32 s&w l wc and WST

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

j danielsson

32 s&w l wc and WST

Post by j danielsson »

A friend of mine got a can of WST powder. We have never seen this stuff in our part of the world before, and we can not find any loading data for this cartridge on the internet either.
The plan is to get some accuracy at 25m with a Walther GSP and 90 grains hbwc, and the question is; what is a good starting load?
/ j
rmca

Re: 32 s&w l wc and WST

Post by rmca »

Taking into account this burn rate chart,
https://www.lhs-germany.de/fileadmin/me ... ._2018.pdf

The powder is a little slower than Bullseye or Vectan Ba10 (that I use to load 98 gr wc).
This means that you can use the values for those powders as a starting point for the one you have.

I would start at 1.2gr and work up in .1gr increments. My educated guess is that you'll end up with a charge weight of about 1.8gr to 2.2gr...
A chronograf is paramount to this. Without one, you are reloading blind...
Do one shot at the time, and make sure the bullet leaft the barrel before shooting the netx one, specially on the first shots.

Stop when you reach about 720 fps, or if you see signs of excessive pressure.

Hope this helps
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Thank you for your reply. I have been thinking of 1.2 as a starting point myself, but l was hoping to get a little more spot on directly and l suspect 1.2 to be..... annoyingly careful.
l have been making ladders like this before but only once have l used data from an other powder. I used my load for vv310 as a reference for vv320, thought l could go higher but ended up lower. That confuses me.
/j
fc60

Post by fc60 »

Greetings,

I have used plenty of WST with 98 grain bullets. 1.6 (one point six) grains worked very well and velocity was about 720 FPS.

WST does not seem to perform well with light charges. Velocity spreads are great.

WST does meter well and is bulkier than most of the usual powders.

Cheers,

Dave
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Ok, then l suggest to my friend that he starts with 1,6. Assuming the 90 gr bullet really needs a little more. If he does what he usually does, load up 2000 for testing, they will all go in flight. Funnier to discharge than using a hammer.
Thank you.
/j
DGIDE

Post by DGIDE »

A Pardini with one of Daves barrels in 32 S&W Long, a good 98grn HBWC and 1.8 grs of WST, will hold the Ten ring at 50yds all day long. The set up will do this, but probably not with me holding it. To many shakes.
mister G

Post by mister G »

I agree with DGide on his load. I haven't varied from the 98grain HBWC over 1.7 - 1.8 grains of WST for decades. The other "trick" is to use two seating dies, one to seat the HBWC a little high, and then buy the Profile Crimp die to give the cartridge its final roll crimp.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Report from friend;
1.6 is very good overall. Will probably be perfect with 1.8 for the 90 grain bullet.
For 98 grain bullet probably 1.7 will do.

I got to try 1.6 with 98 (.314) myself and l think l can actually spend some money on that combo. Pleasant and accurate in my pardini with .311 bore, 12" twist.
Thank you
/j
mister G

Post by mister G »

Just a historical note on powder for the 32 S&W-Long loads ... V V (the Finnish powder) has been excellent for this caliber, but it's expensive and it's not consistently repeatable on my scale(s) at the very low powder weights.

My opinion is that the OPs recommendations are spot on.

And remember, IMO whether using HBWC or double-ended wad cutters, 3rd stage seat a tad high and put a slight role crimp on with a profile die.
ghillieman

Post by ghillieman »

Start with 1.5gr WST and adjust up for function.
Crimp also plays a huge part in the .32 wadcutter.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I just recently got a pair of .32 S&W Long WC pistols, a Sig Hammerli P240 and a Benelli MP3S. Star Machine is making me Star Progressive in .32 S&W and wanted to know if I wanted both Crimp Dies, so I assume from these posts, that I should get the extra die?

Also the only .32 Caliber WC projectiles I have been able to get are 98 grain but they are sold and not How Base. Are the hollow base better and who makes them and where might I find them?

Thanks, Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Get the taper crimp die, even if you may not use it.
I am doing it on a singlestage. PITA.

H&N, Lapua and Fiocchi makes HB bullits for reloaders. Fiocchi are coated with teflon.
Lately l have been casting with a HB mold from MP- mold . Very addictive.
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Usually when l try out a new charge weight l try various amounts of both taper and roll crimp.
Sometimes there is no difference, but when there is, l always get more accuracy with taper.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Looks like the Lapua are 83 or 100 grain, but are solid and not hollow base. I did pick up 1,000 Meister Solid 100 grain WC. I see Lapua offers L and No L, which looks like it means Lubricated. Have found the H&N but not the Fiocchi yet.

So what does everyone recommend as the best combination. I bought Starlite Brass and some Magtech ammo from Target Sports USA. Should I switch to Lapua Brass?

Thanks Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
j danielsson

Post by j danielsson »

Both the 83 and the 98 from lapua are hollow base.
I have never noticed the L.
Different stuff in different market?
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

Midway had the 98 grainers in stock, but they did not show the "L" nor mention it. On the Lapua Site, they show the two different versions for each weight and I did find there cross section picture showing the partial hollow base. I order 1,000 and a few hundred pieces of Lapua Brass. The Lapua Factory ammo for the .32 is a little over a $1.00 per round, but I have ordered a box to see what dimensions they use and what crimp configuration. I should not have enough components to last me for a while, just need to find out what combination each of my .32s like to eat.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
Dipnet

Post by Dipnet »

I used to shoot 32 S&WL when I owned a GSP but sold it in 2014. I do have load data, which includes a starting load with WST (I did not chronograph it unfortunately). The best powder I found was VV N310; however, experiment with WST. It's fine grain size meters very well and produces good groups with 32 ACP to 45 ACP. Cheers, dipnet
Attachments
32 S&W long load data.pdf
(77.98 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I have 8 pounds of WST being delivered on Monday and have both Bullseye and 130, so I look forward to seeing what I can come up with. When I finalize it, I will make sure that I have the correct powder bushings for my Star reloader.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
WA2YDV
mister G

Post by mister G »

FWIW, save the Bullseye for another caliber. IMO Bullseye is dirtier than W231, WST and other powders. It is also more dense.