Homemade turning target system.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Homemade turning target system.

Post by 1066 »

Just thought you guys might like to see my homemade turning targets. Obviously can't compare with a professional pneumatic system but fun none the less. Fully portable and the timings can be set what ever you need.

https://youtu.be/wqX8wGTrGVw
bdutton

Re: Homemade turning target system.

Post by bdutton »

Nice system. It would be interesting to know what the internals are made up of and how the electronics and connections are done.

Also, the center board is likely to get shot up and compromise the target pretty quickly. I think you would need to design a target holder that would wrap around the edges of the target.

Post by 1066 »

Thank you. Yes, agree about the target board. I just made that board quick to see if the motor was man enough for the 24" target. I've now made up a couple of frames and have also made another base that slaves off the master one.

It has a small radio receiver, a digital relay timer that can be programmed by buttons on the timer (Like setting the date on your camera/watch etc)
You can set the edge time, face time and number of exposures. The relays operate the windscreen wiper motor.

Windscreen wipers normally have a parking circuit, so if they have started a sweep, they continue the sweep then stop. All I have dome is disconnect the internal parking circuit and made two external parking circuits with limit switches.

When the timer relay activates, the motor starts until it hits the limit switch, then stop until it's set time is up.
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

Bravo!!!

I love seeing folks creating useful tools as you have.

Wish I were smart enough to tackle the electronics part.

Cheers,

David

Post by 1066 »

This is my third generation turning targets system I've just finished for my local indoor 25yd club. Since shooting the video I have upgraded it again to give faster turning of the targets. The four pre-set timers are set for the usual sequences we shoot but can be set for any exposure/edge time and any amount of exposures.

Although the one at my club is screwed to the wall as a permanent fixture the whole system is quite self contained and portable. The target actuators in our case are top mounted behind steel baffles but they can quite easily be floor standing with a suitable target support framework, and the turning direction of the targets can easily be switched.

https://youtu.be/qQGab6uy_8w
Boozyuk

Post by Boozyuk »

Hi,

This is fantastic, and I would love to be able to build my own version of this for our rifle club. Are you able to share how they are made (components, diagrams)?

Many thanks,
Rod