What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
nmondal

What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

Post by nmondal »

Hi Folks,
Advance thanks for all the help :-)
As some of you are aware that my ordered Gun Walther LP 500 is in Limbo ( Corona related goof up ).
So, given I do not have any right now - I was wondering how Feinwerkbau P8X - compares against Walther LP 500?
I asked Ramon ( Olympic Pistol ) and he said try both if I can, but I can not ( perks of Geo-Location ).

In my mind I have some + for Walther.
I already use a Hammerli AP 20 Pro. That means - both the cylinders are useful for me with Walther LP 500 E trigger.
( unless, Feinwerkbau also use similar Cylinder - which I do not think it does , or does it? )
Seems like ( big seems ) AP 20 Pro is a modified Walther LP 400, so.. almost everything will be similar sans the trigger.

At the same time Feinwerkbau - possibly has the best mechanical trigger.
Moreover, seems like the Grip is adjustable in Feinwerkbau for rotation -
I use a modified grip ( Rink by myself ) because I shoot with left eye - while hold the gun in right hand.
This probably should be easier with Feinwerkbau.

So the summary is:
1. I can probably cancel the order and get back the advanced money
2. Order Feinwerkbau if it works

Also question : Feinwerkbau comes with 2 Cylinders or 1 Cylinder?
Thanks again for the all the help. Honestly, I have never dreamt that I would have the luxury to talk to the best in the world.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
eugene

Re: What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

Post by eugene »

Considering P8X myself.

I see some sellers offer it with 2 cylinders only, some allow with one at a reduced price. I wouldn't dwell on compatibility with AP20: it's probably easiest to sell Hämmerli together with its cylinders to fund the Feinwerkbau.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I would inquire first about how best to get parts and service for whatever you purchase. Many places sell items that they don't stock parts for, nor perform service. As a former owner of Walther Hammerli/Umarex products in the USA, I know this all too well. 10 years down the road, you don't want to own a paper weight. I think highly of Feinwerkbau products, I just am not sure about where to have them serviced where I live. That would be my deciding factor.

FYI the Steyr also swivels so grip can be offset to sight line.
robjob

Post by robjob »

Walther grip is rotatable as well...
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

robjob wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:45 pm Walther grip is rotatable as well...
This is true. It even cants a bit if you don't want to make that adjustment on your sights. I think the FWB probably has an extra degree or two on the right side on account of the Walther's two-post cocking lever.

This thread is my dilemma two months ago. I was deciding between the P8X and LP500, upgrading from the FWB P44. The P44 has every axis imaginable as an adjustment on the grip, and I assume the P8X uses a similar system.

I ended up getting an LP500 Expert w/ Electronic trigger. The adjustment on the Walther grip is easier to return to your setting when you de/reinstall. That said, I think the FWB system is a little easier to dial in minor adjustments.

If the trigger on the P8X is comparable to the P44 then yes, I'd say the FWB is better. But I didn't get the electro trigger for feel, I got it for the added tuning and of course dry fire. The FWB trigger really is special, though. Sooooooo good.

The P8X uses a barrel shroud design for attaching weights so I can't comment on how that works. The P44 uses a sliding weight over a bare barrel. I can say that the Walther is much more manageable in a lighter configuration than the P44. If FWB kept the same balance, be prepared to use weights out front to mitigate shaking.

I'm giddy in love with the Walther and I've already shot a new PR with it. That said, I'm sure I would have been just as happy with the P8X, but for its different qualities. They're both the same price in mechanical trigger form, and both come with a single. Cylinder. The electro trigger Walther is $400 more, iirc.
spektr

Post by spektr »

The FWB P8x grip is adjustable for Rake, twist and a bit of cant.
The Sight package is adjustable for length and a lot of Cant. The front sight revolves around the
barrel and the rear sight revolves around the action. Its got graduated markings on it.
The trigger is mechanical. It can be argued that they have slower lock times, but what is indisputable is that they are infinitely more tunable.
The gun will dry fire with the push of the dry fire button. Open the bolt, hold it all the way back and push the button.
The trigger can be moved fore and aft, pivot laterally and the index finger pad swivels on a unibal and can be placed about anywhere.
The trigger on my P44 and the P8X are nearly identical, and it has never given me an issue. It also never needs batteries, board replacement or dumb micro usb blinking lights.....

