Looking for a high quality rotating angled eyepiece spotter

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

crankythunder

Looking for a high quality rotating angled eyepiece spotter

Post by crankythunder »

Ok guys:

I have been going to a lot of new ranges and my old spotter is not cutting it with the variable lighting conditions. Looking to upgrade.

Current scope is a ancient champions choice 23 x 50 spotter that is average quality. Would like something better.

I have looked through the new 15x30x50 champion choice spotter that costs a little bit more then $100. Would like something with more clarity and brightness.

http://www.champchoice.com/store/Main.a ... tem=CC1030

I gotta have one that rotates so I can get it set just right to see the target with minimal body position movement.

Anybody using the Minox MD 50 scope:

https://www.amazon.com/MINOX-MD-50-Spot ... eature_div

If so please comment on the optical quality of this spotter.

Does the NG rotate in the mount?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373078029069

Would like a Kowa 501 but they are the fixed mount and do not rotate. Had one, drove me nuts. Not doing that again.

Any others out there that I should be considering? Would like actual hands on experience and evaluations if possible.

Thank you,

Crankster
gbowers

Re: Looking for a high quality rotating angled eyepiece spotter

Post by gbowers »

I have one the the NG scopes that I use for 10 M AP, the eye piece does rotate. For 50 yards I leverage a vortex razor (with the angled eyepiece) I can clearly see 22 holes even in low light.
sparky

Post by sparky »

The NG rotates. It's an awesome spotting scope. Probably the smallest and lightest of the bunch, but still great quality. I can see .22 holes at 50 yards and it works good for 10m air pistol too. It's worth the cash.
JC Hayes

Post by JC Hayes »

Celestron, good quality, not much money

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52322- ... 86&sr=8-24
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Crankster, were you able to make a choice? Can you share what you picked and why?

Regards,

Mike
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

F/V Icy Swan wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:07 am Crankster, were you able to make a choice? Can you share what you picked and why?

Regards,

Mike

unfortunately, Mike, I was not able to make a choice, but I made a temporary decision.

I went and purchased one of the NG 20x spotters after it was demonstrated to me that they have a rotating eyepiece. received the scope and was impressed with the optical clarity, weight, compactness. But the eye relief is unacceptable. my eyelashes clean the dust off the eyepiece when looking through this thing. Problem is, the scope is so damn cute and attractive I have added it to my stable as my ultra compact, ultra lightweight, extremely capable spotting scope that has so little eye clearance that it is unusable for shooting competitions that require eye protection.

Looks and functions like something James Bond, shaken not stirred, would use.

Since I have temporarily put rifle shooting on the back burner, I have pulled out my Kowa 601 with the 25 power long eye relief eyepiece and am seriously considering making it my permanent bullseye scope. Yeah, it will not fit in the box, it is big, gotta carry it with a separate bag. but damn, the view is amazing.

Using it today I shot a 95 slow fire, let me clarify,,,,, I shot a 95 slow fire with 8 tens and was using the scope to verify my called shots and it gave me the confidence to continue the high dollar shooting string. Ended up with a high master score although it was only a practice session.

got some technical improvements in the mount to make with a high quality camera ball joint tripod head but I am working on it and should get it figured out soon. Downside is that it forces me to carry a second bag to the range but I was already carrying a second bag with extra targets, staplers, eyeglass wipes, staples, water, insect stuff, with a beer can opener on the side so no big deal.

Regards,
Crankster
F/V Icy Swan

Post by F/V Icy Swan »

Crankster,

That information is incredibly helpful. I get the default to having more gear and thus more bags/boxes. I have a couple of small scopes, including a Champions Choice scope, that do OK for pistol, but I am starting to shoot HiPower matches and wanted better glass, which sounds like the bigger Kowa probably is the way to go.

The eye relief thing is a big deal. As an Ancient Shooter eyes are big consideration, particularly ease of use with glasses. I agree the NG looks super cute, but it doesn't sound like it will actually fit the bill.

Thank you for your feedback and experience. It helps a lot in sorting out equipment. And who doesn't love equipment.

