifle Shooter, but I felt like I would come here to get other people's opinions along with his.
Wile E Coyote

Re: Recommended Bullseye Pistol for intermediate pistol shooter?

Post by Wile E Coyote »

Since you didn't include the usual request of "the cheapest"

.22 - Pardini. More accurate than you'll ever be, great ergonomics, and super reliability.
CF - Pardini HP. Same reasons and easier to shoot than .45 for the CF match
.45 - If you want off the shelf...Accuracy X. Otherwise pick a good pistol smith, discuss what you want, and have them build your pistol for you.

This will cost almost as much as a compact car with all the assorted accessories, but every shot that's outside the X is completely your fault.

"Buy all the points you can and then shoot the rest." Dave Lange
radjag

Post by radjag »

Whilst I agree that buying the best is certainly a good idea if you have the financial resources, if you are on a tighter budget (or just don't want to lay out big money till you are sure it is the sport for you) then a Ruger 22 plus a decent 1911 is a good choice.

The experts mostly recommend the Ruger mark 2 as having the best trigger to improve without aftermarket parts, but others might recommend getting the current 22/45 mark 4 bull barrel and add a Volquartsen trigger kit. The 22/45 grip angle is similar to a 1911, makes sense. Ruger offer an inexpensive scope rail when you are ready to add a dot.

On the Bullseye Forum there is almost unanimous vote for the Springfield Armory Range Officer as the best value, best made 1911 which only needs mild tuning by a good smith for it to be competitive. Make sure you choose the standard model SARO which has the adjustable target rear sight. With the stock barrel tightened up and a trigger job the SARO is more than capable of shooting Master level scores. I have one and it does. Send it to a reputable smith and have him drill/tap for a scope rail as well as trigger/tightening so that you will be ready when you want to add a red dot.
william

Post by william »

My father is a Distinguished Pistol and Rifle Shooter, but I felt like I would come here to get other people's opinions along with his.

Stop right there! A real, live, in-person guy whose experience you can trust and who can do show and tell with his pistols is worth 10 times any advice you can get here which, in the end, is likely to confuse you more than inform you.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

One of the best, and most economical choices which will advance your shooting the fastest is a Marvel or Nelson unit on a 1911 frame, and a Springfield Range officer with perhaps a Kart barrel, different length trigger and a rail with optics.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

The top shooter in our last 2 sessions (indoor, 25 yard, 30 rounds) averaged 276 with a factory stock Ruger Mk3 22/45 target model.

When you have steady hands, this game is easy :)
tray999

Post by tray999 »

GarrisonHale wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:47 am I have been raised to shoot pistol, however, as far as Bullseye is concerned, I'm somewhat of a novice. I have been looking at types of 1911's, and it seems that Colt, Ruger, and Kimber are at the top of my list right now for accuracy and reliability. Any thoughts on these handguns? I plan on getting a Ruger MkIII to parallel whatever .45 or 9mm I buy for Bullseye. My father is a Distinguished Pistol and Rifle Shooter, but I felt like I would come here to get other people's opinions along with his.

I would suggest starting low cost until you are sure you want to continue with Bullseye. Buy a Ruger and add a Volquardsen trigger kit. For CF and 45 go with a Springfield 1911 Range Officer. These two pistols will cost about $1500.00 new and less used. Better yet, borrow pistols until you see if you like the sport.