Bore snake for pistol’s match barrel?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

Red12

Bore snake for pistol’s match barrel?

Post by Red12 »

Hi All

I’m finally getting my new Benelli MP90S next week, after a wait of almost 18 months (various reasons for the extraordinary delay, including production delays due COVID-19 issues). My preferred sport is ISSF Standard Pistol, but I have very limited experience. I’ve been using a Browning Buck Mark to date.

I’d like to ask you guys who own a Benelli pistol what you use to clean the barrel? I usually use a bore snake on my Buck Mark, but I read elsewhere that it could damage the crown with repeated use. I’m not keen on using a rod and brush / jag either if I have to insert muzzle end. An alternative could be a patch worm, taking care not to rub against the crown.

Can anyone enlighten me please?

John
Rover

Re: Bore snake for pistol’s match barrel?

Post by Rover »

Yeah, get the Bore Snake. There's nothing so satisfying as dragging a crud-laden wad repeatedly through your bore while sawing away at the crown with an abrasive string,
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey John:

Now I am not sure if a bore snake will damage your barrel with repeated use but I use a patch worm almost exclusively.

While a patch worm is not much more then a simple cloth patch with a plastic pull but what I think really helps is that I use some of the "wonderstuff muricle" firearm cleaner, lubricant, protectant fluids that are available today. There are a million of them out there and I am not sure one is better then the other but I have used Ezzox, Gunzilla, Anschutz Ceramic, and Iosso on my expensive 22 LR firearms and also my centerfires as well. I think that these products penetrate the steel inside the barrel and other places, and form a surface where dirt, carbon, and copper is easily removed as opposed to bare steel.

Go on many firearm forums and ask for cleaner recommendations and you will get a bunch of avid supporters for the cleaner du jur, you will find tests of raw steel exposed to the Caribbean marine environment for weeks, durabilty tests of how long between cleanings, rust prevention, temperature function tests etc. Bottom line is that if you are near the ocean you are going to clean and protect your firearm more often then every couple of decades, your not going to be competing in forty below weather, and your going to clean your gun every couple thousand rounds or so.

With that being said, I have used Ezzox because 8 years ago when I got my pardini I saw a test that said it was the best, gunzilla because it was developed locally and I purchased a bottle to support the local business, Anchutz Ceramic because that is what is recommended by Anschutz and I had a order in to Champions choice, and Iosso because that is what Pardini USA recommends and I was getting a couple more magazines for my pardini.

I am sure that there are others out there just as good but how good do you need?

Regards
Crankster
mister G

Post by mister G »

I'm still using the same procedure that's worked for me for 40 years. For routine cleaning the Bore Snake is fine for the chamber and the bore. However, the muzzle (you know, where the projectile leaves the bore) may need attention as a build-up of crud (burnt powder) needs to be removed to make the exit unaffected .
Personally, I use a piece of fine abrasive cloth on my fingertip and manually remove the build-up.

Your mileage may vary.
Red12

Post by Red12 »

Rover wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:14 am Yeah, get the Bore Snake. There's nothing so satisfying as dragging a crud-laden wad repeatedly through your bore while sawing away at the crown with an abrasive string,
Point taken. Thank you.

The Force (of sarcasm) is strong in you 😂

J
Red12

Post by Red12 »

crankythunder wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:31 am Hey John:

Now I am not sure if a bore snake will damage your barrel with repeated use but I use a patch worm almost exclusively.

While a patch worm is not much more then a simple cloth patch with a plastic pull but what I think really helps is that I use some of the "wonderstuff muricle" firearm cleaner, lubricant, protectant fluids that are available today. There are a million of them out there and I am not sure one is better then the other but I have used Ezzox, Gunzilla, Anschutz Ceramic, and Iosso on my expensive 22 LR .........

Regards
Crankster
That’s a very detailed answer. This rookie thanks you from the bottom of his heart ♥️.

J
Red12

Post by Red12 »

mister G wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:17 am I'm still using the same procedure that's worked for me for 40 years. For routine cleaning the Bore Snake is fine for the chamber and the bore. However, the muzzle (you know, where the projectile leaves the bore) may need attention as a build-up of crud (burnt powder) needs to be removed to make the exit unaffected .
Personally, I use a piece of fine abrasive cloth on my fingertip and manually remove the build-up......
Thank you. I’m afraid of damaging the muzzle end. I think I’ll use a patch worm...

J
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

The most important thing to keep clean on the MP90S is the chamber, which you should do with a .25 cal brush bent into an L. Personally, I only clean the barrel when shots start keyholing, which is caused by small lead deposits and typically thousands of shots. I suggest shooting it for a while and getting a feel for what it needs. Lots of us here to help kibitz, if you like. Do a search in the Olympic Pistol subforum here for many threads.
Red12

Post by Red12 »

-TT- wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:12 pm The most important thing to keep clean on the MP90S is the chamber, which you should do with a .25 cal brush bent into an L. Personally, I only clean the barrel when shots start keyholing, which is caused by small lead deposits and typically thousands of shots. I suggest shooting it for a while and getting a feel for what it needs. Lots of us here to help kibitz, if you like. Do a search in the Olympic Pistol subforum here for many threads.
Thank you...that’s very helpful!

J
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Dear Red:

Probably the best thing you can do to access the condition of your benelli pistol barrel is to angle a piece of white paper in the breach and put your good old mark 1 eyeball up to the muzzle. Make note of the rifling, any pitting, how shiny. take a picture if you want to when you first get it.

You can see a lot if you just look for it.

Regards,
crankster
Red12

Post by Red12 »

crankythunder wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:23 pm Dear Red:

Probably the best thing you can do to access the condition of your benelli pistol barrel is to angle a piece of white paper in the breach and put your good old mark 1 eyeball up to the muzzle. Make note of the rifling, any pitting, how shiny. take a picture if you want to when you first get it.

You can see a lot if you just look for it.

Regards,
crankster
Thank you again. It’s something I already did with my Buck Mark, so I’m glad it’s a good habit.

J
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

There seems to be enough space to drop a rod through, screw a brush on then pull it out.
A bit tedious maybe.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

A "pistol" (short) brush can be used like that, yes. You'll trip the bolt latch a time or two though.

You can easily brush from the rear of the Benelli frame if you remove the grip. But honestly, it's not something to do very often. Wait until the shots start keyholing, early sign of barrel leading. Usually well over a thousand shots.
JamesHH

Post by JamesHH »

So take the bolt out, or the grip if you can then brush from the rear, doesn't really seem like a big deal.
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

Ramrodz makes a long qtip I cant see how you could hurt the crown if you clean from the muzzle end with one.
Tangohammerli

Post by Tangohammerli »

I have when convenient stayed with the thought process that most things go from breach to muzzle and prefer to avoid inserting anything from the muzzle end. I use coated caliber specific rods and patches only on the 22s.
My 25 year old Anschutz has never seen a brush, but for the breach (bent 25cal brush) and she still holds xring at 100yrds without too much effort.
I don't own anything "rimfire" that "must" insert muzzle first...
Not on purpose, just worked out that way.
Now revolvers, that's a different story.....
Two Shanks

Post by Two Shanks »

I have when convenient stayed with the thought process that most things go from breach to muzzle and prefer to avoid inserting anything from the muzzle end.
Totally agree and like Otis and patch worm but ramrodz is just wound cotton on a wooden stick but you are right cleaning from breach is preferable.