Mike
divingin

Post by divingin »

Late to the party. I have the Minox; I'd call the optical quality "OK to good". Certainly not great. It does not rotate (not a huge deal for me, as I largely shoot at the same venue.) The zoom is very stiff, and the focus is very sensitive (a little too fast for my liking.) It does come in a straight configuration as well for anyone looking to save a little space.
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Follow up

well, I purchased the Minox WD 50 and contrary to what the previous poster stated, it does rotate although he rated it as Good to High quality, I would temper that with a Good quality leaning to the high. It is better then the current champions choice offering for pistol boxes, very well constructed and nice and compact. Zoom and focus are a bit stiff but online reviews state that they will soften up with use.

It is a nice little scope, not on the same optical quality level of the Kowa 601 but pretty good. eye relief varies with power level and I need to set it at about 20 power to use with eyeglasses. If you do not tighten down the rotating lock ring, the scope will rotate in its mount when you go to focus it.

I was able to pick mine up for about $225.00 new in box off ebay. I would be disappointed if I had paid the asking new price of $350 or so from the optical supply houses. Probably would have sent it back had I purchased it new.

Am I a thoroughly satisfied purchaser? Unfortunately no I am not, but I do not think that the animal exists that I am hunting. I own a small kowa spotter, the NG spotter, and my ancient CC spotter and the Minox is the best of the bunch. I have looked through the vortex and others and although they do not rotate, their quality is not that much (if any) better. Cannot say that I have ever looked through a pistol box spotter and exclaimed that this spotter is awesome, I gotta get me one.

Regards,
Crankster
pcw

Post by pcw »

Hey Cranky,

What do you think of the Kowa 501? I have been looking at spotting scopes and decided that I don't need an objective lens larger than 60mm. There are several compact scopes like the MInox or the 501 that make me wonder if I would get the image I want at 50 meters with a compact scope. what do you think?
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

Hey PCW:

I own a Kowa 501 and it works but nothing to write home about. About the same as a NG, the current Champions Choice pistol box spotter, and a number of other mediocre spotters I have seen on everybody pistol box.

Have to say that my Minox WD 50 is about the best I have found although it does not have that WOW Factor.

I looked though a Kowa 601 and said WOW! I gotta get me one of these and so I went out and bought one. Extremely versatile spotter (especially with the two eyepieces I have) that is compact and convenient. It just does not fit in my pistol box and is a bit big and heavy for the box too.

A couple months ago I was at a high power match and looked through a Athlon 20x60x80 and said WOW! I gotta get me one of these and so I searched and got one from NYCameraland. It is big and heavy and better then the Kowa 601 but the view takes your breath away.

I just have not been able to find that Wow factor for a pistol box scope and believe that I will have to settle on the Minox WD 50 as the best that is out there.

Regards,
CRankster
pcw

Post by pcw »

Hey Cranky,
Which model of the Athlon scopes did you get? I have been eyeing their Ares 15-45x60 and the 7.5-22x50. At a certain price point you get into different eyepieces with any of the nicer scopes, how much value do you find in that?
crankythunder

Post by crankythunder »

I got the 80 mm cronus and am simply amazed at the optical quality. Now i do not know anything about color aberations, fringing , or any of the thousand terms used to describe a scope but i do know a good one when i look through it.

I set this athlon cronus up next to a zeiss, leika, swarofski, and top dollar kowa and i can tell a difference between all of the spotters but i would be hard pressed to declare which one is best.

I am thinking about getting the 50mm cronus for my pistol box even though it does not rotate. Thinking hard about that one.

Regards,
Cranky
Sc0

Post by Sc0 »

I first started with a Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 ($700?)
Had to use a Manfrotto MA494RC2 ball head type mount on the shooting box arm for adjustment, downfall was weight, and size. If considering mounting it to the lid off a bullseye box the adjustments weren't ideal and a stable image is hard to get due to its weight flexing the mounting arm. Now for anything else, it's a powerhouse. My current F-Class and everything else scope which includes 1000yd matches.

Celestron ‑ Landscout 10‑30x50 ($60?)
It has some optical trade-offs but it's super compact and lightweight, does everything that a bullseye shooter could want especially the ability to rotate in the mount which gives you flexibility in it's placement.