Target Sequence

Hints and how to’s for coaches and junior shooters of all categories

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963

Courtney s

Target Sequence

Post by Courtney s »

I'm working with my son in 4-H Sporter Air rifle , this is his first year and I too am learning. I need some help on what sequence to shoot the target.

The target is the NRA 10 Meter Air rifle target (NRA AR-5/10) it has 12 bulls , 2 sighters in the center column.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAD

He shoots a Daisy 599 as it is very adjustable.
So any other insight would be appreciated
spektr

Re: Target Sequence

Post by spektr »

I start at the top left and go counterclockwise.... i like to finish the top going that direction as it is less stressful for me and as an old blind guy with 1 foot, it works......
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

I was taught:
Upper left and go down
Shift body to center row and go down
Shift body to right row and go down.
Courtney s

Post by Courtney s »

This is the same for all 3 positions?
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Courtney s wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:33 am This is the same for all 3 positions?
If the question was directed at me. Yes, I shoot all targets that way.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

I taught our juniors to make as few, and as small, position changes as possible. After the sighter, top center, then left top and down the column, across the bottom, then up the right side. The horizontal changes are more difficult, but limited to three.

Be sure not to "cheat" on the veritcal changes by using breathing and holding different amounts of air in the lungs. Move the actual position with the body. Keep the chest as relaxed as possible by shooting during the "natural respiratory pause" (at the end of exhalation).
bdutton

Post by bdutton »

Pat McCoy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:26 pm I taught our juniors to make as few, and as small, position changes as possible. After the sighter, top center, then left top and down the column, across the bottom, then up the right side. The horizontal changes are more difficult, but limited to three.

Be sure not to "cheat" on the veritcal changes by using breathing and holding different amounts of air in the lungs. Move the actual position with the body. Keep the chest as relaxed as possible by shooting during the "natural respiratory pause" (at the end of exhalation).
This!
Courtney s

Post by Courtney s »

This great information now just lots of practice
PCU

Post by PCU »

Agree with making as few position changes as possible. You can further reduce horizonal changes to two. After sighters then targets above and below sighters. Then shoot one column top to bottom or bottom to top. Go to other column & do the same.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

Yes, but the horizontal change from left to right columns is much larger. Over time my shooters preferred the extra small change. Try both to see what you like.
JacketCoach

Post by JacketCoach »

I teach mine bottom spotter, top spotter, top center, bottom center, left bottom go up to top, right top and go down. While this makes for one long top to bottom there are only two lateral shifts.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Not sure of the complete logic behind this as I started to use it 55+ years ago.
top SS
bottom SS
bottom middle (9)
up left side (8,6,4,1)
top middle (2)
down right side (3,5,7,10)
jhmartin

Post by jhmartin »

It is a <small> matter of tactics. WE tried to keep horizontal changes to a minimum. - Center then left column the right column.

It really is not that big of deal as long as you DON"T CHANGE your coaching. Then they get confused and double shoot a bull or leave one blank.
Keep it the same and reduce confusion.
Just don't shoot in the target numbered order. Let the kids know that is how it is scored, but they can shoot any pattern they want.

I've seen coaches change their fad of "sequence" of the month/year and cost their shooters points.
All they should be thinking about is:
1) Their shot plan
2) rejecting a bad shot & not trying to save it
3) smooth squeeze.
Hopefully not their BF or GF!!! :-)
Courtney s

Post by Courtney s »

It has been a while since I have been on here so here is an up date. My son won the 2021 TN 4H Jr Air rifle , the shot sequence was top sighter bottom sighter , bottom center then clockwise around the target.

Also he is shooting a Daisy 599 and it has a very short sight distance and after lots of searching I found a download on this sight that was a table that gave what size insert for every sight distance, because this rifle has a very short sight distance I fabricated the correct insert out of an existing one that was too small. He shot a personal best and won the medal, he was just 12, proud day for dad!
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

About the insert size.
I would not rely on that table.
But, you might use it at a starting point.

What I found out is that I need to use different size inserts, depending on how good/bad I am holding on a particular day.
I use an insert size that keeps the bull inside the insert most of the time.
If I am more wobbly than normal, I use a larger insert.
If I am more steady than normal, I use a smaller insert.

I have also read about coaches using a larger insert.

I don't know that there is a "best" solution.
I think it is all about what works best for the individual shooter.
Dan P

Post by Dan P »

I shoot the bottom sighter, top sighter, top middle and then work my way around counter clockwise, ending with the top right. If shooting two targets at once, I start the second target at the top left (just to the right of the last shot on the first target) and go around counter clockwise again, ending with the top center.