USAS-50 Scoring Gauge

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Paul

USAS-50 Scoring Gauge

Post by Paul »

Is there such a thing as an Eagle Eye scoring device for the USAS-50 smallbore target ? Although I've never seen one, maybe it's available somewhere ?
Tim S

Re: USAS-50 Scoring Gauge

Post by Tim S »

Aren't Eagle Eye gauges (and overlay gauges generally) just a generic 0.22 cal? There's an inner ring that corresponds roughly to the hole, and an outer ring marking the bullet. Those I've seen work on any target. Plug gauges are often target specific, if the flange is oversize, corresponding to target rings.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Aren't Eagle Eye gauges (and overlay gauges generally) just a generic 0.22 cal? There's an inner ring that corresponds roughly to the hole, and an outer ring marking the bullet. Those I've seen work on any target. Plug gauges are often target specific, if the flange is oversize, corresponding to target rings.
Tim, the Eagle Eye devices usually come with engraved 4.5 mm and 5.6mm rings. For scoring the 10 to 4 on the USAS-50, the ring has to be 8.98mm. As I already said, I've never seen one.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Paul,

Why does the USAS-50 require a specific gauge? Forgive me, but I've never shot on one. Oversize gauges that score one ring out are common, if not actually the norm here. But, a plain 0.22 gauge will work.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Because it’s all so tight near the middle it needs to be scored with an outside scoring gauge.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Any of you found a source for outward .22 plug?
Paul

Post by Paul »

Any of you found a source for outward .22 plug?
I got mine a few years ago from Earnest Shooting Products.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

pdeal wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:49 am Because it’s all so tight near the middle it needs to be scored with an outside scoring gauge.
Is it inwards/best edge gauging? I think I see. Our short-range targets gauge outwards, so the rings are comparatively large; the 25 yard 10 ring is directly proportional to the 50m (as far as I can tell), but physically larger because on outwards vs inwards scoring.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Thanks Paul. I found a bit from the Iroquois Rod and Gun Club meeting years ago when Earnest appeared there and spoke. They had a link to his 2015 catalog and I got the phone number. I will report on whether he still offers it after I call him.
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

I called him the other day and I found that W. "Bill" Earnest is a nice guy and he said he is 80. Mr. Earnest said that he still has a good bit of shooting equipment on hand and when it is gone he will retire completely. He said that he believes he is now out of handstops. Mr. Earnest said he was a toolmaker by trade. I bought several .22 Outward scoring gauges at $10.00 a piece and $5.00 S&H. Mr. Earnest said he will mail me a catalog with the gauges. He does not do credit cards but he will take a check and, I guess, USPS money orders. I will report when they arrive! Please call during normal daytime business hours. His telephone number is 570-797-4872. If the catalog is not too large I will scan it and can send you a copy if interested.
Bob
rgibson

Post by rgibson »

Got the scoring gauges pretty quickly. The catalog was not with them.