What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
brent375hh

Re: What to Buy ? Feinwerkbau P8X vs Walther LP 500

Post by brent375hh »

Its highly unlikely that many people can shoot 60 shots without the occasional catastrophic 8.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

brent375hh wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:03 am Its highly unlikely that many people can shoot 60 shots without the occasional catastrophic 8.
I once hit only one 8 in a 60 shot session. Unfortunately it wasn't a PR for me because I somehow also shot a boatload of 9s. Oh well.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

brent375hh wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:03 am Its highly unlikely that many people can shoot 60 shots without the occasional catastrophic 8.
That is very correct. But if it happens, and it happens late in the final round, unless you are Saurabh Chaudhury, you are out of the competition.
If it is him, he would score two 10.9 post that.
Anyone follows 10 M Pistol shooting in youtube?
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
robjob

Post by robjob »

Labeling shot values as inherently "good" or "bad" is BAD. When you first start out, you may label anything above 8 as "good" and below that as "bad". This trains your brain to feel that 8's are good, or at least, not bad. As you improve, you may consciously say 10s are good and 8s are bad, but your prior experience has trained your brain that 8 and 9s are good so your setting yourself up for internal conflict.

To take this a bit further, many of us unconsciously link our personal worth/value on the quality of our shooting. This sets us up for even larger failure as "good people don't shoot 'bad' shots so I must not be a 'good' shooter" because i shoot 'bad' shots". Hows that for a confidence booster from your subconscious in a match?

To go to the extreme, if your shooting 570+ and you deem 9.5 bad after years of practicing to shoot 9s and 10s, you run into the same mental issues. If you put an 8 on target, your now dealing with years of self beratement training at a critical time. That's easy to come back from, right?

I feel it's much better to judge a shot "good" by "was it on call or not". If it was, it's acceptable, regardless of where you would have preferred it to be. This way, your judging yourself on the quality/consistancy of your process, not the score on paper. This way, your process is free to improve without the emotional baggage of the occasional "bad" shot value dragging you down to to the depths of "catastrophe"
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

robjob wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:21 am Labeling shot values as inherently "good" or "bad" is BAD. When you first start out, you may label anything above 8 as "good" and below that as "bad". This trains your brain to feel that 8's are good, or at least, not bad. As you improve, you may consciously say 10s are good and 8s are bad, but your prior experience has trained your brain that 8 and 9s are good so your setting yourself up for internal conflict.

To take this a bit further, many of us unconsciously link our personal worth/value on the quality of our shooting. This sets us up for even larger failure as "good people don't shoot 'bad' shots so I must not be a 'good' shooter" because i shoot 'bad' shots". Hows that for a confidence booster from your subconscious in a match?

To go to the extreme, if your shooting 570+ and you deem 9.5 bad after years of practicing to shoot 9s and 10s, you run into the same mental issues. If you put an 8 on target, your now dealing with years of self beratement training at a critical time. That's easy to come back from, right?

I feel it's much better to judge a shot "good" by "was it on call or not". If it was, it's acceptable, regardless of where you would have preferred it to be. This way, your judging yourself on the quality/consistancy of your process, not the score on paper. This way, your process is free to improve without the emotional baggage of the occasional "bad" shot value dragging you down to to the depths of "catastrophe"
+1
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Let me put in my vote that you should get the LP-500. And then you should paint it.
Attachments
Paint2Small.jpg
Paint1Small.jpg
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Hmmmmm.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Brazos

Post by Brazos »

deadeyedick wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:23 amHmmmmm.
So how did you remove the LP 500 & Walther from the barrel sleeve? I just got an LP 500 Expert and my lettering is chrome. It looks ok but wish it was lettered in white. On another note the new LP500’s come with two aluminum air cylinders and not one carbon fiber cylinder.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Brazos wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:44 pm So how did you remove the LP 500 & Walther from the barrel sleeve? I just got an LP 500 Expert and my lettering is chrome. It looks ok but wish it was lettered in white. On another note the new LP500’s come with two aluminum air cylinders and not one carbon fiber cylinder.
I took off the barrel shroud and dumped some Goo Gone into the trough where the lettering is. After a few minutes the letters came up, and one or two more applications got the adhesive off. I was thinking of using them for different witty sayings, but I just like it better blank.