As far as service, Im going on 5 years with my P44, which is the P8Xs predecessor and I have replaced 2 screws. The trigger clamp screw and a setscrew that locks the adjustable sliding weight to the shaft. I might send it in for a cleaning and a once over just because I can.

The only P8X caution is to always put the safety plug in the gun to lock the absorber in place so it doesn't vibrate out of position and lock the gun up. If you do that, a few minutes with a bamboo skewer of wooden swab stick will return it to its correct position.
william

Post by william »

It looks like a Farkles checklist.

How did anybody ever break 520 before they were all invented?
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Hi folks,
Is something I can see FWB is supporting.
I took the screenshot from the manual of FWB.
I did not see that being done by Walther - any any of it's manuals.
I have to order one of them now - please advice.
Related Grip discussion :
http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... 40#p306724

Please advice.
Any help will be appreciated. We do not have luxury to test and try any of these - at all before we buy.
:(
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

I bought a P8X in 2017.
Best airgun I have shot with. I've owned LP10s, 162EI, LP400, LP@ before.
To really begin concentrating on sights and trigger and process you first need a gun that can point naturally when the arm is raised. The quick adjustability of everything on the P8X shortens this process considerably.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

jbshooter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:05 pm I bought a P8X in 2017.
Best airgun I have shot with. I've owned LP10s, 162EI, LP400, LP@ before.
To really begin concentrating on sights and trigger and process you first need a gun that can point naturally when the arm is raised. The quick adjustability of everything on the P8X shortens this process considerably.
Thanks jbshooter!
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Some people think canting sights are a gimmick. Due to old elbow injuries my gun is canted away from my arm by about five degrees and angled nearly to the extent shown in the photo below. By being able to adjust the cant with the sights means my gun still fits in the issf box without having to cut any wood from the bottom of the grip. I couldn't do this with my earlier LP10.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

jbshooter wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:43 pm Some people think canting sights are a gimmick. Due to old elbow injuries my gun is canted away from my arm by about five degrees and angled nearly to the extent shown in the photo below. By being able to adjust the cant with the sights means my gun still fits in the issf box without having to cut any wood from the bottom of the grip. I couldn't do this with my earlier LP10.
Thanks again! In my case I am shooting with left eye - with right hand! And thus, the sights must be aligned to my left eye - while I am holding the gun in the right hand. And that is exactly why this becomes interesting!
nmondal

Walther LP 500 Base it is for me now :-)

Post by nmondal »

It is pretty apparent that FWB is a better choice - *unless* servicing & support is a problem.
And apparently, in India it is.
I talked with the FWB folks - they pointed me to someone else who called me up and then said - she does not do non - fire-arms.
Now she gave me another no - where when I sent whatsapp - automated response came up.

In a very interesting development - https://www.artekindia.com
- when I talked with them - turns out they have a base model of ( mechanical trigger ) LP - 500 - Small Grip !! surprise !! - with Blue Angel.
It is seating in customs - and hence immediately available ( they just have to courier it only).

Custom LP500 will be taking 70 days - FWB 40 days, I do not think that is advisable ( CORONA - not the beer )
Hence I am going with this one - sorry - and thank you all - and I will definitely buy FWB when situation improves in India.
Thank you all - you have been tremendous help.
Should have bought FWB first chance - but then... am a bit older now, hindsight comes in.

It is being shipped as of now from Delhi to my address.
robjob

Post by robjob »

spektr wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:57 pm The FWB P8x grip is adjustable for Rake, twist and a bit of cant.
The Sight package is adjustable for length and a lot of Cant. The front sight revolves around the
barrel and the rear sight revolves around the action. Its got graduated markings on it.
The trigger is mechanical. It can be argued that they have slower lock times, but what is indisputable is that they are infinitely more tunable.
The gun will dry fire with the push of the dry fire button. Open the bolt, hold it all the way back and push the button.
The trigger can be moved fore and aft, pivot laterally and the index finger pad swivels on a unibal and can be placed about anywhere.
Sounds like your describing the LP500 as well...
High Left

Post by High Left »

My P8X (lefty) wouldn't fit in the box with the grip angled for a cross dominant eye. I couldn't bear to carve the grip down, so I switched eyes instead.

