Left hand shooter/right hand rifle

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

shootnluva

Left hand shooter/right hand rifle

Post by shootnluva »

Does anyone have a left handed shooter that shoots a right handed bolt action rifle in NRA 3-P? If so what are the challenges to this combination if any. My son will start 3-P soon.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Pat McCoy

Re: Left hand shooter/right hand rifle

Post by Pat McCoy »

I've had several over the years. Be sure he is shooting with his dominant eye, and if that is the left one fine. No big problems reaching over to cycle the bolt and reload. Since everything is slow fire, there is plenty of time. Could even look at it as a positive, as that forces a check and possible minor rebuild of the position each shot. I had to do that for many years, as my arm was too short to reload in prone without taking the rifle out of my shoulder.

Some shooters who have long arms and reload while keeping the rifle in place can have changes that are uncaught as the rifle slowly moves on the shoulder, causing uncalled off shots.

In standing it actually makes reloading easier, as the rifle is on the rifle rest and the bolt operation and loading is done with the right hand.

It is really just a mental challenge that is handled by accepting it as part of reality. Shooting is 95% mental at the highest levels, and this is just the beginning of his mental training.
Th.

Post by Th. »

in the past there were these
IMG_0351.jpg
for lefthanded shooters
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I was sitting here thinking if there is another sport where being left-handed made as much of a difference with equipment; maybe golf, idk. If your son is left-eye dominant and shooting appears to be something in which he is REALLY interested, consider a left-hand rifle. With proper training the correct muscle memory can begin right away. Less added movement, as mentioned earlier, means better results. Sometimes it is not feasible monetarily and people have overcome. Seems like most manufacturers offer LH rifles at the same price thank goodness.
Anschutz LH 1903 @ $1,450.00 w/o sights, same as RH model. Anschutz LH 1907 @ $2,795.00 w/o sights, same as RH
Bob
shootnluva

Post by shootnluva »

Thanks for the info, he is right handed but is left eye dominant. therefore he shoots left handed.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I issue Olympic Gold Medalist Gary Anderson’s “Coaching Young Rifle Shooters” to each Junior in the Rifle Summer Camp. In this book (page 42-43) eye dominance and his suggestions on cross-dominance are given. “1. Shooters who are right eye dominant should shoot from the right shoulder if they are comfortable doing this. 2. Shooters who are left-eye dominant should shoot from the left shoulder if they are comfortable doing this. 3. Shooters who are cross-dominant, that is, they are only comfortable shooting from the shoulder opposite their dominant eye, should shoot with a blinder attached to the rear sight.”
In the accompanying photo on page 43 he writes, “ the best solution for cross-dominant shooters is to attach a blinder to the rear sight.”

While being saddled with all right-handed club rifles, I have had a lot of right-handed, left eye dominant shooters over the years. They have all shot right-handed using a blinder attached to the rear sight blocking the left eye. Blocker is actually more correct than blinder if you consider the function, but I digress.

If, as the book reads in solution #2, he is more comfortable shooting from the left shoulder consider a left handed rifle. If not, use a blinder ((blocker) in front of the left eye and shoot right handed.

P.S. I have all Juniors using a blinder in front of their non-dominant eye to reduce eye fatigue.
Bob
shootnluva

Post by shootnluva »

Thank you, he says he is comfortable shooting from the left side. He is 13 and been shooting this way since he was 9. I appreciate the information.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Greatest tool in a Junior shooter’s toolbox is a supportive parent. My hat is off to you.