Gallery Pistol Question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

prowling

Gallery Pistol Question

Post by prowling »

Just wondering how many of us on here shoot 50' smallbore "gallery" pistol anymore? I always enjoyed it, and am getting back into again after several years, but I'm wondering how many others still practice and/or compete in this sport?

Inquiring mind(s) want(s) to know ...
TomAmlie

Re: Gallery Pistol Question

Post by TomAmlie »

We have a local league that's been slowly dying off (but it's far healthier than the local smallbore rifle league, where of the 4 clubs there's always a team each week which can't muster 4 shooters for the team score). I'm guilty of not participating any more as well; just too many responsibilities on my plate to show up each Wednesday, especially since every other week is "away" with travel times that can reach an hour.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

We have a club team here which shoots the indoor Gallery every Wednesday evening, year-round. No road trips though. We shoot .22-only and keep score October through March (ish) and shoot for fun the rest of the year. We have ~20 shooters, of which usually 10-15 arrive on a given night during match season. There are a many similar teams in the area (eastern and central Massachusetts and nearby).
bking

Post by bking »

We have an active team of 12-ish shooters, probably average age 35 at my club in Portland. Winters we have a competition league of 8 clubs spread over 100 miles up & down the Willamette valley with similar membership.
Shooterer

Post by Shooterer »

Could someone explain pistol gallery? Is it the same as NRA only at 50’?
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Shooterer wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 pm Could someone explain pistol gallery? Is it the same as NRA only at 50’?
In our league it's 20 shots slow, 20 timed, 20 rapid.
-TT-

Post by -TT- »

Shooterer wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:07 pm Could someone explain pistol gallery? Is it the same as NRA only at 50’?
Typically it's a single National Match Course (30 shots) fired indoors at 50 feet (B2/B3 targets) with .22LR only. Some clubs will tweak to 25yd, vary the caliber, make it a 600, etc.The basic course is great for small ranges though, since it's fired in under 20 minutes and everyone gets a chance every week. We shoot a 20-week season, 11 to qualify for the fabulous prizes. Getting together regularly with other shooters is the priceless part.
prowling

Post by prowling »

Yeah, I always enjoyed Gallery Pistol back in the ‘80s & ‘90s. I think the last time I was active with it was right after the turn of the century ... ‘01 or ‘02. I was on a winter postal league in Maine, and we had a pretty good turnout every week for “postal night.” Still shooting the same Supermatic Trophy my dad competed with in the ‘60s & ‘70s, though I did have Larry put an Ultra Dot on it back in the early days after I inherited it. I agree that it is a great option for those classic indoor ranges with 50’ lines, or for outdoor shooting on short bays. I’m even working on adding the B-2/B-3 options to the Inband 50 target so I can shoot on an electronic system. Wish my dad was still around, he would’ve loved that his old High Standard is moving into the computer age ... or maybe not. LOL
prowling

Post by prowling »

Heading to the range tomorrow to test the B-2 target inclusion on the Inband 50 system, I'll try to post some pictures later in the afternoon ... fingers crossed that it doesn't rain!