Actually, I found the sight picture was much better looking straight out the left lens, rather than the corner of the right. I'll eventually set up a set of champions, but I'll stick with the left eye. Having the gun straight with my arm seems more important than I had imagined. And I can avoid canting at the same time.
northpaw

Post by northpaw »

High Left wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am so I switched eyes instead.
...(!)
High Left wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am And I can avoid canting at the same time.
Avoid canting? If canting brings a more relaxed hold of your gun, you may well cant the gun. Canting does no harm if it is consistent.
High Left

Post by High Left »

I was canting for quite awhile to shoot cross dominant. Primarily bullseye pistols with dot sights. And I found I would sometimes start to relax the cant during rapid fire strings. Training and practice should fix that ...

Trying to shoot irons with a sub 6 hold was strange and uncomfortable with the sights canted. Rolling the sights over on the P8 so they'd be horizontal would fix that, but not for the other guns. Add to that the wrist angle to keep the gun level with a 45. Didn't seem like a good way to go.

The real turning point was when I started working on blank wall drills, with the muzzle inches away from the wall. I could not get a sharp front sight. And that's when I traced my line of sight back to the upper left corner of the right lens of my progressive glasses, with a 1.0 clip-on over them. Putting a blinder (piece of scotch tape) on it gave me a straight shot out of the left lens and magnifier. Nice sharp front sight. And it feels completely natural.

FWIW, I'm right handed, right eye dominant. But my right hand shakes so much now shooting a handgun is basically impossible. I can tell the left is getting worse, but it's light years ahead of the right. With my right and a dot sight, the dot traces an ellipse from the upper right to lower left corner of the target paper. And the dot itself is more or less untrackable, it's just a blurred ring of light. I don't think the average person could shake that fast if they tried ;-)
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

william
Post by william » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:33 am

It looks like a Farkles checklist.

How did anybody ever break 520 before they were all invented?

Hello William....that seems a little like asking how we made it to the store when horses or buggies were the norm before automobiles, or how we survived summer before air conditioning.

Well we obviously did...but not in the same level of comfort as a car over a horse, or AC instead of open windows on a humid summers day.

I see the development of competition pistols as providing similar advantages including the “farkles” you and Rover refer to.

These comments are not meant to be difficult or argumentative but to hopefully focus on the present rather than stubbornly looking backwards.
william

Post by william »

deadeyedick wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 pm...These comments are not meant to be difficult or argumentative but to hopefully focus on the present rather than stubbornly looking backwards.
Is it stubborn to suggest that the path to Olympic / World Cup / Legend-in-our-own-Mind glory is paved with a little basic talent and a lot of hard work and dedication? By my calculation, that puts the pistol in third place. Yet here we are, approaching 20 replies to another "which pistol" thread (some run MUCH longer).

I suspect it's the sneaky desire to shortcut the hard work and dedication part. And lest there be any accusations of "holier than thou," believe me I've gone that route as well. Otherwise I'd still be shooting a Russky farm implement. The fact remains I shot my second-best ever score, 1 point below personal best, with an Izh46 (not even an M) which qualifies as about as farkle-free device as the sport permits.

Maybe it's time for someone to title their new thread: "I'D LIKE TO BUY SOME POINTS." Even the oldest and crabbiest old crabs like Rover & me would applaud such forthrightness.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

william wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:32 am
deadeyedick wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:10 pm...These comments are not meant to be difficult or argumentative but to hopefully focus on the present rather than stubbornly looking backwards.
Is it stubborn to suggest that the path to Olympic / World Cup / Legend-in-our-own-Mind glory is paved with a little basic talent and a lot of hard work and dedication? By my calculation, that puts the pistol in third place. Yet here we are, approaching 20 replies to another "which pistol" thread (some run MUCH longer).

I suspect it's the sneaky desire to shortcut the hard work and dedication part. And lest there be any accusations of "holier than thou," believe me I've gone that route as well. Otherwise I'd still be shooting a Russky farm implement. The fact remains I shot my second-best ever score, 1 point below personal best, with an Izh46 (not even an M) which qualifies as about as farkle-free device as the sport permits.

Maybe it's time for someone to title their new thread: "I'D LIKE TO BUY SOME POINTS." Even the oldest and crabbiest old crabs like Rover & me would applaud such forthrightness.
Totally agree. My trouble is 2 fold.
1. AP 20 trigger gone bersek.
2. I need small grip - not Medium ( which I have now ).
I do not think I am at all into the idea that guns make a shooter. Definitely do not.