You rifle shooters have my respect!

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

brent375hh

You rifle shooters have my respect!

Post by brent375hh »

I am a 560 AP shooter that inherited a FWB 300S a while back. Last night I finally gave it a go for the first (maybe last) time. I thought, " how hard can this be"?

My score was a 426. Yes, that's not a typo. That rifle waved all over the target and there were many 4s and 5s involved. I was really trying to hold and squeeze, but I know I was grabbing the trigger as the sights looked good enough. There aren't enough pants, boots, and coats that could help me. I used to shoot respectable scores in 4P and HP, but this is clearly a different animal to me.

The most amazing thing is the 110 pound females that dominate in this sport. They are shooting heavy rifles aren't they?

I don't think I will ever invest the time or money to try to be competitive, but I sure do have an appreciation for how hard it is now.
GaryN

Re: You rifle shooters have my respect!

Post by GaryN »

You did better than me.
When I started, I was struggling just to keep all 10 shots on the target paper. Can you say multiple ZEROs.

Several sessions with a coach and I was able to hold the black.
Which for an AP shooter, was "good enough."
Richard144

Post by Richard144 »

10 meter air rifle is difficult. I have shot many different rifle competitions and I think it is the most difficult. It is at the very least, one of the most difficult. Unfortunately we have no matches around here anymore but it is a great winter time match. All of the matches seem to be for young shooters which I am not. When I broke 500 I felt like I won Olympics!
It just looks easy because it is such a short distance.

Rick B.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

The air rifle game has really changed. At the USISC (US International Shooting Championships) in 1974 we were shooting outside in the desert north of Phoenix. As I recall, I won the collegiate championship with a score of 354/400. There were two collegiate shooters shooting air rifle and the other one borrowed my rifle. The open national record at the time was in the 380's. The top collegiate shooters this year are averaging 598/600 and the top 38 averaged 590+/600. Several 600s were fired this year.

In 1970s the target had a 1mm 10, whereas now it is 0.5mm (1989 change). The jackets had the stiffness of a dishrag. No special shooting pants.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I have a 1980 heavy HP rifle coat.
I didn't use it because I think it is not ISSF legal.
Moy

Post by Moy »

brent375hh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:05 pm I used to shoot respectable scores in 4P and HP, but this is clearly a different animal to me.
I feel you, haha. I initially thought I could do smallbore, but so far I've chickened out and am sticking with high power. The 7" 10 ring is so forgiving. I practice on issf smallbore targets, and my scores magically go from 75-80 up to 90-95+ when I switch from 50m 22lr to 100y/200y 223. (We're not going to talk about the wind at 600 yards, I've backed myself into an awkward corner there)

Almost all the difference is in standing (again, ignoring 600 yard wind). So a competition like air rifle that is only standing... that's just brutal.
brent375hh wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:05 pm There aren't enough pants, boots, and coats that could help me
I will say - proper pants and jacket do make a difference. I had no idea until I got some, and wow, it really helps tighten up the hold on standing. It won't turn 0s into 10s, but it helps keep things steadier, and it really helps me consistency-wise. And it helps a bit making your first shot more consistent with your last shot, since I feel it gives more support to your body.
proneshooter

Post by proneshooter »

During the first head coaches meeting after our school brought rifle back to varsity status the Football coach said that rifle wasn't a real sport. After the meeting I invited him to the range to try out our sport. After struggling with a smallbore rifle off hand he said he was wrong and at the next months head coaches meeting he stood up and said he was wrong and it was the most difficult thing he had ever tried.
PaulK51

Post by PaulK51 »

I have the opposite problem. In my youth I was a 3 position and Air Rifle competitor. I was a 560+ shooter but now shoot AP and have trouble breaking 500. I guess I shouldn't complain since I started out with trouble breaking 400. If you think air rifle is tough, try Free Pistol. It' like shooting the 10 meter air pistol target at 50 feet with a .22.
spektr

Post by spektr »

I have an 800X and you don't see me shouting about how easy it is, because it isn't.
Xman

Post by Xman »

Ah the memories. Was a 3P collegiate shooter in the middle 70s.A local club (Rochester (NY) Rifle Club) was in a 4 position league. Sitting was tough as I never bent that way before. A club member had a Walther LGR. I shot it several times and loved it. Albeit I was at my peak competing at 50ft. The AR practice greatly helped my 22 standing. Was already a pretty good standing shooter. Just got better. Yes was with a heavy coat. Just used what you had available.