You're right about the carbon cylinders not being in the kit anymore, but you can still get them from Walther USA.
Brazos

Post by Brazos »

Thanks. So the letters are just glued on. I would like to take them off and paint them white but getting them back on straight may be tough. The chrome isn’t too bad so may not be worth my effort. Your paint job looks great. As far as the aluminum cylinders go I am fine with it. I was hoping when I ordered the pistol I would get the new version with the two aluminum cylinders though the carbon cylinder looks great.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

The 2022 colors are in! Unfortunately my shooting sucks since coming back from finally catching the coof. In the meantime, a new lick of paint to improve my mood.
Attachments
XAlZyhe.jpg
wCFT1Xc.jpg
wz2p0Kk.jpg
nmondal

After Rink Grip is Fixed...

Post by nmondal »

This is how mine looks like now.

:-)
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

McMadCow wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 pm The 2022 colors are in! Unfortunately my shooting sucks since coming back from finally catching the coof. In the meantime, a new lick of paint to improve my mood.
Hi,
What trigger you are using, if you could let us know and what benefits do you obtain with the downward slope of your trigger shoe?
Thanks.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

emre-nur wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:08 am
Hi,
What trigger you are using, if you could let us know and what benefits do you obtain with the downward slope of your trigger shoe?
Thanks.
It's an Anschutz sensive trigger. I had to modify it slightly to fit on my pistol, but it does work. I use the downward slope and cant on the trigger because my trigger finger tends to come down to the shoe, instead of across at a right angle. I'm not sure why that happens, probably something I'm doing weird to get a fit on the pistol grip. It was the same situation on the pistol I had before this one too.

EDIT: attached a photo of how my trigger finger engages the trigger.
Attachments
IMG_20220214_204115_1.jpg
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

McMadCow wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:30 pm
Hi,
Thanks.
It's an Anschutz sensive trigger. I had to modify it slightly to fit on my pistol, but it does work. I use the downward slope and cant on the trigger because my trigger finger tends to come down to the shoe, instead of across at a right angle. I'm not sure why that happens, probably something I'm doing weird to get a fit on the pistol grip. It was the same situation on the pistol I had before this one too.

Hi and many thanks.
I guess this is the one
https://shop.ahg-anschuetz.de/media/ima ... 4-3_02.jpg

I might have a similar problem. The pistol drops down while going from center to sub-six as the trigger operation intensifies. It might be that the M-size grip is big for my hand, though I have sent the size of my hand to the German seller. I made some support to the palm shelf with a leather piece (upon advice from a senior member of this Forum) but not sure how much it worked.

Anyway, it feels like being able to adjust the trigger in more angles could help.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

emre-nur wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:57 am
McMadCow wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:30 pm
Hi,
Thanks.

Hi and many thanks.
I guess this is the one
https://shop.ahg-anschuetz.de/media/ima ... 4-3_02.jpg

I might have a similar problem. The pistol drops down while going from center to sub-six as the trigger operation intensifies. It might be that the M-size grip is big for my hand, though I have sent the size of my hand to the German seller. I made some support to the palm shelf with a leather piece (upon advice from a senior member of this Forum) but not sure how much it worked.

Anyway, it feels like being able to adjust the trigger in more angles could help.
And one final thing, why is my rear sight much forward in comparison to others (with much shorter sight radius)? Is it the shape of the grip or some adjustment? I haven't touched most of the adjustments yet (9 months). Some off-line coaching would help.

IMG_8041-2.jpg
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

It looks like you can still lower your trigger shoe to fit you better. Undo the trigger post from the bottom, and then swap out those spacers to leave the shoe at the very bottom.

As far as your rear sight, there's a hex bolt on top of the plastic housing behind the chamber. Loosen that and move your sight back. There's a scale on the rail that it slides on so you can know what distance you like.
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

McMadCow wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:00 pm Let me put in my vote that you should get the LP-500. And then you should paint it.
Wow that looks fancy. Did you paint yourself? What paint you used? Epoxy spray can?
lwy.todd.lu

Post by lwy.todd.lu »

McMadCow wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:09 pm The 2022 colors are in! Unfortunately my shooting sucks since coming back from finally catching the coof. In the meantime, a new lick of paint to improve my mood.
Is that official colour? Or you painted it too. Lol
Looks amazing by the way.